Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    i went with a high powered/budget build:P took some healthy corners in some less important areas and went big with the power

My Rig:

Case: Antec v2 two hundred
    Motherboard: Gigabyte z68x-UD3H- B3
    Power Supply: Antec HCG 620
    Processor: Intel Core i5-2500k 4.5GHz no TB
    CPU Cooler: Coolermaster V6GT
    Memory: Corsair CLS9 2x4gb
    Graphics Card 1: Gigabyte 1GB GeForce GTX 560 OC'd to 910mhz
    Hard Drive: 2x320gb Hitachi 5200
    SSD: OCZ agility 3 60gb

External Hardware:
    Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Mouse: Razer Naga
    Headset: TT eSports Shock
    Desktop Speakers: Logitech 2.1
    Monitor 1: 21.5" Acer LCD Display

Well, prices are popping up. About 550 bucks for the HD 7970, 450 for the 7950. And the damned things won't even show in stores before February/March.

This puts it above the GTX 580's 3GB editions in price, so I'm more leaning towards the Gainward GTX 580 3GB (Phantom edition). Or alternatively just the 1.5GB editions, I'm not sure. The more I think about it 3GB seems stupid.
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2011-12-06 at 07:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Well, prices are popping up. About 550 bucks for the HD 7970, 450 for the 7950. And the damned things won't even show in stores before February/March.

This puts it above the GTX 580's 3GB editions in price, so I'm more leaning towards the Gainward GTX 580 3GB (Phantom edition). Or alternatively just the 1.5GB editions, I'm not sure.
    That Gainward is a cool looking card!

It's apparently louder than the reference card though. >> And only reason I'd buy it was because it was the cheapest GTX 580 around. I don't want to pay for cooler, brand or warranties if none of them are going to be applicable, as I believe would the case be if I was to watercool it. :U

Although an alternative would be EVGA's own waterblocked series, where you would presumably still maintain a warranty, but they sure like a premium for the product's feature... Which mostly includes the fact it's a complete product with backplate, waterblock, single PCIe slot taken, stock overclocked, etc, so there shouldn't be a need to modify the card itself in any regard I suppose.
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2011-12-06 at 07:41 PM.

Actually, from what I've been reading, it's $450 for the 7970, $350 for the 7950 and then you got the 7990 for $700.

Going to be picking the 7970 up to crossfire with my 6970.

Quote Originally Posted by Adorada View Post
    Actually, from what I've been reading, it's $450 for the 7970, $350 for the 7950 and then you got the 7990 for $700.
    Compare sources? Mine's hardware.no, but how much I'd trust them on it I'm not sure of.

And obviously, it's probably not even the price it will have like a month after release, but by then it's been 1/3rd of a frigging year and I'm not waiting that long.

Compare sources?
    Well, one of the sites was http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news...itectures.aspx. Then again, I have also heard prices ranging from $250-$550. Only time will tell.

Hot damn the watercooled GTX 580s from EVGA are sexy, but... that's a lot of money simply for warranty, cooler block, backplate and a single PCI slot taken.

10+ Year Old Account
    Evga's Classified Hydro is even sexier.

Well, I can't seem to find good reviews for it. Living up to the name a bit too much?

Even if you did get the GTX 580 today, you need to realise that the HD7800-series are due soon as well.
    Which are basically higher clocked shrinks of the HD6900-series. Which won't be as costly. Seeing how close the HD6900-series are already, chances are they will be quite comparable for 2000 SEK, or USD 300, compared to the GTX 580 3GiB eVGA classified running at 5639SEK or 829 USD atm.
    Meaning, you will be stuck with a card that will be upper midranged, by your definition (if you consider the GTX 470 upper midrange), ie, a generation old (compared to the GTX 580 which is a step up, but only half a generation older).

"Soon" being in frigging, what is it, May? -_-

Also, stuck with? Well, if they're ever going to be as cheap as described, I'm sure I can figure out how to get it at that time. :U Aaaaaand I'll probably just build a third computer on the side.

Also, I completely forget that I'm using the GTX 470; I keep thinking it's the GTX 560ti! -_-

May for GTX 600-series, yes. In the same sense the HD7900-series will be availible mid-Jan.
    The HD7800-series and the HD7900-series are set to be released at the same time. Of course, this is pre-hand information.
    And of course, both the GTX 600-series and HD7000-series will be officially released two weeks before they hit the shelves.

Both the Cayman and the second generation of Fermi (GTX 500) only feels like half a generation-shift to me. This will also introduce a shrink.
    I'm thinking this will be akin to how the HD5870 almost beat out the GTX 295. That'd be like the HD7970 coming close to the GTX 590.
    I was originally intending to go back to nVidia and keep it every other card, but I'm thinking the HD7900-series are too good to pass up, personally.

But hey, apparantly I'm an AMD fanboy just because I still maintain they have good points, and not thinking everything is about nVidia.
    :P

i5 2500k @ stock (getting a new cooler soon and then ill OC it)
    GTX 560 Twin Frozr II
    8GB Mushkin Blackline
    Gigabyte Z68X UD3H

I'm mostly saying May because dammit, things are slow from "official release" to the time they actually seem to appear in stores.

---------- Post added 2011-12-06 at 11:18 PM ----------

Oh, and I can apparently get a pair of GTX 580s (already complete with waterblocks) for 5500 + shipping. They're the 1.5GB, but damn...

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, and I can apparently get a pair of GTX 580s (already complete with waterblocks) for 5500 + shipping. They're the 1.5GB, but damn...
    Is that supposed to be expensive or a price drop? Here in America 580s are still just as expensive.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Is that supposed to be expensive or a price drop? Here in America 580s are still just as expensive.
    They're a private person selling. For comparison, a single card with the same waterblock would be about 4200... each.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    *cellphone camera sucks I know, am soo sorry*
    Even though that is borderline "too much lightshow" for my taste, I still find it extremely cool. The first shot of the interior with the H100 looks so excessively sexy in that blue light. Too bad the camera most likely doesn't do it justice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I have no idea what this means, but I don't think it applies to us anyway.
    in the US we are taxed higher then we are supposed to be on our income(most but not all), this leads to the IRS (tax bureau) to have to hand out a refund check at tax time, most people love doing their taxes because it means a nice check in the mail from the government, this literally leads to more computer sales then black friday, it's just over the course of a few months

There's also quite a few who save up money doing so; they'll intentionally pay the "wrong" class of tax so they get a fatter tax return.