Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by durza View Post
    are you implying mercury has a magnetic field? i was fairly certain earth was pretty special for having one. that and the fact most scientist are brainstorming ways to protect us from radiation once we get to mars sorta implied that planets having magnetic fields was rare/special
    Many bodies in our solar system have a magnetic field. The first one I can name off the top of my head would be Jupiter, but other planets and even moons have them too. The Sun has one as well.

Also, Mars used to have one, but since it was so small it couldn't sustain itself and it eventually cooled. Before that time, the planet was probably habitable to some degree. Certainly not like Earth though.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncanîdaho View Post
    Mass Effect got it wrong. It's orbiting Mercury! :P
    One can only dream...

*cries*

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maharishi View Post
    While I see absolutely no reason to assume it's a ship, mercury has a pretty weak magnetosphere. I don't think it extends to the point where that flare is on the video.

That being said, I may add a link to this video for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias .
    Unlike earths magnetic field, Mercuries magnetic poles face the sun. Kinda like this:

probably has a lot to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    Unlike earths magnetic field, Mercuries magnetic poles face the sun. Kinda like this:

duuuuuuuude fuuuuuzzzzzziee im trippin

i really doubt its a spaceship anyways its problly just a anonmaly

10+ Year Old Account

Your hypnotic gifs have no power over me.

OT: Mercury's crazy, son.

10+ Year Old Account

Can't. Look. Away.

Prolly has something to do with the close proximity

I can see what you me- ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOFUZZZIE!

10+ Year Old Account
    My math skills might rival a piece of cardboard, but wouldn't a ship the size of a planet right next to a planet have visible gravitational effects?
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxi View Post
    My math skills might rival a piece of cardboard, but wouldn't a ship the size of a planet right next to a planet have visible gravitational effects?
    Anti-gravity.

Get with the program!

Read the news sometime: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...154443870.html

Its actually an imaging artifact of the planet's surface caused by the techniques used to filter background light in space (and time distortion caused by it.) Especially in Mercury's case, as it's a faster moving object than we are.

Sorry to burst your bubble.
    "And what's the real lesson? Don't leave food in the fridge."
    -Spike Spiegel

I just liked the way the narrator said, "Obviously it's cloaked."
    Oh, yes, obviously. lol
    That's how science works, after all. You observe something once and make conclusions that cannot be argued with(!)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maharishi View Post
    You just need a spinning liquid iron core, which mars doesn't have because it's cooled. That being said, mercury isn't in a great position to "cool off". A marginally useful paper on empirical data about mercury's magentosphere: http://www-ssc.igpp.ucla.edu/personn...pers/merc_mag/
    thank you for sharing your vast knowledge with me master splinter, for it has enlightened me (no sarcasm)
    Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haha, holy fucking crap.

America <'3

---------- Post added 2011-12-08 at 02:54 AM ----------

Alien life sighted on planet earth, cloaked in the water.

its like signs all over again. wtb alien invasion

10+ Year Old Account
    If this is real then I hope that the ships just peacefully observing, not a warship.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowlich View Post
    If this is real then I hope that the ships just peacefully observing, not a warship.
    Oh, it's real all right, and it is a warship, but their species is weak to marshmallows and nothing else, so their weapons, only firing marshmallows, can't reach us.
    The people with the most to say generally know the least.
    I prove the above statement.

Deleted
    Its obviously THIS

But really, it could be something, could be nothing, could be SOMEONE!

But if they don't want to talk with us, we're probably not gonna see them.

To me the most interesting thing was to see Uranus in the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxi View Post
    Doubtfully visible over such a short timespan, but if a sufficiently large/small object were to get close enough, the object's path would change. Even if it's a cloaked ship, and even if it's that big, we will be unable to see it again since it probably has moved away.

The most likely reason I can come up with is that, it's nothing more than a gas bubble or space debris from a shuttle or a failed attempt at a space station, like the ISS. Mercury's magnetic field, however strange it may be, cannot possibly extend in a somewhat rectangle shape in one way and be as thick as the diameter of the planet. It also seemed to me to have a tube shaped area right on the upper part of the anomaly.

It's a very interesting find though, and it would be a lot of fun to figure out what it really is.

P.S.:

For those who believe it might be a space ship, I encourage you to go to youtube and look up "Michio Kaku 3 types of civilization". It might give you some answers as to why you haven't been analy probed yet.
    Last edited by Drihan; 2011-12-08 at 02:33 AM.
    Intel i7-5820k @ 4.5 GHz
    Asus Rampage V Extreme x99
    Asus GTX 980
    32GB DDR4 RAM
    Windows 10 Home x64