i7 2600k vs 2700k?

So someone is boldly holding onto the claim that the 2700k is "so much better" than the 2600k. Rather than caring to even go back to this discussion with him, I thought I'd ask here if the difference is genuine.

There we go, that off my chest. Please do tell!

It's the same chip with a 100MHz faster stock speed. AFAIK, the 2700k doesn't have any higher chance of getting a higher overclock speed (or lower voltage/temperatures/etc)... it all boils down to luck like always.

Although, the 2700 is numerically higher than 2600... so it must be better

Don't they make the same processor, then via how stable it is during a test, label it 2600k vs 2700k vs ect?
    Moo.

JonBoy, that is what we call binning. However, the 2600k and 2700k are so close I'm seriously in doubt that this is happening, and even if it is it's still going to be completely up to luck when you start to get into burning the poor thing for overclocks.

Unless, of course, the 2700k are unicorn magic. And that's what has me skeptical, not to mention aggravated, as the waste of space of a person would go on to harass me about how I was "incompetent and not up to date on today's technology"... But it's obvious that there has never been any updates. It's the same darned line of production as before, but now they may have picked a very specific bin because they have a critical mass of them...?

The 2700K is a higher binned CPU. This is no different from what they've done with the i5-2300/2400/2500, i7-920, i7-930, i7-940, i7-950 and the i7-960. The i7-980x, i7-990x.
    Or the Phenom II x4 955, 965, 970, 980

To name a few examples.
    However, it's just not about binning them higher.
    They qualify for higher values, and are likely better CPUs to use for overclocking, if you are insisting on reaching as high as possible.
    You will (likely) reach higher with the i7-2700K than the i7-2600K. But as always, no guarantees. Sandy Bridge is voltage-capped in terms of overclocking, and the 2700K has been said to require less, and thus can almost reach the 2600K's cap, but within the safe voltage ranges.
    I also don't remember if it's a new stepping, which are almost always guaranteed to perform better.

Although, after 4.6 GHz, you are unlikely to notice the increase in speed outside of measuring with benchmarks

edit-
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    JonBoy, that is what we call binning. However, the 2600k and 2700k are so close I'm seriously in doubt that this is happening, and even if it is it's still going to be completely up to luck when you start to get into burning the poor thing for overclocks.
    Binning is done via multipliers; they are usually in increments of one.
    Sandy Bridge is no different in this. But previously, the stock BCLK was 133 (1366, 1155) so it might be perceived higher. And Sandy Bridge 100.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2011-12-12 at 06:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sadly from what HWBot.org and Overclock.net have shown, the 2700K clocks worse than the 2600K overall. So you're paying for an extra 100mhz that can be done easily with no extra settings needed on the 2600K.

How many samples? I've seen i7-2700Ks clock as high/higher as the highest (safely air cooled) 2600Ks but with lower voltage.

What temperatures are they reaching at that stage though? Seems they'd be likely to bump into the temperature wall eventually like that.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    What Intel actually said was the i7-2700K was the exact same chip as the 2600K in every way however it can "overclock better." Not a different stepping or anything.
    Last edited by DeltrusDisc; 2011-12-12 at 09:37 PM.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    (..)the i7-2600K (..) exact same (..) as (..) 2600K
    I should definitely hope so.

Oh no, our 2600k production line has entered 4th dimension!

So someone is boldly holding onto the claim that the 2700k is "so much better" than the 2600k. Rather than caring to even go back to this discussion with him, I thought I'd ask here if the difference is genuine.

There we go, that off my chest. Please do tell!
    I would say go with the 2600k. Its not so different between 2600k or 2700k. If you really are needing numbers that really shows above 2600k, then go Ivy Bridge with the up coming 3770k

Quote Originally Posted by Sony View Post
    I would say go with the 2600k. Its not so different between 2600k or 2700k. If you really are needing numbers that really shows above 2600k, then go Ivy Bridge with the up coming 3770k
    This is the computer discussion, not the computer build help forum, so alas, I'm not buying anything. I'm mostly just discussing about.

This is the computer discussion, not the computer build help forum, so alas, I'm not buying anything. I'm mostly just discussing about.
    Then Ex-QiUz me, didn´t get that from the start

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I should definitely hope so.
    I think you got the point.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water