Thread: Upgrading PC

10+ Year Old Account

Upgrading PC

Hey

Budget: Around £600

Resolution: 1920-1080 main screen, use duel screen, second monitor is 1400x600

Games / Settings Desired: All new games, max settings. (Not too bothered about AA)

Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc): I do 3D Modeling and some video editing, but i don't really mind if my pc is super built for that, my main focus is gaming.

Parts that can be reused:

Current Build

RAM - 8 GB DDR2
    CPU - i5 760 @ 2.80GHz
    GPU - 1.2GB GTX 570
    HDD - Random 1TB thing (no clue)
    MOBO - Asus P7P55 LX, Intel P55 Express, S1156, PCI-E 2.0 (x16), DDR3 2200(OC), SATA 3Gb/s, SATA RAID, ATX

I Want to go SLI 570, but i was told by a friend that with my current MOBO i'll most likely get underperformance doing that on my current mobo. Which means i want a new one, which then means i need a new cpu too, and to add to that i'm thinking of getting a SSD to make things faster, as loading speeds sometimes can be a bit crappy.

The SSD isn't needed tbh, but i want to replace MOBO, CPU and get another GTX 570 (not a 580).

I'll 100% be using www.scan.co.uk to buy the parts, it's near to where i live, and the prices are reasonable.

Thanks in advance, any other recommendations would be great, and i don't want to wait for newer items, and i am upgrading regardless of a big or small improvement.

Wait for Ivy Bridge, you won't notice much of a difference with a CPU upgrade now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Solidito View Post
    Thanks in advance, any other recommendations would be great, and i don't want to wait for newer items, and i am upgrading regardless of a big or small improvement.
    Sorry if it sounds rude, but it's what i said. I know i'm not going to get a big noticable improvement. I just want newer parts for Christmas, and i need to order them within this week. Cheers

10+ Year Old Account
    Such a waste of money. Your current system sounds solid.

Deleted
    I can't see why you would improve anything but the HDD there. running 2x GTX 570 would just be stupid with your setup, you should be able to do max settings already, if you want anything at all do upgrade to max RAM your MOBO can handle, that should really be it, and perhaps the MOBO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well in top games at the moment i notice lag, some i can't even play at max settings, BF3, Batman, Skyrim. I can't even have wow on max settings in 25 man raids.

To add to that my pc can be sluggish with every day tasks too, don't get me wrong i can still play all games on high settings, not max though. And to add to that it isn't really my money so oh well!

Regardless of upgrades or not i defo want sli 570, what would you personally buy if you had to?

Deleted
    well I can't see why you need to buy it right now really. I'd rather save the money and buy some of the new things which will be here in 2012 like the Ivy-brigde etc. that's my best advice, you could go get 570 sli but really.. I'd rather upgrade to a completely new CPU insted..

Deleted
    Well in top games at the moment i notice lag, some i can't even play at max settings, BF3, Batman, Skyrim. I can't even have wow on max settings in 25 man raids.
    There might just be something wrong other than low performance with your setup.
    And to go with the others, sure, cram another 570 in there, will not help you with WoW at least, and otherwise marginally at best.

10+ Year Old Account
    The thing is i'm at uni, this money i'm getting for christmas, is pretty much the only money i'm going to have, as i'm not working along side uni. So i'm noty going to have the money to buy brand new stuff, and i'm not spending all £600 on just a mobo and cpu :/

Deleted
    The thing is i'm at uni, this money i'm getting for christmas, is pretty much the only money i'm going to have, as i'm not working along side uni. So i'm noty going to have the money to buy brand new stuff, and i'm not spending all £600 on just a mobo and cpu :/
    Okay so the deal is you get money for xmas. And, if I may say that this frankly, want to throw it out right away on a GPU that will not get your performance up by as much as you think it will (your CPU will bottleneck the shit out if your SLI), and possibly open up the need for a new Mobo and PSU anyway.
    I would REALLY put that money under your mattress for a while, maybe until ivy bridge comes out. Your 570 will still be a good card then.
    And try to solve your lag problem otherwise for now, I suspect that there is some driver or OS issue.