Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Firewalls. Who needs em?

You have a coffee maker at your desk?

The Portal 2 stuff is awesome!

I got tired of dealing with my old left-handed that I've been using since high school... so I got myself a new one
    (I write left handed but use my mouse with my right hand... it was always a pain keeping the mousepad on the desk and not sliding off the side)

It's a little smaller than I had anticipated, but it works out fine

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    *I know that is overkill, but I had 6GB originally and wanted to upgrade to 8GB but couldn't find just a single stick.
    6GB is not overkill for anything. And seeing as you have a triple-channel chipset it makes sense having 3x 2GB sticks in it (one stick for each channel), 2x 4GB chips would've been sub-par and one 8GB stick would've been plain wrong.. err.. morally.

Deleted
    Look at that! The thread is now officially bugging out! We made it guys.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    I'm confused?

Anyway, have I just missed it or have we seen no SB-E system so far?

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    6GB is not overkill for anything. And seeing as you have a triple-channel chipset it makes sense having 3x 2GB sticks in it (one stick for each channel), 2x 4GB chips would've been sub-par and one 8GB stick would've been plain wrong.. err.. morally.
    Nah, I meant that 12GB is overkill, which is what I'm upgrading to. I know 6GB is enough, but I got a good deal on the memory (25% off for buying the other stuff from Newegg).

Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    I, too, am not experiencing this.

On the other hand, I run 40posts/page, so I might not run into this just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Anyway, have I just missed it or have we seen no SB-E system so far?
    Well, there's very little motivation for most people to look into buying one, I'd argue.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Well, there's very little motivation for most people to look into buying one, I'd argue.
    *Backs away, holding a sheet of paper looking like a planned upgrade-list, quite embarrassed*

"Most people" are the people with sane budgets. Do most of the frequenting members here really qualify?

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Maybe most of us are OCD and don't like the idea that SB-E chips are harvested silicon from 8core Xeons.

If I'm paying >$500 for a CPU, I'd expect 100% of the die space to be used. That's the reason (although silly) why I don't want a SB-E chip.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Deleted
    Well, it's extreme but not that extreme. You can pick up a decent motherboard and a 3930k for around $700-800. Sure, that is a lot of money, but considering that some enthusiasts pay over $1500 for GPUs alone I thought we would see a few by now. I guess most await Ivy Bridge and hope that the shrink will deliver a nice boost in both overclocking capability and performance (I'm in this boat myself). The i7 2600k is still a very powerful CPU and considering the price difference I can see why most choose to wait and see.

Hold on a second... the new AMD cards are going to actually make use of PCIe 3.0? This is a bit of a predicament. Gigabyte doesn't actually have that I believe.

So? They won't require it.
    PCI-E 3.0 8x = PCI-E 2.0 16x for all ends and purposes on the user-side.
    Generalising of course, but they are backward compatible.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Mr. Drunken, I highly doubt they will actually use PCIe 3.0 bandwidth. If they do, it probably won't be much more than a 2.1 x16 can do, so yeah.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

This is true. Guess I'll just sit on the fence and see what happens to it. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Excellent rig, but you realize that's a 200mhz overclock (5%) right?
    As Wries pointed out you have your numbers incorrect on the 2600K, it's about a 15% OC. I know it's conservative but it is my first OC. I may increase it later on but so far I have seen no need for it other then for bragging rights.

@noteworthy, look at the DELL Ultrasharp 23". It's on sale for $239.00. It's more $ then your average ACER but the big deal is it's an IPS panel, which has much better quality. I really want to get one but it's hard for me to justify the money just for better quality when I won't be getting an increase in size or resolution. If you need a new monitor it's what I would recommend getting though.
    Last edited by Organoth; 2011-12-16 at 12:16 AM.
    Cooler Master HAF X : Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz : Corsair A70 cooler : 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance LP : ASUS P8Z68 V-PRO/Gen3 : EVGA GTX GTX 670 FTW SIG2

Well, there's also the amazing stand you get with the Dell Ultrasharp monitors to consider. And yes, it is amazing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Am I the only one bothered by the "Dell" label on them? Gives me this cheap, office pc, ripoff alienware -ish feeling which I'm finding hard to shake. Don't get me wrong, fine screens but still.

To be perfectly honest, I don't notice it's presence...