Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Guilegamesh View Post
    A big reason GW2 doesn't need raids is that since there is no subscription, you will not feel like you need to play constantly or risk losing your money's worth. As far as I can tell there will be no daily dungeon rewards (at least not as important as WoWs) or the like that force you to play consistently, but there will be stuff to do in game if you choose to log in, like completing your story or saving those helpless pig people from the marauding wolf bandits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristan Khan View Post
    No, gw2 should not have raids. Why? Because it's just a number really. It says nothing about the amount of fun, or replayability of it all. This game isen't designed to force you into a gear grind at max lvl. It's designed for you to have awesome fun from the get go. No more, no less.
    more and more nonsense with some pretty twisted logic there
    1/there is no sub => there can't be no raids? why is that? one doesn't have anything to do with the other... at... all.
    2/raids = gear treadmill? same here. why couldn't there be non mandatory (story wise that is) raids which people could go to if they want to, even if it's just for prestige items or maybe just for the sake of challenge?

Quote Originally Posted by hellar View Post
    yea dont get me wrong i will do heroic dungeons on my downtime. But i know guild are going to be BIG, in size. And i was never a fan of leaving people out of stuff. I feel like 5 mans could divide guilds.
    Then I would recommend you head out into the world, as a group of 10/20/25/whatever you prefer and do some dynamic events. They scale depending on the participants, you know, so if you bring enough people... shit will get real.

You ask for more? Then come, traveler, to the Whispering Deep, where only the mad walk.
    Raid Idea: The Whispering Deep and Ny'alotha

Quote Originally Posted by Ihnasir View Post
    Umbra - you are a god.

No.

Raiding is fringe content that caters to only a few percent of the most-raid centric MMO. The solution isn't to dumb it down or to allow easy entry, it's to stop making so many raids. Let players be challenged but on their own terms in more manageable groups where the real challenge isn't scheduling or sheep herding

Quote Originally Posted by sacrypheyes View Post
    2/raids = gear treadmill? same here. why couldn't there be non mandatory (story wise that is) raids which people could go to if they want to, even if it's just for prestige items or maybe just for the sake of challenge?
    GW2 has that already they are called Elite dynamic events you do your first around lv 2 at the end of the tutorial.

Honestly I remember seeing that golem thing in the human starting zone rise from the earth with the mighty Logan Thackeray and memories of my first guild raid rushed threw me as the epicness of that fight happened. I can see raiders happy with this game :P

if your looking for classic raids like in WoW..... sry there are other games doing that though

btw if you think about it community wide dynamic Elite events that auto adjust on the fly seems like an evolution of the raiding system....at least imo :P
    Last edited by SPeedy26; 2011-12-23 at 06:46 AM.

Even if Guild Wars 2 would benefit from an addition of raiding, I'm against it. It's time for something new, and Guild Wars is just that. It's about time the MMO genre is redefined, and raids are not part of that definition.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SPeedy26 View Post
    GW2 has that already they are called Elite dynamic events you do your first around lv 2 at the end of the tutorial.

Honestly I remember seeing that golem thing in the human starting zone rise from the earth with the mighty Logan Thackeray and memories of my first guild raid rushed threw me as the epicness of that fight happened. I can see raiders happy with this game :P

if your looking for classic raids like in WoW..... sry there are other games doing that though
    A
    btw if you think about it community wide dynamic Elite events that auto adjust on the fly seems like an evolution of the raiding system....at least imo :P
    Actually... That's not an elite DE, the elite DEs require at least 10 people, the tutorial mode boss is totally soloable. To me that's pretty epic that Anet has epic looking DE that aren't even elite ones, I'm really curious how some elite DEs will work at their actual difficulty. Cause the only 2 we've seen (shatterer and tequatel) were tonnes down for the demos.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

I do think it needs something group orientated instead of having everything soloable.

with the event videos ive seen, the shatterer for example, the game doesnt need raiding. besides, everybody knows wow has the best raids and GW doesn't require a sub, so ill probably play both

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Waltzinblack View Post
    I do think it needs something group orientated instead of having everything soloable.
    http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/dungeons/

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    Actually... That's not an elite DE, the elite DEs require at least 10 people, the tutorial mode boss is totally soloable. To me that's pretty epic that Anet has epic looking DE that aren't even elite ones, I'm really curious how some elite DEs will work at their actual difficulty. Cause the only 2 we've seen (shatterer and tequatel) were tonnes down for the demos.
    well true... but it's built to feel like one to give you the taste of team work and what not. I reminds me of FFX when your first bossish guy is actually just a goon your able to fight later. :P did they say all elite require 10 ppl I was lead to believe it would shift depending on Elite events (like 5 at X, while 10 at Y) yeah but maybe I should have been more clearer sry :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellar View Post
    I know creating this thread, will most likely start some raging and yelling at each other but lets try to keep a civilized as possible.

So thats the question. Should GW2 have raids. 10-25 people

I personally am a pvp'er and will most likely only pvp. But talking to some of my old friends i use to play, ever-quest, wow , aion, and rift with brought up the point that GW2 is missing a huge audience by not adding in raiding.

He brought up some valid points. First. The raids in GW2 can be some the most dynamic raids ever made, with the ability to for everyone heal,buff, dodge, interrupt and damg. Some abilitys like the Guardians Sanctuary: (Form a protective shelter that keeps out foes and hostile projectiles.) Just adds endless possibles for raid mechanics, unlike any other.
    I personally dont think that putting raids in is all that much to ask (not that i am). They are merely just world bosses contained in a zone it spot.
    I think having raids would bring more people to the game as well, and hopefully give them a taste of what balanced pvp is like.
    Raids as instance based crap we have in WoW.... NOOOO!!!!!! Please nothing over 10 man haven't we had enough of Smack the Ankles of Boss 123322 until it dies.

Quote Originally Posted by Brofl View Post
    I'd rather GW2 put their attention into PvP, as they said, they want this game to eventually become an e-sport.
    Focus to much on PvP and the game will just fail. On average any game only has about 25% of its player based that are PvP focus. If you do not balance the End game mix for something other than PvP then people will lose interest pretty fast.
    Last edited by Auralian; 2011-12-23 at 07:01 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Guilegamesh View Post
    A big reason GW2 doesn't need raids is that since there is no subscription, you will not feel like you need to play constantly or risk losing your money's worth.
    You've helped me see things from a new perspective - thank you.

Let me explain...

I knew that GW2 wasn't subscription based...and I know about the grind-reward pattern...and I know that anet don't subscribe to it.

I can see that getting a monthly income creates a certain dynamic...some would say normalised maximised content (a little bit for everyone, a little bit more for those things that seem to be more popular, a little bit less for those things that fewer people do), some would say do as little as possible for the cash, some would say favour the majority, perhaps a few folk might point out that creators don't like having to churn things out either - these things are all irrelevant to my point.

So I suppose my point is - those pressures, these politics, will simply not exist. The exclamation will always be - "let us make a fuckin' cool game". Everything new will legitemitly be new...rather than a flogging of the old. Treat every release, every patch like a new game...rather than mechanisms to spin things out.

Was how you made me see things.

At the same time - I should say, I still pay my Rift and WoW subs...just because I might pop in every so often. I don't really feel I would lose anything...by not...just, y'know, the service is there should I wish to use it - I don't sit glued to the screen so as to get my moneys worth (do people do that?). Am thinking and will get 'round to cancelling Wow...Rift still interests - however, getting off topic.

Just thoughts

xx

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Yes, exactly like that... all professions are lies, in fact there is only one true profession and that is commando!

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Easily.

Everything.
    I like this response.

more and more nonsense with some pretty twisted logic there
    1/there is no sub => there can't be no raids? why is that? one doesn't have anything to do with the other... at... all.
    In relation to your second point, you will get a challenge when doing some versions of dungeons, when doing special elite events. These won't be like BC heroics, these will be like Yogg Saron without any keeper or 1-2 maybe only depending on dungeon, only with 5 players instead of 10/25. So you will get the challenge and you will get "prestige" items from them.

(...)

i'm aware there should be elite zones (thus elite DEs hopefully) thanks for taking me for some kind of tard here.

what i'm wishing for is sort of the evolution of instanced elite missions like those in GW1, cause yeah outdoor elite DEs can be great (i sure hope they are) but there are times you just want to play with a bunch of friends while being sure there won't be anyone to come and just ruin the mood by whatever mean they have, and elite missions were great for that in GW1, not to mention they were some of the most difficult content to clear. in the end, what i'd be expecting might be some sort of mix between exploration mode (for the challenge and difficulty + random DEs + instance) and elite DEs (scalability with the number of players).

and just in case some other dude would bring up the treadmill crap again, the said GW1 elite missions didn't have the best gear ever (not for all classes/builds that is) but people still did them for trophies (green weapon "collection", hero armor and the such).

Quote Originally Posted by skeebopshapow View Post
    besides, I think wow has the best raids and GW doesn't require a sub, so ill probably play both
    fixed. wow has raids, that's for sure, best would be pushing a bit far considering how boring/lame some are.

fixed. wow has raids, that's for sure, in my opinion best would be pushing a bit far considering how boring/lame some are.
    fixed. :cheeky:

:P

It's funny how the definition of a raid has changed. Now a raid means an instanced event with a fixed amount of people. But some might remember the awesome raids in Dark Age of Camelot where you could have over 100 players participating (not that they needed that many people).

A raid requires lots of people. If you can't make it, get more people.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    fixed. :cheeky:

:P
    /shoo

10chars.

10+ Year Old Account
    well true... but it's built to feel like one to give you the taste of team work and what not. I reminds me of FFX when your first bossish guy is actually just a goon your able to fight later. :P did they say all elite require 10 ppl I was lead to believe it would shift depending on Elite events (like 5 at X, while 10 at Y) yeah but maybe I should have been more clearer sry :P
    Oh totally, I love how the guys that aren't even "elite" are epic feeling! And so far all elite events require at least 10 people, however they may make some events that require like 5 or more, but they really dot need to due to dungeons!
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

i'm aware there should be elite zones (thus elite DEs hopefully) thanks for taking me for some kind of tard here.

what i'm wishing for is sort of the evolution of instanced elite missions like those in GW1, cause yeah outdoor elite DEs can be great (i sure hope they are) but there are times you just want to play with a bunch of friends while being sure there won't be anyone to come and just ruin the mood by whatever mean they have, and elite missions were great for that in GW1, not to mention they were some of the most difficult content to clear. in the end, what i'd be expecting might be some sort of mix between exploration mode (for the challenge and difficulty + random DEs + instance) and elite DEs (scalability with the number of players).

and just in case some other dude would bring up the treadmill crap again, the said GW1 elite missions didn't have the best gear ever (not for all classes/builds that is) but people still did them for trophies (green weapon "collection", hero armor and the such).
    The evolved elite mission are the explorable 5 man zones and I understand that you want their to be a big group dungeon so you don't have to leave anyone behind but that is the exact purpose of the DE's,I know you don't want other ppl to ruin your groups run (offtopic: I feel the same way of ppl ruining my Jedi knight's story in SWTOR) but that's why a player's lv is brought down, that's way there's not a "if suzy standsinfire dies all other players die with her mechanic",If you don't like the idea of other ppl you can imagine them as a bunch of random npc's like in the Razorscale encounter in wow or the npc's in one of GW's many Missions (such as D'Alessio Seaboard, or Fort Ranik). hell all that's missing is a way to add more then 5 ppl to your party in open world content so I don't have to spam guild chat with my random rantings while I'm murdering dragons with half the guild and random ppl from the friends list. ^^

P.S. how did what I said assume you for a tard? sry btw
    P.S.S I can see in a future expansion a 5 man dungeon that could max itself to 10 ppl but adds elite npcs or match makes another human group group to 5 man groups like in the Unwaking Waters mission
    P.S.S.S I have no idea what PS means :P (could someone enlighten a noob like me. ty ^^)
    Last edited by SPeedy26; 2011-12-24 at 12:08 AM.

p.s. stands for post-script.

also gw2 will be perfectly fine without raids. see, i'm on topic! pro.