Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Simple question, do you think Gurthalak is OP and...

...should/will it get nerfed?

Discuss.

Deleted
    The very fact this thread is created shows it will.

Why would it?
    The DW weapons are very strong, all of them. Ask any healer if they'd want their Maw nerfed or ask (FOTM alert) Enhancement Shaman about No'Kaled.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisKoe View Post
    Why would it?
    The DW weapons are very strong, all of them. Ask any healer if they'd want their Maw nerfed or ask (FOTM alert) Enhancement Shaman about No'Kaled.
    I agree.

The tentacle damage may be ridiculously high, but the proc chance is ridiculously low (2%). Sets it right in my opinion.

The fact that it's RNG based is why I think it won't get nerfed. The only reason they'd nerf the weapon is for PvP reasons. I don't PvP much but the rare occasion when I proc 1 or 2 tentacles when I'm 1v1 with a guy is pretty funny, they just toast him and there's really nothing they can do about it.

In the end I'm pretty happy about the deathwing weapons. Kind of Blizzard saying, we wish we could everyone legendaries, so we'll make them but give them purple pixels instead!

Last raid tier of the expansion, so it's less likely than other tiers. Stuff from the last raids tends to be deliberately "awesome."

our arms warrior gets between 7-10% of his damage from that tentacle, whereas our frost dk (was was duel wield 403 souldrinkers) was getting like 3-4%, and my no-kaled does like 1.8% of my damage. there's no way that's fair, but i'm not sure if it's an oversight or deliberate on blizzard's part.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah but each Souldrinker is healing the dk for...a ridiculous amount (I have a single LFR Souldrinker on my Dk, and it healed me for 1.1mil in LFR Madness (450 heals, 650 overheal), he's dual-wielding so he is getting more than just the dmg from the proc.

No'kaled is also awesome, make sure you're combining the dmg from all 3 procs though :P

Deleted
    OP? Well, no, slightly overtuned? Yep.

They should change the proc to a more reliable proc, with a 10-15% (these are just numbers) chance to proc, have a small ICD and do less damage.
    If they wanted it more balanced atleast.

I love Gurthalak, does 4-8% of my dmg every fight as an Arms warrior ^^^

Atm Gurthalak is nearly legendary quality, just saying.
    Last edited by mmocd37cb64f78; 2011-12-27 at 05:30 AM.

Perfectly balanced. DW weapons are really good, as they should be. The only weapon that's KINDA ridiculous is the caster dagger that spreads a disease that can out-aoe oranges.
    Troyzilla - Worthless DPS Warrior, AKA - That warrior who can play arms.
    ...................__
    ............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
    ........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
    ........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
    .........\.................'...../
    ..........''...\.......... _.·´
    ............\..............(

It's awesome and OP, specially on unholy DKs. And No, it won't be nerfed, once rogues start getting their legendaries into arenas and rbgs nobody will complain about this "OP" weapon.

Maybe the snare component of the tentacle's mind flay shouldn't exist.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eylieen View Post
    our arms warrior gets between 7-10% of his damage from that tentacle, whereas our frost dk (was was duel wield 403 souldrinkers) was getting like 3-4%, and my no-kaled does like 1.8% of my damage. there's no way that's fair, but i'm not sure if it's an oversight or deliberate on blizzard's part.
    From what I've seen combat rogues get around 3% from a single No'Kaled but even if it's a good weapon for rogues it's really designed for enhancement shamans who gain much greater benefit from it due to dual-wielding and their mastery.

Regarding Gurthalak I really think it's fine. It can look overpowered if you're lucky but on average it's not really a problem. If it does get nerfed it is very likely because of PvP because, frankly, the proc is a beast there.

I think it should drop for me. Thats what i think about that weapon

One could make an argument for nerfing the LFR version because it's so easy to get. Even a noob 15k dps can potentially get it and it will most likely improve his dps by 15-20%. The normal and the heroic version certainly should not be nerfed. I have one it almost never does more than 10%. The avg for me is about 7%. However, that's because i can do 40k on fights like ultraxion and therefore the tentacle dps doesn't contribute as much to my dps as it will on someone with lower dps.
    Also, remember the missing stats probably lowers your dps by maybe 3-4% or so?
    Yes, it's op for ppl who doesn't do raids normally, but not so much for raiders.

This weapon is awesome. last dw kill tentacle did 11.5% of my overall damage and was 1st ability on damage done. i ended fight with 56k dps. and managed to do 76k in LFR. Im raiding as arms. Also its so nice in pvp, when it pops and i dont have to use global on hamstring to slow enemy cause mind flay does that.
    Im not sure if it should be nerfed, for a proc it sounds very OP, but without secondary stats on weap and only deathwing drop it seems fine.

Well the proc is sort of op I'd guess - I don't think it should be nerfed anyways although I know it is likely going to happen.

Well as long as its not only warrior can use this weapon it shouldnt be nerfed.
    I believe if it was only warriors weapon we would see some nerfs already.

It better not get nerfed, it's just too much fun!

- Enter BG
    - Find group of enemies
    - Pop Sweeping Strikes + Bladestorm
    - RNG proc 3x tentacles
    - Dance on corpses
    - Repeat in 1 minute

Deleted
    I wouldn't say it's overpowered. It's very PvE-oriented, because it only has 15K health and is easily gibbed in PvP (+ has lower uptime due to melee not having 100% uptime).

What's boring about it is the RNG and class imbalance. Retribution Paladins have a proven higher proc-rate than others, and Blizzard seem to be ignoring this. I've seen myself go as low as 2% and as high as 11%, with Retribution Paladins as low as 7% and peaking at 20%.

the only thing that might get nerfed is Ret paladins proc chance from this weapon. thats about it.