Page 1 of 2
LastLast

De we know enough about the Professions to determine...

... the playstyle and feel of each profession?

Basically I am trying to figure out what I should have for a main/central character in GW2 and I am wondering if we know enough from the convention footage + GW1 professions to make a clever guess as to the playstyle and feel of each profession.

Is this possible?

I am subscribed to Alexridiculous' channel on YT so I checked his videos out. But I suppose I am looking for something more concrete?

(Basicallty I hate:

a) Casting

b) Pet management

c) Sneaky archetypes

I enjoy:

a) being a juggernaught

b) mobility

c) magic/flashy spells

I guess I have a vague idea in mind (Warrior, Guardian) but I lack the info on how the weapon cobos work, as well as how Rangers, Mesmers and Elemntalists work.

In WoW I play a Feral druid; a warrior in RIFT (love how magically inclined RIFT's warriors are); a Herald of Xotli in AoC and in DotA my favourite hero is Phoenix. If that is of any help lol.)

Your comments would be appreciated!
    Last edited by eucatastrophe; 2011-12-27 at 12:15 PM.
    Elementium on Knaak:
    Quote Originally Posted by Elementium View Post
    He's the Micheal bay of books. He sunk his claws into a popular franchise and is pumping out books with very little plot and a whole lot of descriptions of Rhonins hair and awesomeness and because anyone who wants to know the once rich warcraft lore will buy it the same as a Transformers movie because it's something they love and they keep hoping.
    ~The naaru have not forgotten us... BUT CHRIST METZEN HAS!~

10+ Year Old Account
    If you scroll to the bottom of the skills page on the wiki, it has links to each profession and their skill lists.
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Skill

But magical type warrior does sound like a Guardian.

Deleted
    I guess you'll like Guardian judging on your ''I enjoy'' part

Quote Originally Posted by eucatastrophe View Post

I enjoy:

a) being a juggernaught

b) mobility

c) magic/flashy spells

Your comments would be appreciated!
    I would say warrior if not for c, maybe a Mesmer...no a gets in the way of that :/
    guess your stuck with a guardian :P

A guardian or a warrior would be what I suggest. They're the only classes that don't cast and aren't 'sneaky' - one more being the ranger, but they're far from a juggernaut.

it sounds like guardian is what you want to me.
    i m not too sure about the mobility part though.

does anyone know which class is the most mobile? the ability to move/charge/leap/teleport in combat from one place to another with less restrictions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Questar View Post
    does anyone know which class is the most mobile? the ability to move/charge/leap/teleport in combat from one place to another with less restrictions.
    Shortbow Thief.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Shortbow Thief.
    thanks mif!
    do you also know which profession has the ability to move forward/backward in great distances the most times?

10+ Year Old Account
    thanks mif!
    do you also know which profession has the ability to move forward/backward in great distances the most times?
    Not quite sure.

thanks mif!
    Mesmer greatsword portals!
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by eucatastrophe View Post
    Basicallty I hate: a) Casting
    I enjoy: c) magic/flashy spells
    Not sure if serious. How can you hate casting but love spells? You realize the contradiction here right? Anyway, considering your list of dislikes your choices are guardian and warrior. Every other class (ranger, mes, ele, necro, thief, engineer) casts is sneaky or is not a juggernaut.

thanks mif!
    Rifle engineer with rocket boots.
    Here's an example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3nDN...=results_video
    Quote Originally Posted by Gagdush
    I would drag my dick through a mile of lava just to listen to someone that's installing the beta on Skype.

10+ Year Old Account
    Really interesting idea for a post I'm a bit conflicted too about class/weapon combo. I have done some research into it but still cannot decide.

I like
    A class that can be in the front line tankie sort of role.
    Being able to have decent and diverse support abilities.
    Strategic play.
    Using a shield.

I Dislike
    Being a caster or ranged at all.
    I don't like to be overly flashy

Quote Originally Posted by Lannden View Post
    Really interesting idea for a post I'm a bit conflicted too about class/weapon combo. I have done some research into it but still cannot decide.

I like
    A class that can be in the front line tankie sort of role.
    Being able to have decent and diverse support abilities.
    Strategic play.
    Using a shield.

I Dislike
    Being a caster or ranged at all.
    I don't like to be overly flashy
    I'd say your choice is pretty easy with those preferences, Warrior.

thanks for the replies.
    hmm it seems like all professions have at least one skill that lets the player move forward/retreat rapidly. i wanna find the one with the most skills like this and the least recharge.

The profession with the most mobility would be the Thief.

At least based on the information we know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I'd say your choice is pretty easy with those preferences, Warrior.
    That and guardian are what I keep jumping between.

Its entirely understandable. Magical classes build around short or instant spells, going for a fast paced magical seems a fun thing to do. You get the mobility and fun of a instant class liek warrior, but you also enjoy the quirks and effects of a magican class.

Keep in mind that casters in this game are going to be very different from casters in WoW, if only for the fact that you are much more mobile. Also keep in mind that "sneaky" archetypes are also going to be different in that their stealthy powers are temporary and you will not spend large periods of time hanging out waiting to get the drop on someone.

That said, Guardian seems to fit your likes category most accurately, but Warrior is a close second.

thanks mif!
    I know that the ranger with a longbow will do more damage the further back they are and have an upclose ability that launches your enemy further back the closer you are so you would have to move around a lot and I would assume you might want to rush your enemy and launch them back if they get too close.

Also at OP I think the guardian sounds perfect for you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgdBq...layer_embedded
    Last edited by worprz; 2011-12-27 at 07:09 PM.