Page 7 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Another noob question, if I buy the 1000$ build is that everything I'll need other than monitor/mouse/keyboard/speakers or will I need to buy extra wires or anything?

10+ Year Old Account
    No extra wires needed, just a screwdriver.
    And maybe some cable ties if you're fussy about getting your cables looking nice and clean :P
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

I'm also getting a nice gaming headset for the 1000$ build, will the full 7.1 surround with the logitech G35 work with a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131781 or will I need to buy some separate component for it to work properly? My friend told me most motherboards don't support surround sound and that I'll need to buy a separate appliance for the sound to work properly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your newegg link is broken. Anyway, G35 connects via USB and uses its own sound-chip to deliver the 7.1 surround, it doesn't really matter if your motherboard supported it or not.
    And most current motherboards DO support 7.1 surround so your friend is wrong.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by invoke View Post
    My friend told me most motherboards don't support surround sound and that I'll need to buy a separate appliance for the sound to work properly.
    Sounds like he lives still in the age of 2005 or something. Motherboards nowadays almost all support 7.1 surround.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Should add cpu/heatsink fans on the list too..would help alot

Aftermarket CPU fans are recommended on the builds for which they are considered necessary (starting with the Gaming and Workstation 1000 builds).
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2011-12-14 at 07:47 PM.

ah..ok..thanks

Hi, thanks Marest and everyone for these threads, I am looking at putting together my first build and they're incredibly helpful.

I'm just getting my head around different parts and specs through this forum but I was wondering what exactly was meant by "has a fairly nice upgrade path" on the 650...ok, I know what it means but I guess I was hoping someone might have the time to explain to me why that build in particular has an upgrade path worth mentioning...and maybe in general what to keep in mind right now in terms of upgrade path when considering a build.

I'm also moving away from Apple (finally) after burning out two Macbook Pros so I guess this noobish question comes from someone who's really not used to easily upgrading parts let alone a build from scratch. I'm looking at the builds between the 550 and maybe the 1000 but likely capping out at the 850...so I'm wondering whether to go lower and upgrade gradually or if that's a pita just stepping up from the start.

Again thanks a million for all the helpful info on this forum.

PS All I play is WoW for now but I'm sure I'll want to explore more "demanding" at some point. But if so would be casually eg don't need maxed out everything.

PPS First post can't post links so no quote on the 650

Deleted
    The 650 build has a nice upgrade path because it includes the i5 2500k, which is a very powerful CPU (it's present in most builds up to and including Gaming 1500). The potential upgrades can be anything from a stronger GPU to more RAM, but what I mean with "has a fairly nice upgrade path" is that the i5 2500k is an incredibly powerful base for a gaming build for $650 that will last for a good while. That said, the motherboard isn't the best but definitely capable. It doesn't have the overclocking capabilities and featureset of the more expensive P67 and Z68 boards, but for a $650 budget it is most definitely a good pick. Add on a CPU cooler and you can most likely push the CPU to 4.5Ghz and beyond.

Also to mention, if you play WoW only there is little gain in going for a more expensive setup (or rather, a more expensive GPU). You are better off trying to get a SSD for faster loading times. As you can see I put the "recommended if you only play World of Warcraft" as a comment on the 550 build, but the 650 will fair better in hectic environments (25-man raids).

I'd suggest that you create your own thread with the 650 as a base and I'm sure experienced users here will help you get the perfect parts for your needs.

Thanks a lot for the reply Marest. Happy Holidays!

Deleted
    Hey, thanks everyone for this awesome thread.

I just got a quick question:

In Gaming 1500 build can I take EVGA GTX 570 instead of ASUS GTX 580 one and if yes, will the PSU that's in the build will be enough or I would need to get a different one.

P.S Why's the cost range between GTX 570's and 580's so big but benchmarks are not that big? (or not that big only for me ?)

Thanks in advance

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaxl View Post
    Hey, thanks everyone for this awesome thread.

I just got a quick question:

In Gaming 1500 build can I take EVGA GTX 570 instead of ASUS GTX 580 one and if yes, will the PSU that's in the build will be enough or I would need to get a different one.

P.S Why's the cost range between GTX 570's and 580's so big but benchmarks are not that big? (or not that big only for me ?)

Thanks in advance
    Yes, of course you can downgrade the GPU and be fine. The rig will still run amazingly well.

You're seeing a huge price jump because the 580 is the best single chip GPU on the market, and they can charge whatever they please for it.

Deleted
    Thanks for the info.

One more thing, in cant seem to find the Seasonic X Series 650W PSU anywhere where i live ( sux ). The closest one I've found is Seasonic X-660 660W 80 Plus Gold retail (X-660), it seems to have more power but I'm really a noob in these kinda things.

Thanks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by uggorthaholy View Post
    You're seeing a huge price jump because the 580 is the best single chip GPU on the market, and they can charge whatever they please for it.
    With the release of the 7970 this is no longer true. The more powerful cards are always more expensive though. It's just the way the market works.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaxl View Post
    One more thing, in cant seem to find the Seasonic X Series 650W PSU anywhere where i live ( sux ). The closest one I've found is Seasonic X-660 660W 80 Plus Gold retail (X-660), it seems to have more power but I'm really a noob in these kinda things.
    That should be fine. You can always get a cheaper option of course, like a non-modular 80+ bronze PSU.

Deleted
    Nice suggestion, however with the extreme enthusiast ones, I think it's still better to go for the Sandy Bridge 2500k or 2600k. The new socket 1156 i5's and i7's might be slightly more powerful but they need and older type of motherboard and when Ivy bridge comes out, you'd have to replace that along with the CPU. Besides, if you really need that much CPU power, you could just buy water cooling and really overclock the i7 2600k.

10+ Year Old Account
    1156 is an old socket, first of all, and houses the older i5-xxx series and I think a few very old i7s, there is no reason to buy into 1156 now. Most i7s are either on 1366 or 2011 with a very few I know on 1155.... Ivy Bridge will also be on 1155, with Ivy Bridge E being the continuation of 2011.
    "A flower.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    Nice suggestion, however with the extreme enthusiast ones, I think it's still better to go for the Sandy Bridge 2500k or 2600k. The new socket 1156 i5's and i7's might be slightly more powerful but they need and older type of motherboard and when Ivy bridge comes out, you'd have to replace that along with the CPU. Besides, if you really need that much CPU power, you could just buy water cooling and really overclock the i7 2600k.
    The SB-E CPUs got released on their own socket; LGA 2011, which makes those motherboards newer than any 1155 socket motherboard. If we are to trust rumors, the current x79 2011 socket motherboards will support Ivy Bridge E, while the known 1155 will support Ivy Bridge (which has been confirmed afaik). If you have a reason to go for an Extreme CPU (for work or whatever) there is little reason not to, unless you are short on cash (in which case the 2600k is an extremely good alternative). The upgrade-path from Sandy Bridge E would then be Ivy Bridge E.

TL;DR: The new SB-E processors are not bound to a dead socket but rather a brand new one.

Deleted
    Complete build and price update.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Complete build and price update.
    Wooo! Good job! :P
    "A flower.