Page 1 of 2
LastLast

The Honeymoon phase

Anyone esle ever get fooled into buying a new game because of The Honeymoon phase. I am not just talking MMO's but any game. The Honeymoon phase of players gushing over a new game even though..its not that great. Then get bummed a month later when it is sitting on your shelf forever.

I find the worst are New MMO's, ive made it a rule to wait minimum 2 months before even considering buying. End game is usually the fail point for MMO's. Single player games can rely more on reviews I guess.

I went to brand-spanking-new AoC because a good portion of my guildies did the same around the end of TBC, and they were gushing over it. They and I quickly grew tired of it after leaving the starting zone.

Beginning of Cata, new guild, new guildies. They became infatuated with Rift. I had learned my lesson, and declined. Someone in my current guild has been raving about SWTOR day and night. Again, no thank you.

This is related to WoW Gen Discussion how?
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Yeah, Civilization 5 was infamous for this. The first week was full of glowing press... and then the smarter players started pointing out all the game-breaking flaws. By the time a month had passed, the fan base was divided into those that thought it was terrible and those who insisted it was still quite good. A year later, even it's fans admit it is a flawed game.

I was a fool and bought it on release. Really wish I hadn't, because between the idiotic passive-aggressive AI and the boring gameplay, I stopped bothering with it entirely after two months and went back to Civ 4, a game which was legitimately good.

Even worse is getting roped into pre-ordering something.... I still twitch when I think about scraping together the money for the Dreamcast, a system I certainly thought was going to be the second coming of christ in pixel form.

*fume*

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    This is related to WoW Gen Discussion how?
    Who are you? The topic Sherrif?

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Even worse is getting roped into pre-ordering something.... I still twitch when I think about scraping together the money for the Dreamcast, a system I certainly thought was going to be the second coming of christ in pixel form.

*fume*
    It still is. The dreamcast is fucking awesome.

Ill buy it from you.

Oi, yea I fell victim to this with Aion. I played the SW:TOR beta and really enjoyed it, but I'm sure as hell not dropping 60 bucks on a sub-based MMO again until I know its going to be around (and enjoyable) for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post

*fume*
    Aww, I loved my Dreamcast... RE:Code Veronica, Dead or Alive 2, NFL 2k1. Not to mention the emu scene that really took off after it was discontinued. I got my money's worth out of it and then some.

clayfighter 63 1/3 for the nintendo 64. I rented it, played it with my brother, laughed about all the funny moves, got it for christmas, got bored of the game still on christmas eve. ( i think they even had a character they only put on the rental, and not the home versions of the game)

That game killed christmas

MMOs in general I wait, every mmo I have bought since wow has had gamebreaking controls so I cant even play the games past level 10 usually (sadly, after playing a friends Swtor account I ran into a similar issue, hopefully it will be fixed <.< ).

Regular PC games I will buy right away, but I stick with companies like Blizzard and Valve that tend to make really good games by thier release dates (mostly because they delay them freaquently). Any other company I usually get heresay from other gamers before I buy the games.

Quote Originally Posted by Drilnos View Post
    I went to brand-spanking-new AoC because a good portion of my guildies did the same around the end of TBC, and they were gushing over it. They and I quickly grew tired of it after leaving the starting zone.
    Oh AoC, the starting zone was really well done so I can see why they'd gush over it, after that.. yeah.

Only game ive ever done this with was Rift.
    I'm still playing that and in my opinion its the best mmo out right now. I was excited for swotor and i got into the beta and i have to say i was kind of disappointed
    Quote Originally Posted by Editos View Post
    you can't debate with a game that sends you dragons via mail

I experienced this "Honeymoon phase" with Cataclysm and Skyrim.

Not really. It's in my interest to try as wide a variety of games as possible. I enjoy trying everything I can fit time for. I wouldn't be doing myself any favor by sticking to one genre or game for too long.

Dilettantism is immensely important to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dreamcast and Phantasy Star Online. Nuff said.

Problem with most new games is that they are always compared to other existing games.

Now if you really found WoW interesting the first few weeks you played the game, you'll try to compare that experience with any new game, and if it doesn't cut it, you're more likely to revert back to whatever you were playing previously.

Wow offered me something more unique than my Everquest experience, mostly because of the simplistic graphics and easy to understand gameplay, which in the end has had me playing the game for nearly 6 years now.

Untill something else presents it to my liking it's unlikely that I will be playing another game, if any at all before I choose to stop my gaming career.
    Last edited by Sharpton; 2012-01-06 at 08:09 PM.

Deleted
    It's probably not ok to say on the forums but "I'll try new games out" before buying them:P With MMO's I'm super picky and the new ones didn't even interest me when they came out. Only tried Rift in beta because my BF kept pushing.

This is why Steam sales are awesome. Buy "great" game for £5. Its great? Awesome! It sucks? Meh, it was only £5

10+ Year Old Account
    Have to say Brink, was a fun game, but community and support wasn't there to keep it going.

Oblivion. I was coming buckets all over it before it's release and bought the collector's edition on day one. Then slowly over period of one week my will to play it grew less and less, starting from few hours a day of gaming to a feeling forced to play it at the end of the week because it was supposed to be so great.

After that I've only installed it twice (mostly to install mods because that's the only fun part of the game) but never managed to play more than couple hours before wanting to uninstall it again as all the reasons why it sucked struck on.

Took me years to actually figure out everything that made the game suck so hard and put it into coherent words and text. The experience was one of a kind and it ruined all the faith I had left in the industry.
    Last edited by Wilian; 2012-01-07 at 03:38 AM.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988