Thread: The forum...

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

The forum...

I've been coming to this forum for about 6 months, but didn't start posting until fairly recently because I didn't think my knowledge of GW2 was good enough.
    I always loved reading the posts from rational, funny and well informed people who weren't either leetist jerks or fanboys. I've visited quite a few GW2 communities and always thought this one was the best.

But the number of posts appearing recently from people blatantly just trolling/bashing/stubbornly ignorant are almost ruining any attempt at real discussion and it's so sad that many threads are ending in just bitching matches and getting closed.

Please, those of you who are just coming here, don't come in all guns blazing without either checking the stickied "info for the uninformed" thread (it's awesome)...or just asking a question about anything u want to know
    This is a great community...and always open to answering questions U won't get flamed

And longer term members...let's just try to ignore ridiculous posts or link them the above thread Hopefully they'll get bored and go somewhere else Otherwise, this great forum might degenerate into what we sadly see in other places.

Toodles
    Your resident bane of squirrels

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't worry, the mods here are pretty brutal, if anyone's trolling they will get a vacation very quickly.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've tried in my posts, and through multiple official channels to do what I can to help our little community but nothing has seen results.
    To be honest I've given up hope of this subforum not turning into a shithole where trolls are given free reign.

Deleted
    Yeah, mods are quick on closing threads indeed, but I've got to agree with Squirrel, it's boring when trollers destroy the threads... Let's hope this helps the new posters to get into our lovely community, but I don't think this or anything will remove the trollers from the forums... It's a sad world.

---------- Post added 2012-01-14 at 11:57 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    I've tried in my posts, and through multiple official channels to do what I can to help our little community but nothing has seen results.
    To be honest I've given up hope of this subforum not turning into a shithole where trolls are given free reign.
    Mif, you're really one of the amazing people we got here on our forums I'm so glad you're here and everyone else who tries to do good and not troll
    So, any news about your cookies? ^^,

I think guys like you have done a gread job here. You provide backed up information so we can rely on your statements. Thats great.

I am a guy from Austria and German is my mothertongue, so I tried to get a home on german-spoken Fansites, but it's a shame: people there are mostly hardcore gw1 fans who don't want GW2 rather than GW1.2. They are much too critical and whine about things you wouldn't think possible. The activity has pretty much gone down to a handful posts a day by the same people and it's frustrating. So I found a home here and on guru and love each discussion about any news with open minded people like you.

Keep it going guys

Yh bud...u, and many others, are stand-out brilliant in trying to help others and ur ability to snatch info from the deepest nether-regions of ur asura brain The state of things is a bit sad...and I've seen ur gradual frustration build in recent months

Maybe it's inevitable as the game gets more recognition that it attracts more ppl of a well...less than savoury nature...
    I guess we can only hope to carry on trying to educate and entertain Hopefully we'll convert some and the rest will get bored

10+ Year Old Account
    I expect it sooner or later, but also hoping the mods stay on top of Trolls/Losers/Bashers/Etc.

For now I'm still optimistic about GW2 and it's community (albeit small, but awesome).

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like most people on the GW2 sub-forum and I think the mods do a fair job. I hate having to come to a wow fansite for my gw2 community though. I wish gw2 had it's own official forum.

Please don't mention guru, I refuse to use that forum.

the things will get worse once the game goes live..I am telling this from my experience of Star Wars forums here...the game will be bashed/flamed to the ground for specific reasons but mostly because it will not be wow..I am telling you now and quote it for truth, you will have at least one post per day for "LFD, Damage meters, DBM,..." its like a plague moving to any new game appears..sometimes long before its release but after release it gets huge hit of the plague
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Deleted
    I have faith in the mods, especially EdgecrusherO0. Though I'm afraid that 2 mods won't be enough in the future, when the game will come in the spotlight with beta dates and all the information being released. What we see now is just the beginning and that makes me sad.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vewen View Post
    I have faith in the mods, especially EdgecrusherO0. Though I'm afraid that 2 mods won't be enough in the future, when the game will come in the spotlight with beta dates and all the information being released. What we see now is just the beginning and that makes me sad.
    Some of us with spare time could app to be mods. I spend all damn day on the forums, I might apply.

I don't really have many problems with people who come into this forum. The only thing that bothers me sometimes is when people stumble in from the front page, post one thing that has no relevance to the topic at hand, but they feel the need to comment on how they dislike the game and that they won't buy it. And then they never come back. That's all they say. :P

It's not nearly as bad as some of the other sub-forums on this site though, so I'd say that we have it pretty lucky all things aside.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vewen View Post
    I have faith in the mods, especially EdgecrusherO0.
    Edge does a find job. It's MMO-Champions rules that let us down.

Basically if a troll says "GW2 is poo" they can be infracted, but if they say "GW2 is poorly designed, dynamic events won't work, the lore is laughable, and the graphics suck" then the mods can't touch them. If you're intelligent enough to troll at a level higher than a 4 year old, you're safe.

MMO-Champion has to decide if it wants to properly support non-wow sub-forums or not. Yes it traditionally has been a Wow fansite, but I think the powers that be saw the writing on the wall when they implemented game specific sub-forums. Unfortunately out of some strange loyalty to Blizzard (polite way of saying fanboy, oops I did) they won't go the distance and give the sub-forum communities what they need to flourish.

Deleted
    Edge does a find job. It's MMO-Champions rules that let us down.

Basically if a troll says "GW2 is poo" they can be infracted, but if they say "GW2 is poorly designed, dynamic events won't work, the lore is laughable, and the graphics suck" then the mods can't touch them. If you're intelligent enough to troll at a level higher than a 4 year old, you're safe.

MMO-Champion has to decide if it wants to properly support non-wow sub-forums or not. Yes it traditionally has been a Wow fansite, but I think the powers that be saw the writing on the wall when they implemented game specific sub-forums. Unfortunately out of some strange loyalty to Blizzard (polite way of saying fanboy, oops I did) they won't go the distance and give the sub-forum communities what they need to flourish.
    Of course, just wanted to give Edge some support for all the cleaning up!
    Yeh, we need more built out forums. Now the need is not that big, but it will in the future I think. Though, GWG is also part of the curse network so it might be that that's the problem. We would be building something here while they have a seperate site.

I do believe the rules need to become more strict for the subforums. Like you said, they can just keep posting here and annoy everyone with lies and crap-based facts, but if they do so in a semi-intelligent way, nothing can be done. While I can understand someone doesn't agree, it suffices to make one post about it in a forum dedicated to such a game, and any following logical discussion without either party bashing. If they keep on posting with the only intention to annoy the hell out of everyone, that deserves a forum holiday imo.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhiteWolf View Post
    Some of us with spare time could app to be mods. I spend all damn day on the forums, I might apply.
    Okay, wishing you Good luck then!
    Last edited by mmoccf2a3d971d; 2012-01-14 at 03:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    a lot of the good discussions seemed to have died down after the first month of the sub forums opening, hence my diminished presence

then again things i like to talk about are more about gameplay, specifically builds and strategies so maybe thats why i havent really been compelled to post lately

at least with those discussions the people who will be trolling you will actually know something of the game (well, chances are higher)
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

He often tackles these when/where he can though, such as with little posts like..."upon what do you base this?" Simlair to what you've recently done in that If GW2 isn't good thread - just less detail I guess, as you say, most of the time his hands are tied.
    Overall I think he does a really good job.

The never-ending battle between what's better...

In all honesty I have taught myself to ignore every single bit of it. I simply think to myself: "While those morons contemplate on how to bash and flame at how bad either of them are, I will just play both and enjoy them equally "

You just need to learn to refrain from even bothering to be annoyed.

A lot of people think, "I think the game looks bad" or "This game looks like every other game" is trolling. It's not necessarily trolling. People are allowed to come in here and express their opinions, whatever they may be. If someone wants to come in here and express their dislike for the game, they're free to do that. This isn't a fanboy forum. I love the hell outta this game, but I understand that there are others that don't for whatever reason they have (be it legitimate or ignorant). I'm not going to turn this forum into a GW2 circlejerk, where the only posts allowed are "I LOVE GW2!!!!!".

That being said...it has been getting a bit worse recently as (I think) the forum gets more activity, so keep reporting anything you see and we'll deal with it as we can.

In many discussions I've seen regardin GW2 (especially concerning things like endgame) the people who propose an opposing view are called trolls while people who reply with "Lol go back to the cesspool that is WoW" get people agreeing with them. More moderation won't matter if there isn't even common sense to begin with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    the things will get worse once the game goes live..I am telling this from my experience of Star Wars forums here...the game will be bashed/flamed to the ground for specific reasons but mostly because it will not be wow..I am telling you now and quote it for truth, you will have at least one post per day for "LFD, Damage meters, DBM,..." its like a plague moving to any new game appears..sometimes long before its release but after release it gets huge hit of the plague
    people could complain and demand those things, but the fact is most other MMOs up until the launch of GW2 have used a similar design philosophy and combat/system mechanics to WoW. those additions are required due to the shortcomings of that systems so asking for them in a game where those shortcomings are either dramatically reduced or eliminated altogether, would leave people that want them hard pressed to justify the need for them in GW2.

i don't see why people are so afraid to have actual discussions about competing games, it's sad really because we all lose out and won't get to see how something we don't quite understand can be good/bad. the only issue with attempting these discussions is that people don't know how to stick to the facts and instead resort to Strawmans like it's their job which leads to things spiraling out of control. in the big ass The One GW2 Thread we used to have discussions like that all the time. i do not mind if someone calls GW2 poo or w/e as long as they frame it well for the rest of us so we can see where they are coming from. GW2 has to be good enough to stand up on it's own as much as we may want to defend it at every turn. my tolerance for willful ignorance though has shot down a lot though, so i tend to be more short with people. i know that for many people perception is truth, but if you willfully ignore facts just so you can make an unrealistic point then...yeah.

i think though that once the game launches it won't really matter how degenerated the forums get because we will all be heavily engrossed in GW2 if ANet did their job right. and the forums lead to spoilers and checking wikis and whatnot, which i am trying to avoid. i actually want to feel like a noob in again and not have everything from combat to "end-game" be a foregone conclusion.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist