Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Angry GW2 is NOT Free-to-Play

...it's B2P

1.) you buy the box
    2.) you play it

Do you pay a monthly fee for Modern Warfare? No? It's the same here. Is MW free to play??

there is a shop, but it's in other games too (WoW, I look at you)
    -) you can't buy better gear
    -) you can't buy stuff that makes you stronger
    -) you can buy new slots / bankspace etc.
    -) you can buy costumes

do you get it now?

sorry, it's really frustrating, all these threads about subscription fees and the posts make me want to BREAK SOMETHING!!! Please close this thread. I hate myself for writing this again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again

some guys simply won't get it... ever
    I'm tempted to call out names, people who don't get it... the list would be full of ignorant people.

Deleted
    So it's free to play?

I always found it rather bemusing that people don't like the idea behind GW2.
    It is simply that you pay for the content the developers make, not for the right to play.
    What is the outcome of that system ? Tadaaa !!! Developers actually care about the content they make !

BUT IT DOESN'T HAZ MONTHLY FEE ! WE ARE DOOMED !
    80 Orc Hunter
    80 Tauren druid
    80 Tauren Warrior
    80 Orc Warlock
    80 Blood elf Death knight
    To Be continued...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
    I always found it rather bemusing that people don't like the idea behind GW2.
    It is simply that you pay for the content the developers make, not for the right to play.
    What is the outcome of that system ? Tadaaa !!! Developers actually care about the content they make !

BUT IT DOESN'T HAZ MONTHLY FEE ! WE ARE DOOMED !
    Sorry but your an Idiot I could almost guarantee they would put a Pay monthly in if WOW wasn't such a titan of the genre.

Please don't insult other posters. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-01-17 at 07:46 PM.

you seem to upset with the semantics of free to play, in comparison to a subscription game like wow, GW2 is free to play. You have to purchase both games but one you have to keep paying for and the other is free to play once you have purchased it. I have to assume the people you are calling ignorant understand that you pay for the game and by saying free to play they mean no subscription. Just read their comments as such and take a chill pill, you are a little high strung.

Deleted
    As annoying as it is when people say that GW2 is F2P, I think most just mean to say that it has no subscription fee. It's like when you are talking to someone and they constantly mispronounce a certain word, it's f*cking annoying, but you still know what they are trying say.
    Last edited by mmoc77cd96e260; 2012-01-17 at 07:41 PM.

The question is, why do you care? Its not important in the scheme of things. At all. Or did you just want to make another thread about GW2
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldrad View Post
    You know, at some point, Hitler was "just a beta" and people didn't stop him... then he went live.
    Just saying.
    MMO Champ forums - where Cata is comparable to Hitler.

Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    sorry, it's really frustrating, all these threads about subscription fees and the posts make me want to BREAK SOMETHING!!! Please close this thread. I hate myself for writing this again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again

some guys simply won't get it... ever
    I'm tempted to call out names, people who don't get it... the list would be full of ignorant people.
    Now that you've got it out, chill =)
    Every single question and topic has such a bunch of idiots.
    Just look at the retardgarden of "So when WOW/SWTOR goes F2P?" threads.

Quote Originally Posted by dkdk View Post
    you seem to upset with the semantics of free to play, in comparison to a subscription game like wow, GW2 is free to play. You have to purchase both games but one you have to keep paying for and the other is free to play once you have purchased it. I have to assume the people you are calling ignorant understand that you pay for the game and by saying free to play they mean no subscription. Just read their comments as such and take a chill pill, you are a little high strung.
    it's not about semantics, its about statements like this:
    To enjoy GW2 the way it was ment to be you'll be looking at an amount of money of 12$ a month on extra things. It's the way expensive F2P games work.
    calling them ignorant, because there are hundrets of posts from GW2-Fans explaining that there will only be cosmetics in the shop... and still... people keep posting this dumb stuff

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    so by this logic then, those people who bought the 1 year pass from blizzard also didnt get a free copy of diablo 3?

Deleted
    MMO-players are probably the only people who actively claim that paying for something is much better than getting it for free.

I guess they just want to justify the fact they pay a monthly fee, and so any game with no such fee is obviously inferior from the get go.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dokilar View Post
    so by this logic then, those people who bought the 1 year pass from blizzard also didnt get a free copy of diablo 3?
    Well, seeing as you are forced into paying for an entire year without a chance to cancel your sub, id say you did indirectly buy Diablo 3, the closed beta pass I would consider free though, since its rather rare for people to get blizzard passes for such things.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Quote Originally Posted by Joenano View Post
    Sorry but your an Idiot
    Oh the irony.

People that play mmos generally need the feeling that they are paying monthly for the game to justify why they play that one game exclusively(ever heard the example well WoW is cheaper for a year than buying console games for a year derrrp). Therefore, giving that sense of fanboyism that most players have because it makes them feel like they are actually part of something. Most likely filling a void in their real lives. And dont listen to the trolls because when they make ignorant responses like what you mentioned its probably because they are trying really hard to cover up what i explained.
    Last edited by kimboslice; 2012-01-17 at 07:55 PM.

They said the game will be free TO PLAY. To make an analogy here. Hope some of you know what it is. If a government makes a knew highway and they tell you it's free to use it and you don't have to pay any fees etc do you expect them to give you a car also. They said the highway is usable for free how you decided to use it is up to you. Same here, the game is free to play but just like the highway you need the game to be able to play. Hope this cleared your confusion.
    "Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing." Muhammad Ali

I guess I just assume OP is referring to people that say F2P and then lump it in with cash shop and Pay-to-Win without doing any research on the game itself. Those same people might be surprised to find out that the cash shop is supposed to be similar to WoW in that the only things available will be convenience and vanity items and nothing that will give you an advantage over other players in PvE or PvP.

It's one thing to call GW2 F2P and another entirely to lump it in with games where F2P = P2W, which, from what I have read thus far, is absolutely not the case with GW2.

Quote Originally Posted by Smolderhorn View Post
    So it's free to play?
    If you have to purchase something in order to play it it is B2P.

F2P is something like runescape, where you don't have to buy anything.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    *snip*

Why do you open threads asking for them to be closed?

You really need to calm yourself down a bit, mate.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    In most cases though, it's been proven true, at least from a sub-numbers perspective. Of course, it's more to do with which came first and which had the most marketing. WoW's marketing is some of the craziest of all games.
    I'd say it's mostly about marketing, yes. I don't think most people playing WoW have ever heard of too many F2P mmo's. Not that more people equals a better game anyway.

Also, I wouldn't compare a B2P game to a F2P one, but rather think of what the payment model offers/subtracts to/from a specific game. For instance, let's say WoW was F2P, but you'd have to buy each patch separately, how would the game be better, and how would it be worse?

yes, guild wars 2 is f2p, not free to own.