Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

The word "kid" and what it means to its users

I'm trying to figure out whether I should be annoyed by the use of this term of if I'm just an old bastard who has lost touch with Internet youth culture.

I see a lot of people throw the word "kid" around; in games, on forums, etc. What I want to know is what does it really mean from the perspective of those people who use it so much?

Is it really an indication that you perceive yourself to be more mature, more enlightened, or simply older than your listener? Or is it just a meaningless term that you use as a generic address? And where does this usage trend come from? Is it in a Kanye West song or something?

Kidding about Kanye West (or am I?), but I am genuinely interested in some perspective here.

10+ Year Old Account
    people use it to be condescending and get on peoples nerves.

I find it's the go to word for people who have lost an argument. I become a "kid" suddenly. It's always pleasing to know I won. I really think people who say it are just out of crap to spew at me and decide to insult me and try to get me angry in somewhat subtle way.
    There are so many frivolous things in this world.

Someone less experienced than you
    Someone younger than you
    Someone you want to piss off
    Someone below the age of 13
    Someone below the age of 18
    Someone below the age of 25
    Someone who acts like someone below the age of 13, 18, or 25.

Probably some others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere between here and the sick, twisted world inside my head
    I use it for excactually the meaning it's created for, to adress ppl younger then me, either by age, or by behavior.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KenjiNitari View Post
    I use it for excactually the meaning it's created for, to adress ppl younger then me, either by age, or by behavior.
    But given its unnecessarily condescending tone, I wonder if the use of the word to address others is an indication of one's own immaturity?

10+ Year Old Account
    You kids and your slang...

justkiding guys, I'm just trying to get your goat.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't really use the term, nor do I know where it comes from. But whenever I see it used, or whenever it's used against me - I perceive it like a clear sign a smugness and arrogance on part of whoever used it.

So I would go along with your definition of:

Is it really an indication that you perceive yourself to be more mature, more enlightened, or simply older than your listener?
    edit: This ofcourse goes for usage in combination with arguements and such; things like "Hey kids, what's up?" don't really apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Marimba View Post
    You kids and your slang...
    I just realized the meaning behind your avatar.

/shiver

I'll use it instead of calling a peer by name. It can go either way honestly.

Yeah, when I say "He's a good kid." it mainly just means someone my age or younger.

Now that im thinking about it, I really dont use it correctly too often...

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone more than 10 years younger than me, or anyone who ACTS 10 years younger than me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

its mainly used when people are fighting and one of them loses the argument so in an effort to act superior he starts to antagonize the other person.

Theres some kids in another thread advocating killing children to save themselves.
    The word used to describe some of the new, stupid generation, usually the ones that need to wake up to themselves.

I know I'm in the minority but I use it differently. I'm not being smug or condescending, and I've used it for someone 40 years older than me in conversation. I believe I settled on the word because I have a parental nature about me, and calling someone kid subconsciously makes me responsible for them.

I'd say most people are just being "cool" or condescending, especially when using the word to describe someone who meets the conventional definition of the term.

I consider "kid" to be rather derogative in the context that I typically see it used in WoW. When someone uses it as an insult, I assume they're either teenagers who feel they need to distance themselves from someone who is likely within a few years of their own age and/or they're young adults desperately trying to shed that label themselves by applying it to someone they've deemed more immature. As feigning said though, it does seem to be a defensive retort for someone who has lost an argument or the very least, can't come up with anything more substantial. (Logic won't work so I'll resort to name-calling.) As for the adults who get perturbed when someone calls them 'kid', I don't know-- probably just some unresolved anger there=)

I use it in casual conversation when I'm talking about kids (understand, that to me, college students are still 'kids') but I wouldn't use it as an insult to rub someone the wrong way.

It's ad hominem argumentation. The person using the word is not very good at leading an argument without getting worked up, and thus tries to throw the opponent off his feet and take away his credibility by calling him a kid, since to some people being a kid is appearantly something very bad.

To me, someone is a kid if he is a kid. If an adult is acting like a douche, then he's not a kid...he's a douche.

Personally, I use it for two main reasons:

1. To let a person know I AM more experienced/knowledgeable about a topic. I rarely use it in this instance, though it can occasionally be used in a condescending manner.
    2. As a term to describe someone young for his profession, mainly in sports. I've called many baseball propects/young major league players "kid,"to point out the person is still a young player. As a Cubs fan, one person I've used it for is Starlin Castro, who debuted in the major leagues at just 20 years old. In this instance, though I am younger than some of the younger players in baseball, it's not meant to be condescending.

Deleted
    Its pretty much what people say to make themselves feel better, generally when they have been outperformed by someone and that person makes it known and they then proceed to make the assumption that they are a child. (mainly to make themselves feel better)