Lack of Recent Info

Since the closed beta, i was expecting some new info. The wait for an open beta sucks and some new info would help with the wait. So why the lack of news lately?

I think they are slowly releasing information by way of interviews. Like the profession combos this week as well as the Scout & Heart system.

Its really weird how they don't use their own site for this information but instead use fansites, twitter, facebook and other media outlets to spread the word.

I of course would prefer if they put stuff on their main site when talking about new things or expanding on old things but they dont even have their on forums so i guess this is just how it will be.

I suppose, anybody then have a good fansite to check for news? Ive only been going to the official site for possible news.

I give them the benefit of the doubt and think they're working their little socks off to get things done.
    There's been a few things released recently: hearts, cross-combos and they'll be a pvp one soon I hear.

Also, I like how they release things to fansites. Sure, it's piecemeal and random...but it's also directly engaging with the community. Love that tbh. Plus, they don't really play favourites. Also, they often reply to direct questions from sites. That's just plain awesome.
    Whacking a huge amount of info on a homepage is just leetist in comparison.
    They're actively engaging, and I love them for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorad View Post
    I suppose, anybody then have a good fansite to check for news? Ive only been going to the official site for possible news.
    There isn't one single fansite they generally release news to. On that note though, as much as some people here dislike their forums, Guild Wars 2 Guru DOES keep up with all Guild Wars 2 related news, be it from the official website or interviews on fansites, in their News, Interviews, & Articles section.

Deleted
    I think a pretty sizable update is coming between now and next week though. Everything seems to be pointing at that.

Yeah, they said they've got a lot of pvp updates coming soon, particularly involving WvWvW (which I'm most excited about).

I don't mind them not having ANet official forums. Finishing the game > dealing with forum trolls

We get news every month in some form, I've never had a problem with the stream of info we get. Honestly their transparency is the best I've seen in the gaming industry and GW2 is the most well documented game prior to release I've ever seen. There's still stuff that they need to get out on the blog, but it's all coming in time.

It will pick up in February (or this coming Monday).

I have been watching the relative quiet over on the ArenaNet blog myself, and my thinking is that they're pretty busy with results from closed beta, and perhaps deciding that a few aspects of the game needed even more polish than they've already been given.

I'm hoping that the results of the beta test (whether ongoing now or halted) were positive, and that the next thing we're going to hear about it Open Beta...

/kneels in front of ArenaNet gods

Please let it be so... please...

WTB more info' on Open Beta :P

But really, I don't mind because it probably means they're still working hard on the game. Furthermore, I'm glad they don't have forums yet because that means dealing with loads of trolls and morons, lol.

Hoping for more updates in the following months.

Stood in the Fire Stealthedbear's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Craind View Post
    It will pick up in February (or this coming Monday).
    Yeah, I forgot where I heard it from but some rumor saying there will be more info coming on Monday from them

Quote Originally Posted by Jorad View Post
    Since the closed beta, i was expecting some new info. The wait for an open beta sucks and some new info would help with the wait. So why the lack of news lately?
    When you do closed beta, you don't want results out. At all. Arenanet has stated its goals in making the game and they are remarkably ambitious. Meeting this goals is a monstrous challenge, and the possibility of catastrophic failure in one or many of those during development is huge. Imagine the PR damage by leaks of such failures to public.

They are most likely finding more and more problems with the new innovations and getting them fixed. Frankly, I say take your time. If you want to see what happens when you promise a lot and end up delivering almost none of your promises fully, go look at SWTOR.

---------- Post added 2012-01-22 at 10:20 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Neglesh View Post
    WTB more info' on Open Beta
    Open beta will be a demo of ready to release game (likely being the final stress test at the same time). Do not expect one until the game is actually ready for release.

Quote Originally Posted by Neglesh View Post
    WTB more info' on Open Beta :P
    The amount I would pay... Q_Q

I just want to hear more about the Orders (Order of Whispers, Durmand Priory, and the Vigil), and WvWvW (which I hear is coming out with more info soon).

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fishious View Post
    I don't mind them not having ANet official forums. Finishing the game > dealing with forum trolls
    This.

Both the quote from fishious' post and other posts make the point that its far better for development to not let the open public dictate how the testing process goes.

If you let trolls run rampant on your forums -- because lets face it, if there's an open forum, there will be more trolls than you can deal with -- it will take away from the testing process. Also, the downside to open forums is that if there are forums connected to a testing process, not only will they be trolled, but these so-called "testers" will complain about many things that either do not need to be fixed or are personal preferences that posters "demand" be fixed. Yes, this is not always the case. Yes, there are testers who actually "test" in betas. However, the amount of players to testers in open betas or forums can be a detriment to a game's development.