Page 1 of 16
... LastLast

No raids, end game PvP at level 1, incentive for getting gear at level 80?

So I have a question. I realize there is no raiding and whenever you want to pvp, you que and get pushed to level 80 with all the pvp gear unlocked.

So then, as a level 80 what gives me the incentive to farm PvE or PvP gear? I could just hit level 80 and que for PvP and have all the gear available to me.

Am I missing something?

Someone explain please
    Last edited by Lirik; 2012-01-22 at 04:16 PM.

Fun?

Personal accomplishment?

10+ Year Old Account
    You are rewarded with different style gear.

Seems pointless to me, but I'm sure the masses will "try to" give you a logical reason to why Auto-max PvP gear is better then the System they complain about in WoW, and how it is too easy to get.

Kind of makes me wonder.

Peoples general opinion about grinding honor for gear is: OMFG GEAR TOO EASY TO GET I WANT BETTER GEAR

Now you'll have people saying that doing no work to have gear is a good thing.
    Last edited by Pool of the Dead; 2012-01-22 at 05:34 AM.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Seems pointless to me, but I'm sure the masses will "try to" give you a logical reason to why Auto-max PvP gear is better then the System they complain about in WoW, and how it is too easy to get.
    Kinda seems pointless to me too.

I suppose you could argue that it allows for an entirely skill-based setup... which I suppose is true... But i'd still rather have a system where you can improve yourself.

Personally I like the SW:TOR system - 1-49 gives everyone roughly the same stats/gear, and at 50 you use your own shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

Quote Originally Posted by saberon View Post
    Kinda seems pointless to me too.

I suppose you could argue that it allows for an entirely skill-based setup... which I suppose is true... But i'd still rather have a system where you can improve yourself
    Well you don't really improve yourself but getting new gear. You are only improving your character.

I hate coming back to wow after a longe break and get rape in pvp. Its not skills, its gear and that is just bad game play.

Lets say you do well in pvp, then you will get gear whit a unique style, so you will visually stand out.
    Be patience I am dyslexic..

Quote Originally Posted by Pushkina View Post
    Well you don't really improve yourself but getting new gear. You are only improving your character.

I hate coming back to wow after a longe break and get rape in pvp. Its not skills, its gear and that is just bad game play.

Lets say you do well in pvp, then you will get gear whit a unique style, so you will visually stand out.
    And then PvP will be "swarm the player in good gear first, then kill the bads"
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

You cannot view this game like you view alot of MMO's out their. You have to play it as you would a Elderscrolls game. Take skyrim for example. If you just play it for the main story then you are going to miss out on all the other intricate pieces that make up the game. There is a reason for the flat leveling curve. They dont want the game to be about getting to the end. They want their game to be about the experiences and exploration throughout the game.

This is also why there is no gear progression. Gear progression trivializes the content the better the gear gets. Alot of players coming from a background where the gear has a huge impact on how you play will always feel challenged in guild wars 2 and thats a good thing. I dont know if you played WoW but when cataclysm launched i had a lot of trouble with the heroic dungeons when we first entered. And that was a fun experience, learning the fights and learning from mistakes, the fights were fun. But after raiding for a month those same dungeons lost their luster and became stale and old because they were not challenging anymore and were annoying to have to complete. I didnt feel engaged in the combat and fights were over in a minute or so.

The incentive for getting gear at level 80 will all be about how the gear looks more than how the gear improves my damage. What keeps you playing this game is the same thing that keeps you playing games like Skyrim which is the open dynamic world that is constantly changing where around every corner theirs undiscovered dungeons and in every town their is someone that needs help, and there are organizations sending you out on epic quests.

If you cant play a game for the experience then what are you playing it for? I play for the story btw =)

Deleted
    the point of the gear system is that there is the elimination of grinding to be able to experience content. The game will contain probably as many armor sets as you would find in other MMO's but the main difference between 2 armors obtained at lvl 80 will be the way the armor looks (and arenanet makes some rly rly rly good looking armors IMO) So farming that 1 uber awesome looking armor + achievements should be enough to keep you hooked. + there is the added benefit of eliminating "itemlevels" that makes sure that after 4 expansions ppl aren't doing absurd amounts of DPS
    Last edited by mmocb82a0ad0e5; 2012-01-22 at 05:50 AM.

Not really you can always choose to smurf and were the starter gear without any penalty for doing so.
    Last edited by MQM5K; 2012-01-22 at 05:54 AM.

There is max level pve, just with less people then a raid. As far as pvp goes I like the gear not mattering. I missed out on a lot of pvp this expansion because by the time I got my pve gear up to date I didn't have time or endurance to gear for pvp.

Search function is hard. Jesus Christ. Seriously there are about 1001 threads with this same question and all have been answered the same. Personal achievement and accomplishment is the reward. If you don't like it then stick to WoW or SWTOR. I am not trolling, just after the ten millionth thread asking the same thing it gets a little irritating. In the future please use the search function.

Like ppl do in wow vs bad gear ppl and healer. But this player will have the same stats like a new player, so the new player will have a fair chance.

I really like it and you don't and its okay.
    Be patience I am dyslexic..

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    You cannot view this game like you view alot of MMO's out their. You have to play it as you would a Elderscrolls game. Take skyrim for example. If you just play it for the main story then you are going to miss out on all the other intricate pieces that make up the game. There is a reason for the flat leveling curve. They dont want the game to be about getting to the end. They want their game to be about the experiences and exploration throughout the game.

This is also why there is no gear progression. Gear progression trivializes the content the better the gear gets. Alot of players coming from a background where the gear has a huge impact on how you play will always feel challenged in guild wars 2 and thats a good thing. I dont know if you played WoW but when cataclysm launched i had a lot of trouble with the heroic dungeons when we first entered. And that was a fun experience, learning the fights and learning from mistakes, the fights were fun. But after raiding for a month those same dungeons lost their luster and became stale and old because they were not challenging anymore and were annoying to have to complete. I didnt feel engaged in the combat and fights were over in a minute or so.

The incentive for getting gear at level 80 will all be about how the gear looks more than how the gear improves my damage. What keeps you playing this game is the same thing that keeps you playing games like Skyrim which is the open dynamic world that is constantly changing where around every corner theirs undiscovered dungeons and in every town their is someone that needs help, and there are organizations sending you out on epic quests.

If you cant play a game for the experience then what are you playing it for? I play for the story btw =)
    Delete every other post but the OP and this one and lock the thread. Then sticky it. Very good post, Zeek.

Deleted
    Before I go any further can someone answer this question(because I haven't kept up much with the Development), but is this going to be done the same way as "GW1" for PvE, where outside towns are instanced, or is it going to be a proper persistent enviroment like a traditional MMO?

It's not about gear and stats in GW2, it's about fun. I'm sure they'll have new gear sets specific for certain professions or something, but only for cosmetic purposes. So... more like new gear models and skins. However, the rate of the stats you receive at level cap will definitely remain the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrena View Post
    Before I go any further can someone answer this question(because I haven't kept up much with the Development), but is this going to be done the same way as "GW1" for PvE, where outside towns are instanced, or is it going to be a proper persistent enviroment like a traditional MMO?
    I assume by Traditional MMO you mean WoW? Yes the world is persistent. Like WoW. Not every town is instanced like GW1. Search function.

So let me get this 100% right, you get to lvl 80, you farm for gear that only has visiual difference and you got a set damage output and there is no way to improve that?

the endgame gameplay is then to run around and discover the world, get more visual gear and fight on a even scale vs everyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by airea View Post
    It's not about gear and stats in GW2, it's about fun. I'm sure they'll have new gear sets specific for certain professions or something, but only for cosmetic purposes. So... more like new gear models and skins. However, the rate of the stats you receive at level cap will definitely remain the same.
    Expanding on that, the gear has a plateau where it no longer gets stronger as you acquire it. Much like GW1 the gear improves via appearance. In GW1 the more expensive your armor, the better the skin, the fancier you were. It will be more or less the same, just do a search on the subject or a bit of online searching. Tons of info on it out there that can explain it better than me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajesto View Post
    So let me get this 100% right, you get to lvl 80, you farm for gear that only has visiual difference and you got a set damage output and there is no way to improve that?

the endgame gameplay is then to run around and discover the world, get more visual gear and fight on a even scale vs everyone else?
    That is correct.