Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    j

*Shrug* I get promised a lot of things, doesn't mean they actually happen. I'll save my doubt for WvWvW until I actually play the game.
    Rift also has large scale world PvP, that doesn't lag you up like ToR. That's another small company putting out something better than one of the biggest.

I believe Anet will pull it off, and it will be alot better than people expect, it's not hard for them to do so, with the engine they use and the testing they'll give it. If you build an engine with it in mind, it's alot more likely to be possible.

WvWvW will be better than ToR/WoW/Rift world PvP anyway, due to 3 "factions"(a.k.a Servers) rather than 2 going against each other.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewote View Post
    Many videos are recorded with handheld camera and many screenshots are from alpha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8XW5BULAqg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAMNwrF8rZ8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQfprmoSRiI

Here you can see some in-game recorded footage, and I think the graphics are much better.
    It still looks pretty poor to me.

I can certainly settle for the graphics if the rest of the gameplay is good, but I find it sort of strange to see so poor quality graphics in all the cinematics. One would think that they would display it with all settings as high as possible to make it look as pretty as possible, but many of those video's clearly don't even have proper Anti-Aliasing added.

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post

I can certainly settle for the graphics if the rest of the gameplay is good, but I find it sort of strange to see so poor quality graphics in all the cinematics. One would think that they would display it with all settings as high as possible to make it look as pretty as possible, but many of those video's clearly don't even have proper Anti-Aliasing added.
    I don't understand why graphics matter so much. Graphics aren't going to make you keep playing for months and years.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted
    I'm not sure what's poor about the graphics, they use their own style and don't go down the super catroonie route.

Quote Originally Posted by omlech View Post
    ANet isn't Bioware. ANet is using a heavily modified version of the GW1 engine that they know inside and out, Bioware purchased a license for an engine that no big developer had ever used and an engine that was originally designed for text based games. The Hero engine is unable to even render high resolution textures without choking. ANet uses a culling tech called Umbra that doesn't render anything the camera can't see and ANet has also said they test GW2 on video cards so old they have to get them from ebay(2002/2003 cards). You do the math.
    From Hero engine website, the text based game engine was an unfinished prototype they never managed to finish and optimize for an mmo like that, big fail imo. Tons of performance and graphic issues...
    “I need this,” said Gordon. “I am about to start a special project and these tools will let us build and prototype fast and get something running in a hurry.” Gordon is not an excitable guy by nature but this had his adrenaline flowing. “This is just what I need! I want to license your engine.”

It’s not productized yet,” we told Gordon. “There are whole sections of code that is only roughed in and not optimized for performance or security. And there are very few comments and very little documentation.”

He didn’t care. “We are going to have tons of engineers. We can finish it ourselves. We’re going to want to modify your source code for our special project anyway.”
    Anet is using highly modified GW1 engine they customized and know inside out, you can't compare the two...
    Last edited by Lefuu; 2012-01-23 at 02:41 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    I don't understand why graphics matter so much. Graphics aren't going to make you keep playing for months and years.
    Well graphics are one part of the game, certainly not the most important, but still significant.

Well graphics are one part of the game, certainly not the most important, but still significant.
    I assume they're not showing the best graphics because there was a lot of early fear from the community that their machines would not be able to run GW2.

10+ Year Old Account

Those videos are from the game's alpha, one can assume that the graphics weren't optimized at the time of their creation.

Besides that, the graphics don't really matter if they are serviceable to aesthetics.. Surely you can't deny that the game looks good.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Context sensitive custom music? Awesome! Definitely can't wait for this game now.
    Last edited by Benth08x; 2012-01-23 at 05:54 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    Those videos are from the game's alpha, one can assume that the graphics weren't optimized at the time of their creation.

Besides that, the graphics don't really matter if they are serviceable to aesthetics.. Surely you can't deny that the game looks good.
    I was specifically talking about graphics here. I considered explicitly stating that in an earlier post but I thought people would understand when I was talking about AA and stuff.

The art style looks good, it would just be much more satisfying watching the video's if they had their graphics in order.
    Last edited by mmoc43ae88f2b9; 2012-01-23 at 07:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was specifically talking about graphics here. I considered explicitly stating that in an earlier post but I thought people would understand when I was talking about AA and stuff.
    I know, I wouldn't have had that first sentence if I didn't realize you were talking about graphics, not aesthetics. I just don't see a reason to criticize graphics if the game looks good.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    I know, I wouldn't have had that first sentence if I didn't realize you were talking about graphics, not aesthetics. I just don't see a reason to criticize graphics if the game looks good.
    The art style looks good, but the visual display looks sloppy if you don't have things like AA in it.

Obviously we will have AA for release, but it just makes the video's look a bit bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    Rift also has large scale world PvP, that doesn't lag you up like ToR.
    because it's only a slightly more polished version of gamebryo they used for WAR. they hardly did any of the work that mythic didn't pave the way for already.

Quote Originally Posted by arceuid View Post
    because it's only a slightly more polished version of gamebryo they used for WAR. they hardly did any of the work that mythic didn't pave the way for already.
    Your bashing on Trion doesn't actually have anything to do with the point of his statement though, does it? Regardless of the engine they're using and how much work was put into it, it doesn't change the validity(or lack thereof) of his statement.