Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    You misinterpret what he is trying to say. It's not, "oh, only a few people can play in open beta". He is just defining how -they- attack the Open Beta portion of development. February will be for press only (to bring up hype for marketing), followed by March which will probably have Guild Wars veterans, followed by the April weekends which will be limited to a couple of weekends.

As he said, "To some people Open Beta means unlimited access to the game and everybody on the interwebs can play it. This is not what we will do." This means that everyone (or almost everyone) should have access, but it will be for a weekend and have a limited amount of content to explore.
    Last edited by Craind; 2012-01-24 at 01:03 AM.

Deleted
    New post by him, which to me confirms no "open" beta.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/...&postcount=709

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Kerstein View Post
    In all honesty: I have no idea where you see a problem?

Also - no, not everybody was able to play the Factions/Nightfall previews.

In general people: Just purge the term "Open Beta" from your brain. We are not using that terminology as it is a wrong one for what we are doing (see my earlier posting).

It is really simple: We are currently in Closed Beta. And then there will be Beta Events.
    And once we are ready to talk about specifics, we will also tell you about how to get in etc.
    Ignore the first line.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    Well, we'll have to agree to disagree until we get confirmation on it from Anet. As I'm reading it differently to you.
    Well, I can agree with that at the very least :P

Just give the word that preorders = beta access and you can have my money!

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    New post by him, which to me confirms no "open" beta.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/...&postcount=709

Ignore the first line.
    "for what we are doing", and he's saying that in a thread where people are slinging the term 'open beta' to describe the March/April betas. I will give you it does look more and more likely there may not be one, but I don't think it's completely ruled out either

If they do it the same as they did for the beta weekend events for the original game and its expansions, it shouldn't be too hard to get into. It might not be 'everyone', but it will still most likely be a lot of people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by omlech View Post
    Just give the word that preorders = beta access and you can have my money!
    Everything they said so far make me believe that they are doing beta weekend events similar same as they did in GW1, which mean if you pre-order game you will get access to these beta weekends.

Here is old GW1 webpages from wayback machine about beta weekends and pre-ordering back then.
    http://web.archive.org/web/200409290...w/default.html
    http://web.archive.org/web/200409290...w/wpe-faq.html

I'm going to sell a kidney to get acces to this beta....

I was really lucky with the RIFT beta's where I got accepted in to all 6 weekends.. *crosses fingers

10+ Year Old Account
    I already knew that. Obvious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Open Beta is a oxymoron. What you end up with is a whole bunch of people demoing the game and not testing it. Which I think is why SWTOR was released in such a horrible state. I'd rather not be able to play the Beta, but it actually serves it's purpose and GW2 does not release with such obviously broken stuff.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Deleted
    I dont mind them doing stresstests with a larger crowd in weekends, and then a bit less that can test every day.
    If they make weekend tests available to pretty much anyone, well I just want to check out how my old computer handle stuff that worries me: world events and world pvp.
    And I can give them feedback on that =)

Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    Great, another beta I won't be invited to.
    You and me both, buddy, you and me both

Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    I don't think it will be as closed as World of Warcrafts betas tho.
    The original launch of WoW had a full open beta leading up to the launch, they only started the select admittance with the expansions.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    As soon as this game is available for pre-order. I'm buying. It'll be the only game I've ever pre-ordered. :x

In a way I don't want beta access. If I got it though I'd still play. XD

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by carebear View Post
    As soon as this game is available for pre-order. I'm buying. It'll be the only game I've ever pre-ordered. :x

In a way I don't want beta access. If I got it though I'd still play. XD
    I've preordered things before, but this might be the first collectors edition I will get (please gief asura plushy with it).

Deleted
    Does anyone have any idea yet as to how we can opt-in for this beta? Will you need to sign up, or will they also invite people who have played GW1?

Quote Originally Posted by TheJekyll View Post
    Does anyone have any idea yet as to how we can opt-in for this beta? Will you need to sign up, or will they also invite people who have played GW1?
    And once we are ready to talk about specifics, we will also tell you about how to get in etc.
    So there really isn't any info released yet.
    I don't think they'll prioritize GW1 players, since they might piss off a majority of the players that did not play it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by leetsushi View Post
    So there really isn't any info released yet.
    I don't think they'll prioritize GW1 players, since they might piss off a majority of the players that did not play it.
    And it's fair, since it's two different games except for HoM.
    Personally I think they should have a crowd that meet different specific requirements that will test throughout entire beta, and add.. preorders are good requirement, that can try out the specific weekend events.

10+ Year Old Account
    It should require 30/50 HoM

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    It should require 30/50 HoM
    Should ban all Asura.