Page 1 of 2
LastLast

A DIFFICULT Strategy/Simulation Game

Hey guys.

Long time since I played any type of MMO but I thought I would get a decent response at MMO-Champion.

I've conquered a lot of Strategy/Simulation games and am looking for a hard challenge!

Football Manager series, Total War Shogun 2, Civilization V etc etc, all provide little challenge now. (Online play also)

Looking for a harder challenge. Can anyone recommend some strategy/sim games with a lot of depth? (Not starcraft 2). Not entirely interested in the series.

Cheers!

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much, star craft, I know you aren't interested, but Brutal mode will kick your ass repeatedly
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Dwarf Fortress?
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.6ghz | Corsair H70 | SLI GTX580 @ 850 Core | OCZ Vertex 2 90GB (Boot)
    G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB RAM @ 1800mhz 8-9-8-24

Avid game lover and Twitch streamer @ twitch.tv/rendhammerTV

10+ Year Old Account
    from the looks of things he doesn't like time constraints :P turn based or pause-able strategy games are the easiest ones to beat.

Sins of a Solar Empire is a great game for that, its RTS game set in space, it has everything from gathering resources and building to diplomacy. At the highest level, you can have a setting of over 100 planets and like 10 competing factions.

Tom Clancy's End War for xbox 360 is alright too, its all voice command so it gets pretty interesting, switching back and forth between your battlefronts to give real time commands, and it can get hectic.
    "I heard Shadowmourne procs naked ladies..."
    The rapture took my paladin - May 21, 2011
    In a recent online survey, 100% of the population uses the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    from the looks of things he doesn't like time constraints :P turn based or pause-able strategy games are always the easiest ones to beat - therefore I have my doubts as to the difficulty level he plays at if he's not looking for an increase in challenge.

You could always head down memory lane and attempt to beat the Heroes of Might and Magic III campaigns on the hardest difficulty setting - they're fairly close to impossible.

Also Master of Orion I or II on the highest setting are pretty tough.

Sorry for the DP -.-
    Last edited by jackofwind; 2012-01-24 at 06:45 PM.

Deleted
    multiplayer? starcraft.
    singleplayer? hearts of iron, europa universalis. i don't think it gets harder and more complex than these.

Deleted
    You could try King Arthur the roleplaying wargame, it's basically shogun 2 but with more rpg elements like spells/quests and things. There's a demo on steam you can try and the sequel comes out on friday

Sim City 4
    No idea how the hell it can be so hard!

Quote Originally Posted by Chowderman View Post
    Sins of a Solar Empire is a great game for that, its RTS game set in space, it has everything from gathering resources and building to diplomacy. At the highest level, you can have a setting of over 100 planets and like 10 competing faction..
    Giving a +1 for SoaSE. It takes bloody ages to complete the really huge maps.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zalmanusa View Post
    Sim City 4
    No idea how the hell it can be so hard!
    No city sim can be harder than the SC for SNES

Why not starcraft?

I share that you aren't interested in the series, I don't care about the lore or any stuff like that either. But when it comes to RTSes, it's top for a reason. If your looking for a challenge, thats it!
    Cho’Gall: Cairne Bloodhoof is dead? Did we kill him?
    Deathwing: No. The Grimtotems weakened him with poison, and then Garrosh accidentally hacked him to death with an axe during a heated political discussion.
    Cho’Gall: How do you accidentally kill someone with an axe?

Company of Heroes or World in Conflict or Men of War?
    Last edited by YouAreAllWrong; 2012-01-24 at 07:11 PM.

First of all thank you for the replies!

-Jackofwind
    RTS's aren't exactly my preference anymore. I played Age of Empires 3 to a pretty high level and find most RTS games don't even
    come close to AOE series. I bought Starcraft (the original) a few months back and just coulden't get into it (was probably the graphics though tbf).
    I like indepth games like the Total War series, Football Manager, civilization etc and RTS games don't seem to offer that. Correct me if im wrong.

Also, I agree Heroes of Might and Magic are known for their brutal difficulties and actually just got the demo for the latest one.

I will give SC 2 a go I suppose. Anyone know where I can get it fairly cheap? (Downloading Demo now)

any more suggestions, please let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by YouAreAllWrong View Post
    Company of Heroes or World in Conflict or Men of War?
    Company of Heroes is an AMAZING game to play I feel. I have played it for a few years and I loved every second of it. The campaign is so fun to play through to. It may not be the hardest game for you but it is a brilliant game.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLampard View Post
    First of all thank you for the replies!

-Jackofwind
    RTS's aren't exactly my preference anymore. I played Age of Empires 3 to a pretty high level and find most RTS games don't even
    come close to AOE series. I bought Starcraft (the original) a few months back and just coulden't get into it (was probably the graphics though tbf).
    I like indepth games like the Total War series, Football Manager, civilization etc and RTS games don't seem to offer that. Correct me if im wrong.

Also, I agree Heroes of Might and Magic are known for their brutal difficulties and actually just got the demo for the latest one.

I will give SC 2 a go I suppose. Anyone know where I can get it fairly cheap? (Downloading Demo now)

any more suggestions, please let me know!
    Not sure. But as to the demo, if it doesn't let you play online you might have some issues. I've tried doing the campaign and /bored. Its mostly the competitive atmosphere and the good balance making for some fun matchups. Except zerg vs zerg. ZvZ is retarded.
    Cho’Gall: Cairne Bloodhoof is dead? Did we kill him?
    Deathwing: No. The Grimtotems weakened him with poison, and then Garrosh accidentally hacked him to death with an axe during a heated political discussion.
    Cho’Gall: How do you accidentally kill someone with an axe?

Deleted
    Have you played games developed by Paradox Interactive? Hearts of Iron, Europa Universalis, Victoria, Crusader Kings? Those games can be very difficult as the AI is mostly surprisingly competent.

If I remember from the old times, Red Alert 1 was pretty darn hard. Specially the skirmish cpu\s will send you endless waves of vehicels and infantry. And guys if he clearly said NO Starcraft, then don't continue to shove it into him...

Mount and blade: warband and mount and blade: with fire and sword. Abit difficult to get into but once you do it's awsome. Some of the best combatsystems imo.

Deleted
    Empire: Total War has the same style of gameplay as Shogun 2; but the way you control the battles generally requires a lot more tactical thinking. Might be worth giving it a shot; although it's not for everyone.