Poll: Will Visa Reform Bring You to Visit the US?

Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    What if you had them at gunpoint and they just ignored you and kept grabbin shit?
    Then fair game... If they are duely warned then its fair game

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    I have a rock that keeps away cougars... not a single cougar has been seen in my country... And no, they are still human even if they violate other people's rights - there are such things as inalienable rights are there not?
    Nope, in my society up here isolated from most civilization you are expected to respect others privacy and never dishonor anyone in any way shape or form.

IF someone were to break into my house when i'm home i'm usually gaming or doing other stuff on the computer with no lights on or anything, if i hear someone break in i will make sure and find them and neutralize them in any way before they can harm me or my property, always expect the worst, i expect anyone that chooses to break into my home to treat me as i am going to treat them.

Of course i don't have to worry about those kind of people around here, Nor do i have to worry about the people where you're from that think they could get away with stealing, they wouldn't get half a mile up the mountain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Then fair game... If they are duely warned then its fair game
    That's the boat I'm in as well, just clarifying. I don't know about everyone here, but I think most Americans would do just that and put actually discharging the firearm as a last resort. I mean, come on, it costs money to get that hole in the wall patched up, and have you ever tried getting brain matter out of a carpet? Thats why I have tile floors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

10+ Year Old Account
    That's the boat I'm in as well, just clarifying. I don't know about everyone here, but I think most Americans would do just that and put actually discharging the firearm as a last resort. I mean, come on, it costs money to get that hole in the wall patched up, and have you ever tried getting brain matter out of a carpet? Thats why I have tile floors.
    Yep, I have hardwoods and the holes wouldn't be so bad on the drywall. Someone breaks into my home they won't here a verbal warning just the sound of me chambering a round in my 12 gauge... it's enough to make most shit their britches.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Clevername View Post
    Yep, I have hardwoods and the holes wouldn't be so bad on the drywall. Someone breaks into my home they won't here a verbal warning just the sound of me chambering a round in my 12 gauge... it's enough to make most shit their britches.
    Lol, ya 12ga is the way to go for home defense imo, but also the worst when it comes to accidently breaking your own shit. If I had to shoot a guy and my PC was damaged somehow I would go into seeing red/bloodrage/slaughter mode.
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?

Quote Originally Posted by MKing View Post
    Yeah, i find the viewpoint of not defending your property pretty stupid imo. *burglar breaks into a europeans house* /sipstea "go ahead have at all my stuff i wont stop you" *burglar takes everything and leaves* No offense ;P that's just what i see in my head when you guys say you won't stop people from stealing your stuff.[COLOR="red"]
    We are allowed to defend ourselves and our property - but we are not allowed to blindly murder people.

I read a story about a guy in texas. Some kid broke into his store, so he shot him. He then took his shotgun, reloaded it, and shot the attacker at point blank range to finish him off. That is not self defence. You defend yourself to the point at which you incapacitate your attacker, no more. That's how the law works in Europe (most of Europe). You knock him out, you choke him out, you incapacitate him, but you cannot finish him off. Instead you have to call the police.

But as to the 'guns make us safer' argument...American crime rates strongly disagree.

---------- Post added 2012-01-25 at 07:40 PM ----------

Nope, in my society up here isolated from most civilization you are expected to respect others privacy and never dishonor anyone in any way shape or form.

IF someone were to break into my house when i'm home i'm usually gaming or doing other stuff on the computer with no lights on or anything, if i hear someone break in i will make sure and find them and neutralize them in any way before they can harm me or my property, always expect the worst, i expect anyone that chooses to break into my home to treat me as i am going to treat them.

Of course i don't have to worry about those kind of people around here, Nor do i have to worry about the people where you're from that think they could get away with stealing, they wouldn't get half a mile up the mountain.
    Ahh, the people in Europe who obviously think they can get away with stealing. Thats why EU burglary rates are soo much higher than the US right? /endsarcasm.
    Cho’Gall: Cairne Bloodhoof is dead? Did we kill him?
    Deathwing: No. The Grimtotems weakened him with poison, and then Garrosh accidentally hacked him to death with an axe during a heated political discussion.
    Cho’Gall: How do you accidentally kill someone with an axe?

15+ Year Old Account
    But as to the 'guns make us safer' argument...American crime rates strongly disagree.
    To be honest, there is no way americans can be disarmed now. It has gone so far with so many illegal weapons floating around there that you cant justify to suddenley change one of the most basic american rights, to be armed.
    US is not like the EU where we have that luxuary.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkdruidelf View Post
    SNIP
    In cities maybe. Such little happens here that in the police area of the newspaper the most exciting thing is an old person calling the cops on teenagers walking on the sidewalk by their house.

In cities maybe. Such little happens here that in the police area of the newspaper the most exciting thing is an old person calling the cops on teenagers walking on the sidewalk by their house.
    Same can be said about villages in any country in literally the entire world...
    Cho’Gall: Cairne Bloodhoof is dead? Did we kill him?
    Deathwing: No. The Grimtotems weakened him with poison, and then Garrosh accidentally hacked him to death with an axe during a heated political discussion.
    Cho’Gall: How do you accidentally kill someone with an axe?

Deleted
    It's just so strange that you people only feel safe with guns around you, while most other people feel safe because they don't have guns.

But like I said, this has all been discussed in a topic only a few weeks old. The interesting part started at http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post14934312 really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkdruidelf View Post
    Ahh, the people in Europe who obviously think they can get away with stealing. Thats why EU burglary rates are soo much higher than the US right? /endsarcasm.
    http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...obbery-victims

You were saying?

10+ Year Old Account
    Damn those Japanese, they're just too fucking polite!

---------- Post added 2012-01-25 at 11:59 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    It's just so strange that you people only feel safe with guns around you, while most other people feel safe because they don't have guns.

But like I said, this has all been discussed in a topic only a few weeks old. The interesting part started at http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post14934312 really.
    Its a cliched phrase, but in much of the U.S. the saying "when seconds count, the police are only minutes away" is especially true.

15+ Year Old Account
    Burglary = robbery now?

I checked through some of those stats there, is it just me that find it odd that New Zealand top the charts on so many.
    I will have a look around, seriously doubt New Zealand is some crime heaven
    Last edited by Bakis; 2012-01-25 at 08:17 PM.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Burglary = robbery now?
    Got as close as I could, finding a graph compairing all countries for burglary is no easy feat.

Here's the perceptions of safety for burglary if that helps, but that's merely opinion.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...afety-burglary
    Last edited by Clevername; 2012-01-25 at 08:26 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Got as close as I could, finding a graph compairing all countries for burglary is no easy feat.
    I looked into it, not to as you might believe defend EU but cos New Zealand looked really weird.
    This is what I found.
    World of meters refer to a study International Study of Crime and Justice 2010, it is also linked if one click the Source button at World of Meters.

When reading that .pdf which World of Meters base its graph on I came across these two (took screenshots).

Obviously some of the countries outside the western world got dodgy statistics but the parts of Europe and North America should be fairly valid.

http://www.heuni.fi/Satellite?blobta...pplication/pdf
    Last edited by Bakis; 2012-01-25 at 08:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I looked into it, not to as you might believe defend EU but cos New Zealand looked really weird.
    This is what I found.
    World of meters refer to a study International Study of Crime and Justice 2010, it is also linked if one click the Source button at World of Meters.

When reading that .pdf which World of Meters base its graph on I came across these two (took screenshots).
    Lol, nice try, lumping us in with Mexico, pretty ballsy move there.

15+ Year Old Account
    North America (2) US / Canada I dunno, Im no expert on it, maybe tou can read them better
    To be honest I hate statistics so I might very well read it wrong, if so just tell me.
    Last edited by Bakis; 2012-01-25 at 08:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Now that made me laugh.

Sorry I'm too distracted now by all these stats, damn finnish people love to kill themselves.
    Last edited by Clevername; 2012-01-25 at 08:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    North America (2) US / Canada I dunno, Im no expert on it, maybe tou can read them better
    To be honest I hate statistics so I might very well read it wrong, if so just tell me.
    So then East EU is 4 countries and N Africa is 3? I don't think that's what the numbers mean. Traditionally N America is Canada, the U.S. and Mexico, and the fact that your graph puts N America above LDC's in Asia, Africa and Latin America kinda raises some red flags for me on its validity.

Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post

Feeling safe and being safe are not the same thing. Also feeling like you're able to defend yourself and actually being able to defend yourself are not the same.