Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadfuert View Post
    I believe there is, the fact they paid for GW1 and made GW2 possible is the only real argument I see however they are not entitled to it by default
    If they used that as an argument then that forum would really be going to a new low, it's already crap doesn't need anymore shit on it.

Deleted
    GW2 is a very different game than GW1 with a lot of new players. I've seen quite a lot of people on these forums excited about GW2 while not liking GW1. If they make the beta for GW1 players only (which I don't think they will) then they might hurt a large group of potential customers while only pleasing the GW1 veterans. ANet owes us nothing, you play a game for your own fun right? However, you could also reason that GW1 veterans will take an open beta more serious than new hyped players without a clue about GW. It's a tricky one.

Deleted
    I was in a high-ranked guild (top 10-20) in GW1 during prophecies/part of factions, so I was hoping I'd get beta privilege to offer some insight on balance, but if anything, they'll probably grab the current high-ranked players for beta (if they haven't for alpha already), so whatever; it's fair enough. As for the general population, I agree with the other dude: experienced beta testers (people who are actually willing to test) first, GW1 players second, everyone else last. I don't see it as entitlement, just the company showing loyalty to their customers much like their customers show loyalty to them -- it's just a nice gesture.

Giving any group priority, after the press test, will likely cause community nerd rage to some extent.
    Don't see Anet doing this. Would be a very unsavvy marketing move.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think they should give out beta invites randomly, but also give invites to people who have 30 or more rewards. My opinion is biased of course. :P

I haven't played GW1 but I do think they should hand out a reasonable amount of beta invitations to long-term or "successful" GW1 players. Reason is, most people, as you guys are well aware of, treat beta tests as free demos. I did it in GW1 and it haunts me in my sleep

However, people who are already certain they will play GW2, especially if they come from the GW1 scene and have shown their "loyality", are imho more likely to submit useful feedback.

See, person A never played GW1 and comes from, say, the WoW world with the intention to just "try GW2 out". Aside from their obvious feedback that there are no raids and no gear progression, they likely won't say anything constructive. If they like it, they might buy the game, if they don't like it, they'll just return to WoW.
    Person B, a hardcore GW1 player who is eager to play GW2, on the other hand will try to do anything he can to make this game a success. MMOs are most fun if they're successful and many people join in, so it's also in their interest that the game kicks ass. And that all beside from his obvious loyality to ANet and the GuildWars franchise. Much more and better feedback can be expected from people like Person B.

On a side note, I think that they should still give plenty beta invites away for "other" people, just for marketing and "fresh eyes" purposes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JiaYow View Post
    I haven't played GW1 but I do think they should hand out a reasonable amount of beta invitations to long-term or "successful" GW1 players. Reason is, most people, as you guys are well aware of, treat beta tests as free demos. I did it in GW1 and it haunts me in my sleep

However, people who are already certain they will play GW2, especially if they come from the GW1 scene and have shown their "loyality", are imho more likely to submit useful feedback.

See, person A never played GW1 and comes from, say, the WoW world with the intention to just "try GW2 out". Aside from their obvious feedback that there are no raids and no gear progression, they likely won't say anything constructive. If they like it, they might buy the game, if they don't like it, they'll just return to WoW.
    Person B, a hardcore GW1 player who is eager to play GW2, on the other hand will try to do anything he can to make this game a success. MMOs are most fun if they're successful and many people join in, so it's also in their interest that the game kicks ass. And that all beside from his obvious loyality to ANet and the GuildWars franchise. Much more and better feedback can be expected from people like Person B.

On a side note, I think that they should still give plenty beta invites away for "other" people, just for marketing and "fresh eyes" purposes.
    Thing is, those test weekends will most likely not be about feedback anymore about what to change. It's more to test WvWvW, to test DE's on large scales to see what the servers can handle. Unless something breaks because of the sheer amount of people, they won't change things anymore based on: "I don't like it because of X or Y". And you forget that are people out there like me, who are completely hyped but never bothered with GW1 because I didn't like it. You're thinking too much in black/white. not every player of GW1 will be such a good tester either.

Deleted
    I don't really care who gets to play the beta, as long as they ...

1. actively evaluate content and performance
    2. give insightful and relevant feedback
    3. report perceived bugs

People who just want to play for the fun of it have no place in a beta test.

I do believe people from GW1 should get a weekend to themselves. That's just because the true GW1 fans are quite frankly the ones who are most hestitant to playing GW2. Let them see the changes are for the better!

They should take applications from anyone with an NCSoft account

Why market your product to hardcore fans that you have in the palm of your hand? ArenaNet wants to make the best game possible and they wont get as good feedback from players that will play the game even if it doesnt live up to the hype. They do need players that have never played the first game (me!). They even said this when they brought in private testers that they got people that never played GW1 or even another MMO and just let them play and watched how they interacted with the game.

But i would be satisfied if they let anyone who signed up for the newsletter have a chance at an invite.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    If they used that as an argument then that forum would really be going to a new low, it's already crap doesn't need anymore shit on it.
    Heh, if you read the thread, that's exactly what several posters are claiming.

Quote Originally Posted by JiaYow View Post
    a hardcore GW1 player who is eager to play GW2, on the other hand will try to do anything he can to make this game a success. MMOs are most fun if they're successful and many people join in, so it's also in their interest that the game kicks ass. And that all beside from his obvious loyality to ANet and the GuildWars franchise. Much more and better feedback can be expected from people like Person B.
    This is one reason I can actually get behind for letting longtime GW1 players in. ANets obvious passion for their game is infectious, and it makes the more invested fans even more eager for the game to be great. Of course, to play devil's advocate here, there are plenty of people who didn't touch GW1 that are just as passionate about GW2 as the longtime GW1 supporters. Tricky indeed.
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2012-01-26 at 04:05 PM.

Deleted
    With 2000 hours played and owner of other gw products I would love to have early access to beta.
    But I think everyone should be treated as equal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    As I said over there in a rare Guru post , the open beta is a marketing exercise to help sell the game, so why would ArenaNet try to attract people that are already an absolute certainty to buy the GW2?
    For that exact reason. Quite a few of GW1 veterans are very pensive about GW2 gameplay changes, and need to be convinced to buy the game. Far more so then average fanboys who haven't played GW1.

GW2 is barely a sequel. It shares the same universe, but the game is completely different from GW1. What benefit can ANet get from players who are just fans of their universe?

I understand their stance on the open beta; I'm exactly the person they don't want in their open beta. I played GW1 beta for a couple of days (from a DaoC perspective) and hated it. I never gave any feedback and never bought the game. What benefit did ANet get from me?

For ANet to get any benefit as a beta testing tool, they need to have a selective beta. Back to the old days, where you (*GASP*) filled out a questionaire, with prior beta testing experience and had to write paragraph responses to targeted questions. It's a job, not a demo.

If they want a marketing tool, fine. Give it to the rabid GW1 players, and Facebook followers, and Twitterers, etc. Open it up through contest keys and whatever. I just don't see ANet doing that based on prior comments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone should be treated equally.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    We're like Jotun, having no outside enemies we turn violently upon one another along our one newfound difference and desire for dominance! (couldn't help myself)
    I liked that!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    For that exact reason. Quite a few of GW1 veterans are very pensive about GW2 gameplay changes, and need to be convinced to buy the game. Far more so then average fanboys who haven't played GW1.
    If GW2 was a direct sequel to GW1 I would agree with you, however its two separate games they just both take place in the same world. There would be no benefit to giving beta invites out to only GW1 veterans since the original intention of the beta is a promotional event.

If players have doubts you can read the sticky that covers most if not all info on GW2. If they still have doubts you can opt for beta or just buy the game when it comes out. Even if they dislike some of the things going into this game its still a great game to play.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzdoctor View Post
    I didn't play GW and I am against only letting in GW1 people (or letting them in first) because they think they 'should have the right'. ANet owes them nothing. The beta is for ANet, not the betatesters (us).
    The CEO has openly stated that the word beta has changed this generation and it is more of a demo, which is why the real "beta" wasn't released in 2008.

If they want to lock the CLOSED beta crowd simply only allowing GW1 players, it is a valid way to do it. After all closed, should be closed right?

This is no different than a person like totalbiscuit ALWAYS getting a beta key before you.

Especially since many of the original Guild Players have been there since the start and spent over $250 on all the games and mini stuff while all you did was eat ad revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by Eorayn View Post
    Everyone should be treated equally.
    Oh I wish that were true, but it's never true. Simple fact is as long as you're the majority you'll be treated equally. If you're not the majority, you will not.

It's human nature to force your views and never care about anyone else.

As a businessman, making people having the original guild wars to get in the second during closed beta is absolutely genius. It would force desperate people to get the original game if they don't have it AND then they will buy the second one afterwords. You got 2 games bought over a simple beta.

And you're sitting here thinking arenanet would never do that, but they don't have a say on the marketing... that's Ncosfts job. And their last game was basically buy the game and get into to beta.
    Last edited by Deyadissa; 2012-01-26 at 04:56 PM.
    The most important thing to realize is, no matter what you experience you are never alone; no matter what you are struggling through, there is always someone who is more unfortunate.

It's Ok to Be Takei (Rank 35/ Fractal Level 22)

The only reason GW fanboys should get into beta first is because they'll provide lots of positive press. You get the average Joe into beta, he may publicly say something bad about the game.