Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

What happens to the real-life money in D3?

First off, I apologize if this has been said somewhere and I went in moron mode and could not find it.

Now, we all know about the D3 AH and shizz but what I want to know is if you'll have the ability to withdraw the rl-money and use it for whatever you want and how.

They said they would reveal more as they get closer to launch but I couldn't find anything. There was a mention of credit card use and third-party payment shizzle. Will I, for instance, be able to use a debit card to withdraw the money I make by selling D3 items in AH for rl-money or will it be only credit cards (again if this has been said somewhere, I'm not asking about speculation).

And I mean, most people would use this to make real-life money while having fun if it's possible to actually withdraw the cash and use it on whatever you want instead of sodding Blizzard Store, WoW sub and b.net related stuff.

Again, I apologize if this has been said somwhere

Deleted
    Depends on where you live. If your country allows that kind of transactions, you will be able to widthdraw the money. Otherwize you will only be able to use it to pay for blizzard products.

They already stated that if the money goes to you battle.net account, you will never be able to withdraw it. However, instead of the money going to your battle.net account, you can attach a 3rd party payment processor (i.e., PayPal). The reality is most likely to be that the 10 different fees and limitations by Blizzard and PayPal make it infeasible to withdraw money in practice. Call me a sceptic, but when I read about the system, it seems like it's designed so that money goes in but never comes out.

Deleted
    Well they've definitely confirmed you can withdraw via paypal (which takes a 3% fee for incoming transactions).

So you get your money then you can choose, a) withraw, or b) sent it to your battle.net account, in the case of a) there may be a withdrawal fee from blizzard (unconfirmed) and a 3% paypal fee.

I haven't read anything at all about whether you'll be able to withdraw to a bank account/debit card, paypal is by far the easiest way for them to do a transaction universally I think. Paypal does let you then send the money to your bank account that's registered with them.. or send it on to merchants to buy stuff.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Skullcrack View Post
    The reality is most likely to be that the 10 different fees and limitations by Blizzard and PayPal make it infeasible to withdraw money in practice. Call me a sceptic, but when I read about the system, it seems like it's designed so that money goes in but never comes out.
    Yeah when I re-read the massive post about RMT AH it became obvious. I'd guess you can still make some money out of selling the items on the AH but it seems it won't be much. Goes to show that they mainly care about money now instead of the quality of their games. *looks @ WoW*

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    Well they've definitely confirmed you can withdraw via paypal (which takes a 3% fee for incoming transactions).

So you get your money then you can choose, a) withraw, or b) sent it to your battle.net account, in the case of a) there may be a withdrawal fee from blizzard (unconfirmed) and a 3% paypal fee.

I haven't read anything at all about whether you'll be able to withdraw to a bank account/debit card, paypal is by far the easiest way for them to do a transaction universally I think. Paypal does let you then send the money to your bank account that's registered with them.. or send it on to merchants to buy stuff.
    I'd guess we're looking at a at most 15% cut in total. I'm assuming they're going to make the cut to put up an auction small, possibly up to 3%, then the successful sell would probably be not more than 3% + the 3% PayPal cut and the unconfirmed withdrawal cut so I guess it won't be a massive dent :P

Quote Originally Posted by kri4o View Post
    Yeah when I re-read the massive post about RMT AH it became obvious. I'd guess you can still make some money out of selling the items on the AH but it seems it won't be much. Goes to show that they mainly care about money now instead of the quality of their games. *looks @ WoW*

I'd guess we're looking at a at most 15% cut in total. I'm assuming they're going to make the cut to put up an auction small, possibly up to 3%, then the successful sell would probably be not more than 3% + the 3% PayPal cut and the unconfirmed withdrawal cut so I guess it won't be a massive dent :P
    Blizzard fees are fixed. Actual numbers are unknown right now but something like 15cents per auctions is most likely. It will be a massive chunk for small prices and a cheap one for big items.

People saying withdrawing money will be unfeasible just overexagerate. It's quite true that you do pay a lot of fees along the way. Blizzard purpose is to make you use it on their products, so they really get this money. But if somehow you do a lot more money than you need for Blizz product you will have to withdraw with a % taken by Paypal/Blizzard. Maybe like 1 to 5% or another fixed amount.

They announced 3 fees total:
    1. Fixed Fee when you post an item on the RMAH. This one is free for a limited number of auctions per week.
    2. Fixed Fee when you succesfully sell the item.
    3. Fee when you withdraw money with paypal.

Since these fees are fixed they don't matter much, prices will take into account these fees in order for the seller to have the desired profit in the end. It will just make prices higher 30cents for the buyer.
    Last edited by rezoacken; 2012-01-26 at 06:20 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rezoacken View Post
    Blizzard fees are fixed. Actual numbers are unknown right now but something like 15cents per auctions is most likely. It will be a massive chunk for small prices and a cheap one for big items.

People saying withdrawing money will be unfeasible just overexagerate. It's quite true that you do pay a lot of fees along the way. Blizzard purpose is to make you use it on their products, so they really get this money. But if somehow you do a lot more money than you need for Blizz product you will have to withdraw with a % taken by Paypal/Blizzard. Maybe like 1 to 5% or another fixed amount.

They announced 3 fees total:
    1. Fixed Fee when you post an item on the RMAH. This one is free for a limited number of auctions per week.
    2. Fixed Fee when you succesfully sell the item.
    3. Fee when you withdraw money with paypal.

Since these fees are fixed they don't matter much, prices will take into account these fees in order for the seller to have the desired profit in the end. It will just make prices higher 30cents for the buyer.
    I c. Well it doesn't seem that bad if you ask me.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Alot of it goes to Blizzard, this is why i will pirate Diablo 3 as my form of protest

Quote Originally Posted by volar View Post
    Alot of it goes to Blizzard, this is why i will pirate Diablo 3 as my form of protest
    Well, while I'll first remind you that pirating isn't a subject we're going to cater to on the forums, I'd like to add that:

nobody knows what the fees will be. If the fees are so exorbitant that it is impossible to actually make any money at all from using the RMAH, then nobody will use it, simple. However, Blizzard is not stupid. They will not make fees that make the RMAH completely useless, because that would be stupid.

Im really curious how the RMAH will work. I mean, will it pay off based on luck...(you casually play and booom! you get an epic drop that you can sell on AH and make loads of cash) or you will need to farm night and day in order to make a few bucks? In this case, I think only gold farmers will be the only people really who wil make money out of this. Any thoughts?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatered View Post
    Im really curious how the RMAH will work. I mean, will it pay off based on luck...(you casually play and booom! you get an epic drop that you can sell on AH and make loads of cash) or you will need to farm night and day in order to make a few bucks? In this case, I think only gold farmers will be the only people really who wil make money out of this. Any thoughts?
    Both of those will be accurate in my opinion, I don't see why it's an either or situation.... drops are random so of course luck is a factor.

You can either get seriously lucky and spend 5 minutes killing a boss and wham, you get something awesome that sells for a good price OR you can spend 10 hours farming it to get the same item.

Odds wise, those who spend the longest time farming have the highest chance of getting the most valuable loot..... but that's not to say the super casual won't get lucky and find something awesome too.

If you want to try and make a living off it (however far fetched that seems, plenty of people are going to try) then your best odds would be investing as much time as possible to increase your chances.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatered View Post
    Probably neither. The only people who will truly make money out of it are those who have the wits and the investment capital to 'play' the RMAH.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Probably neither. The only people who will truly make money out of it are those who have the wits and the investment capital to 'play' the RMAH.
    The people that will truly make money out of it are the hackers that hijack your account and sell all your items on the RMAH.

The people that will truly make money out of it are the hackers that hijack your account and sell all your items on the RMAH.
    Joke's on them, they wouldn't be able to withdraw money, since they'd be 'hacking' a diablo character, not my personal bank account.

Deleted
    The authenticator is available in so many ways now - including free apps - I really don't understand why anyone would not have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    Both of those will be accurate in my opinion, I don't see why it's an either or situation.... drops are random so of course luck is a factor.

You can either get seriously lucky and spend 5 minutes killing a boss and wham, you get something awesome that sells for a good price OR you can spend 10 hours farming it to get the same item.

Odds wise, those who spend the longest time farming have the highest chance of getting the most valuable loot..... but that's not to say the super casual won't get lucky and find something awesome too.

If you want to try and make a living off it (however far fetched that seems, plenty of people are going to try) then your best odds would be investing as much time as possible to increase your chances.
    Once the game is established, I don't see items going for all that much. Maybe a few dollars for the best items?

Full characters, however, might be where the "big" money is. I could see people spending $20-50 for a fully decked out, max level toon.

That said, right at the beginning I'm sure prices will be insane.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasyn View Post
    Once the game is established, I don't see items going for all that much. Maybe a few dollars for the best items?

Full characters, however, might be where the "big" money is. I could see people spending $20-50 for a fully decked out, max level toon.

Aye, unless it's some super super rare 1 in a million off a boss type item, I seriously doubt prices will be high.... but I guess we'll see, you never know what people will spend their money on

To Clarify, ther ewas a blue post discussing this and I wish I could link it.

However, any money you put on your toon to (ie, buy blizzard items, buy stuff from the real money AH, etc...) you cannot withdraw. However, any money you make on the auctionhouse can be reused in Diablo or withdrawn via 3rd party such as paypal.

So it just depends on where you aquire the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Joke's on them, they wouldn't be able to withdraw money, since they'd be 'hacking' a diablo character, not my personal bank account.
    Hah, good point. Hadn't really thought about that. Though if they managed to hack your Diablo account, they might be able to go in and change it's associated PayPal account. Though then both Blizz and PayPal would know that the new PP account belongs to a hacker.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Quote Originally Posted by Jasyn View Post

Will you be able to sell toons altogether??!! I thought the AH is only for items...it would be weird to go on AH and put yourself up for auction