Poll: Should there be restrictions on where one can smoke?

Page 37 of 41 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I don't believe tobacco is the most harmful component in a cigarette, I think it's the paper and filter.
    Unprocessed tobacco+ pipe = win

10+ Year Old Account
    There are some links in one one my posts from a few days ago. Check post 400, 408, and 432.

Few facts about the anti-smoking campaigns' research, just a FYI. The bulk of their research is not done in labs. It is done in surveys and compiling certain statistical data that is very easily manipulated and very flawed. They have(and still do) taken data from a person that happen to get lung cancer that stepped into a smokey bar one time 15 years prior and linked it to second hand smoking. Some of their data is grossly exaggerated.

All of the data that is done in labs usually starts by an anti-smoking group, but ends up going to the tobacco companies as ammo. I stressed this earlier. If you want proof, look at the data itself. Do not blindly trust what you see in the anti-smoking adds.

Yes, cigarettes are bad for you, everyone knows that.
    No, cigarettes are not bad for others, disregarding special circumstances. Special circumstances usually manifest in severe heart conditions and the actual difference between chronic and acute.

Back to the original topic. I'm all for peoples personal freedoms. When you start to impede those freedoms is when I have to say no. Banning something because you don't like how it smells is silly. Should smoke be everywhere? No. That's just rude. Should it be nowhere? No. That is equally retarded. Somewhere in the middle should work. Create tobacco licences along the same line as liquor licences and make them expensive as hell. Only allow the tobacco licence available to a business with 60%+ liquor sales. Done.
    i hate people
    Quote Originally Posted by Epiphanes View Post
    It's a game. It's not real life nor will it ever be. If you want true recognition for being good at something, go play a sport and send us a link to a live stream of you winning the Gold at the next World Olympics. Until then, shut the f*ck up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaux View Post
    I don't believe tobacco is the most harmful component in a cigarette, I think it's the paper and filter.
    Unprocessed tobacco+ pipe = win
    What?!
    make no you sense

Deleted
    It should be banned entirely. Serves no purpose whatsoever other than harming people and the people around.
    My neighbours are smoking whole day long on their balcony and of course I get alot of smoke in my apartment.
    Kinda sad that they are allowed to smoke on their balcony while they are causing harm to other people around, even in their own homes.

White trash people...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MKing View Post
    What?!
    make no you sense
    As i said, I believe that the smoke cause by the paper is more harmful than the tobacco is, Smoking tobacco in a pipe removes that hence makes it a tad healtier.
    My grandgrandfather smoked pipe from age 12 until the day he died at age 96.

15+ Year Old Account
    They are about to make it illegal to smoke in a car with a young child in it. (where I live) Quebec. and thats a good thing I think. in fact I think smoking in all public area should be banned. people should only be able to smoke on their property, and in designated areas. since they passed a law that people can't smoke in restaurants, i'm so happy, noting pissed me more than receiving a puff from another table while I was eating!!!
    Claiming that your operating system is the best in the world because more people use it is like saying McDonalds makes the best food in the world.

As i said, I believe that the smoke cause by the paper is more harmful than the tobacco is, Smoking tobacco in a pipe removes that hence makes it a tad healtier.
    It has been proven SO many time that smoking from a pipe is no better, just as chewing tobacco is pretty dangerous. Your grandfather got lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Godavari View Post
    unless ur in a heavily polluted third world country where the feul and exhaust system isnt regulated i dont think so. and the sunlight cancer thing?! same as if there is no ozone layer wherever ur living. Oh not natures fault btw.
    You touch on a very interesting point here. You are saying that the negative of effects of exhaust fumes are negated in first world countries due to the fact that there is less of it or its slightly cleaner.

The exact same can be said about smoking. It most definately does cause cancer, and even second hand smoking causes cancer, but its all about quantity and potency.

Second hand smoke is far less potent. To get cancer from it it would require you to consistently breathe a sufficient ammount of the smoke for a long period of time, like in the case of your grandmother.

OT: My position is that smoking should not be allowed inside anywhere other than your home, or in specifically ventilated areas inside. It should, however be allowed outdoors pretty much everywhere, with the exception of areas like bus stops and other crowded areas.

I'm just gonna go ahead and throw this out here... do all the people in here that are against cigarettes out right also support the illegalizing of marijuana?
    Do they support the absolute banning of alcohol?

Do you support the loss of jobs these regulations would induce?
    Do you support the crash to the economy this would cause?
    Or how the entire tax/welfare system in the country comes to a SCREECHING halt?

Cigarettes produce a LOT of freaking revenue, that's used for things you can't even begin to conceive of, yet it's totally worth the cost to get rid of cigarettes.

Was the cost to get rid of pot in the streets worth it? Cause these were the same fucking arguments people used back in the 20's to get rid of pot.
    How it destroyed society, civilization, killed those around the stoners, reefer madness, tons and tons and TONS of scientific proof that showed potheads could go foaming mad and off sixteen people inside of thirty seconds from their resin induced godlike powers.

So I ask, in all seriousness, do you support the banning of ALL these things? Or JUST cigarettes, cause right now that's the one thing the propaganda machine has deemed to be the most offense to the masses, and we're gobbling it up?

Make no mistake, I'm not arguing they're lethal/not lethal, I'm just arguing that scientific evidence ALWAYS exists to prove things are lethal whenever the Government needs it to do so. Those Government grants to every form of science out there sort of helps that become a reality, no matter the substance.
    Last edited by Slanderize; 2012-01-28 at 04:53 PM.

I think it should be fairly restrictive. I'm fine with a privately owned bar, restaurant, movie theater, bus, or whatever have their own rules that allow/disallow smoking. People can go somewhere else.

Though I would get a bit restrictive on smoking in one's own home if a child is living there. It's one thing to harm yourself. but it's another to harm another.

10+ Year Old Account
    Finally, two people that actually know whats going on... Thermor and Slanderize.
    i hate people
    It's a game. It's not real life nor will it ever be. If you want true recognition for being good at something, go play a sport and send us a link to a live stream of you winning the Gold at the next World Olympics. Until then, shut the f*ck up.

As a smoker for over 30 years, who recently stopped smoking about 8 months ago and not missing it one little bit.

If I was still smoking, I would not dream of lighting up around anyone but other smokers. In fact, I now hate those people who do smoke in public and I get to smell it. It really is quite disgusting, but each to their own. In enclosed spaces, I'd agree with a blanket ban on smoking, but in open spaces, no.

I'm also of the opinion that it should not have been a total ban, but premises should have been allowed to create "smoking-areas", well away from non-smoking areas. It looks really bad when you see people/staff standing around outside, smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by Axxy View Post
    As a smoker for over 30 years, who recently stopped smoking about 8 months ago and not missing it one little bit.

If I was still smoking, I would not dream of lighting up around anyone but other smokers. In fact, I now hate those people who do smoke in public and I get to smell it. It really is quite disgusting, but each to their own. In enclosed spaces, I'd agree with a blanket ban on smoking, but in open spaces, no.

I'm also of the opinion that it should not have been a total ban, but premises should have been allowed to create "smoking-areas", well away from non-smoking areas. It looks really bad when you see people/staff standing around outside, smoking.
    I agree with this. I have no issues whatsoever with ANY company, business, corporation, whatever you wanna call it going out and banning smoking, I DO, however, have a lot of issues with the government coming in and telling everyone they have NO CHANCE at allowing smoking in THEIR business.

If McDonald's says ALL their stores are smoke free, so be it.
    If Bubba's BBQ and Suds (example) wish for their ONE joint out in that ONE town wants to let their customers to smoke inside, and the ones who don't want it won't go and will go to Mickey D's, then that SHOULD be fine too.

Bus stops, train stations, subways, even arguably theme parks/parks/schoolgrounds anywhere there's children, I can see that being banned, outside or not, even though I too agree if it's outside then it should be legal, if it WAS illegal so be it. But private business? No way.

Also I'd buy into the whole "making the world better through banning cigarettes" if countries didn't try to take such a huge shit on electric cigarettes.
    Canada it's not illegal to vape on them, it's just illegal to order any of the cigarette juice.

American legislature is currently trying its hardest to regulate the shit out of the electric cigarette companies but they've shot themselves in the foot with nicotine being "scientifically proven" to not actually kill people anymore so than caffeine, it's the tars and tobacco itself. So right now they can't tax it all to Hell and make it just as expensive or more expensive than smoking real cigarettes, ergo they're just at the moment losing a LOT of tax dollars, and it's pissing them off.

If they REALLY wanted to get people off smoking cigarettes, instead of all these billions of dollars dumped onto "Stop smoking" ads, and all these stupid ass warnings on the boxes, we just went all Planned Parenthood with it and gave out an E-Cig and four carts for every carton of cigarettes you traded in, or for a class you took, or for whatever reason, THEN I'd be a lot more convinced we're actually trying to change some shit.

At this point we're still just gobbling down all our revenue FROM cigarettes, and giving out just enough negative attention to make people feel like somehow we're turning the tide on this "death machine."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MC Payne View Post
    Yes, yes it is. Tell me again why people cant just walk to a different spot?
    WHy should we? you are the ones breathing cancerous smoke near people, YOU should walk away a bit...

I voted people should do it in their homes, but to be honest they should jsut think about the people around them when they light up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    Honestly though I'd be amazed if the xpac took that long, even taking Blizzard's soon(tm) into consideration. If it doesn't come out before October it means there are some serious issues behind the scenes and it's time to abandon ship like an Italian cruiseliner captain.

10+ Year Old Account
    My grandfather has been drinking since 15 and is 85 and perfectly find besides his parkinsons, it affects different people. tobacco is horrible and will cause lung cancer, not saying they should ban smoking, but people who do it and expect to not take any harm from it are just stupid. and the people who do it to harm themselves are even worse, pathetic, children.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think that when smokers are in the majority they can make the "why don't you go somewhere else?" argument. Until then, the majority is the side that has the greatest importance, and the happiness of the majority overrules the happiness of the minority, at least in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    I think that when smokers are in the majority they can make the "why don't you go somewhere else?" argument. Until then, the majority is the side that has the greatest importance, and the happiness of the majority overrules the happiness of the minority, at least in this situation.
    That's the same kind of argument a lot of people made when it came down to the abolition of slavery, and a plethora of other things such as most of the troubles in Iraq, Jordan, Syria, Pakistan, Iran, and any other country in the Middle East that takes a giant shit on the Christians, or being the wrong type of Muslim IE the MINORITY in an opposing majority's area.

You cannot use that broad handed statement to declare that for whatever reason because "most people don't do this, it should be this way."
    Most Americans are obese, should we ban all exercise in America? Be serious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slanderize View Post
    That's the same kind of argument a lot of people made when it came down to the abolition of slavery, and a plethora of other things such as most of the troubles in Iraq, Jordan, Syria, Pakistan, Iran, and any other country in the Middle East that takes a giant shit on the Christians, or being the wrong type of Muslim IE the MINORITY in an opposing majority's area.

You cannot use that broad handed statement to declare that for whatever reason because "most people don't do this, it should be this way."
    Most Americans are obese, should we ban all exercise in America? Be serious.
    A-Fuckin-Men (thats amen, not dude fuckin)
    i hate people

I smoke, but I have the courtesy to only smoke around people who are smoking. Blowing smoke into people's faces is beyond rude, and should be rewarded with a swift jaw-jack. Smoking in the vicinity of children is also pretty inconsiderate. But going to extremes such as banning people to their own houses is like banning men for standing up when they piss. Just because there are those certain assholes who can't handle a stream of piss and get it all over the bowl and toilet paper/the walls doesn't mean that the rest of us steady streamers should be punished.

This whole "punish the whole because the few are whack" is the type of thinking that removes freedoms from people, something that should be avoided at all costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Flappy View Post
    I smoke, but I have the courtesy to only smoke around people who are smoking. Blowing smoke into people's faces is beyond rude, and should be rewarded with a swift jaw-jack. Smoking in the vicinity of children is also pretty inconsiderate. But going to extremes such as banning people to their own houses is like banning men for standing up when they piss. Just because there are those certain assholes who can't handle a stream of piss and get it all over the bowl and toilet paper/the walls doesn't mean that the rest of us steady streamers should be punished.

This whole "punish the whole because the few are whack" is the type of thinking that removes freedoms from people, something that should be avoided at all costs.
    Seems reasonable, and I get where you're coming from. But I think you're underestimating the problem. In my experience, inconsiderate smokers are staggeringly common.

---------- Post added 2012-01-28 at 07:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by minro View Post
    No, cigarettes are not bad for others, disregarding special circumstances.
    This study funded by tobacco companies, no doubt. That's the only source I can think of for spreading such nonsense.