Heroic Morchok 10m - Holy Priest healing the Kohcrom side

My alt priest killed Heroic Morchok tonight, and I was the solo healer on the Kohcrom side. Just curious what people's preferred method of healing the tank/group as a Holy Priest.

My method: I tried to stay in single target Chakra and roll Renew on people while spamming PoH/CoH to keep the group up.

Problem: The group was pretty much never topped off except during Black Blood phase.

I really feel like I should have been in the AOE Chakra. Rolling Renew and refreshing with direct heals just "felt" right at the time, but I can definitely see being wrong there!

Is there a more efficient method for doing this?

edit: Also, am about to craft the tailoring bracers, but I'm actually considering going for the non-spirit ones (Bracers of Unconquered Power) instead of the Spirit ones. Am I crazy? You're trading Spirit for Mastery, essentially.

edit: My priest - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...olina/advanced
    BigCrits.com - real people conquering a virtual world!

I solo heal the Kochrom side every week as a Holy P without Inspiration. I just go the AoE Chakra and spam PoH basically. Renew and mending on the tank. It dies in like 3 minutes so meh, just blow through your mana.
    Last edited by Dorfie; 2012-01-29 at 05:51 AM.

Puts the "Super" in Supermod Venara's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I've successfully single-healed the Kohcrom side. Here's are my WoL parse and character:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/p...?s=2665&e=2995
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...enara/advanced

Also, I got an epic ranking (6) for that ^^ http://www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/...H/Holy_Priest/ Not really relevant but I thought it might help display that I sort of know what I'm talking about.

You definitely want to be in Chakra: Sanctuary using mainly PoH and CoH while keeping ProM on cooldown (preferably glyphed and cast on your tank as the first target). I found it extremely helpful to use BH and then GH with 2 stacks of Serendipity when I needed to bring the tank up. You'll also notice the occasional FHs. Divine Hymn is your friend also. You can use it at least twice in one fight. Be sure NOT to use it when a crystal is about to explode. It also helps to train your side to use your Lightwell.

I don't use Renew at all. It's a waste of GCDs since you can't keep it rolling without having to recast it (which obviously uses GCDs).

*edit*

Forgot to mention that this is not a recent parse. It was our first kill so my gear has improved since. For instance, I was still using the 2p T12 bonus. I still do as a matter of fact. The 4p T13 sucks really bad for Holy unless you heal in a 25 man raid. I'll be running with 2p T13 and off-set in the other slots. I do keep my heroic T12 pieces around for the 2p bonus when I need the extra mana though (extremely useful on Heroic Zon'ozz for example).
    Last edited by Venara; 2012-01-29 at 05:51 AM.
    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

Ok thanks so I was doing it wrong. I'll try that method next week, it definitely sounds better.

Any opinions on the bracer question? Or I guess I'm basically asking "how much spirit is too much?" Spirit vs Mastery.

15+ Year Old Account
    You'll miss the extra Spirit on other Heroic encounters (if your raid wants to and is able to progress further). As mentioned in my edit, Heroic Zon'ozz is an extremely mana intensive fight. Personally, I can only manage with 2pc T12 and all mana cooldowns. If I were missing Spirit, I'd probably notice it. It's really depending on the encounter though. There are encounters were you don't need the regen, like Yor'sahj. However, I'd recommend going for the Spirit bracers.

Also, I personally find Haste a lot more useful in 10 man than Mastery. As you can see on my Armory, I reforge my Mastery to Haste where possible and only keep around ~13-14 Mastery. So for my personal style, the other bracers aren't even up for discussion since they have Mastery on them.

However, as I also said, if you do 25 man, that's entirely different. In 25s you want to go for Mastery over Haste as far as I understand. Since you do 10 man though (since you won't solo heal Kohcrom in 25s ^^), I won't go into that.
    Last edited by Venara; 2012-01-29 at 05:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by clavarnway View Post
    Ok thanks so I was doing it wrong. I'll try that method next week, it definitely sounds better.

Any opinions on the bracer question? Or I guess I'm basically asking "how much spirit is too much?" Spirit vs Mastery.
    There's no such thing in this tier imo

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorfie View Post
    There's no such thing in this tier imo
    That's summing up my post pretty good (assuming I'm understanding you correctly). You can't really have "too much spirit", at least in 10 mans.

One thing though:

I do recommend using the Sash of Relentless Truth instead of Vestal's Irrepressible Girdle. You can do without the spirit there. There wasn't a spirit belt in Firelands either and it didn't hurt anyone Also, it has Haste and Mastery vs. Crit. Since crit is extremely bad for Holy, you're making a really good trade there.
    Last edited by Venara; 2012-01-29 at 06:04 AM.

Deleted
    On topic but also off topic question, are both sides equal in terms of healing difficulty or is one harder then the other? I've only ever healed Kohcrom side and it seams doable solo healing as disc but our resto druid has major issues on Morchoks side even when he has the non squishy tank, we end up 4 healing it just to pass it and get on with progress.
    Last edited by mmocb7bc0f26da; 2012-01-29 at 06:07 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    They're exactly the same. Morchok and Kohcrom are identical (except for their names) and use the same abilities, only that Kohcrom does them about 2-3 seconds after Morchok has done them -> Morchok uses Stomp, 2-3 second wait, Kohcrom uses Stomp. Basically, Kohcrom imitates Morchok with a short delay. Damage and abilities are exactly the same.

Both sides can be done with 1 Tank, 1 Healer and 3 DDs. Some raids like to go 1 Tank, 2 Healers, 2 DDs because it makes healing a lot more easy and you have plenty of time before the Enrage kicks in.

Hm it was my understanding that Morchok side is more healing intensive. Every healer that I've talked to so far has said so. Like, there are more stomps or something.

edit: Yeah, look at the log you linked. Nya and Delory did 9.7 million on Morchok side while you did 7.8 million on Kohcrom side. At least I assume that's how the healers were split. Of course that could be explained if you had people who resisted more damage on the Kohcrom side...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by clavarnway View Post
    Hm it was my understanding that Morchok side is more healing intensive. Every healer that I've talked to so far has said so. Like, there are more stomps or something.

edit: Yeah, look at the log you linked. Nya and Delory did 9.7 million on Morchok side while you did 7.8 million on Kohcrom side. At least I assume that's how the healers were split. Of course that could be explained if you had people who resisted more damage on the Kohcrom side...
    You are correct. It's quite easily explained though. The groups were set up as follows:

Group 1: Sargom, Venara, Ruuvalk, Vierra, Acedia - approximately 8.8 million damage taken
    Group 2: Hooloofoo, Nya, Delory, Jadzía, Filuna - approximatel 11 million damage taken

Check the damage taken: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/p...?s=2665&e=2995

My side has taken fewer damage and that has a few reasons:

1. Ruuvalk is a Boomkin - he's got an innate -15% damage.
    2. Vierra is a Rogue - he soaked the "double stomp" with Feint, which negates the double-stomp completely. On the other side, Jadzía (Warlock) was soaking the double stomps. As you can see, he took 1.1 million more damage than Vierra because he can only reduce the damage.
    3. Acedia is a DK - he's the only plate wearer aside from the tanks. His armor provides a lot more mitigation.
    4. I use the Glyph of Inner Fire (more armor = less damage) for this fight and have a shield up often (for the speed effect).

Basically, we set it up so that I had to heal less than the other side to keep because I was solo healing. It's still a lot to do alone but it helps
    Last edited by Venara; 2012-01-29 at 06:34 AM.

Looks like the logs were uploaded.

Here is the kill - http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/i...?s=3012&e=3311

It was messy, Kohcrom died at like 5%, we killed it by the skin of our teeth. I'll try the PoH style next week, hopefully it will work out better.

I am under the impression that Morchok indeed does one more Stomp and Crystal than Kohcrom. A lot of guides/discussions also mention this. Are you sure Venara? You might want to look into that.

For example, plenty of people in different threads here in the Raids&Dungeon section say that if you have 3 healers, go with 2 for Morchok and 1 for Kohcrom exactly for that reason.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarqa View Post
    I am under the impression that Morchok indeed does one more Stomp and Crystal than Kohcrom. A lot of guides/discussions also mention this. Are you sure Venara? You might want to look into that.

For example, plenty of people in different threads here in the Raids&Dungeon section say that if you have 3 healers, go with 2 for Morchok and 1 for Kohcrom exactly for that reason.
    I am not absolutely certain, no. However, I never noticed him doing more Stomps or Crystals. Might just have been that I've had my hands too full to notice. In any case, I think if you split up raid members that take reduced damage you could definitely two-heal the encounter though. Perhaps I'll try that with my raid next week.

Pretty sure he does an extra crystal each set and/or more stomps. In our 25 whenever somebody has to go to Morchok side that is usually on Kohcrom side they complain about having to move a lot more.

Deleted
    Morchok spawn 3 crystals , Kohcrom only 2 , stomps are the same

I don't have experience healing 10man, only 25man, but I disagree with whoever said you shouldnt be using renew. If I was healing it solo I would keep renew rolling on the tank, along with pom. I would precasting POH for the stomp and then immediately COH after stomp goes out, then double binding heal the tank or another person if tank is topped off and hold your 2x serendipity for another POH if you need it. At that point you could push another POH or just renew your pom and renew on the tank. and rinse repeat.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would really like to know how a few other people feel about the renew topic. I have not solo healed a side yet, but i feel next week may be my chance due to the fact of other healers wanting less stress >.< If there is any other information on this please supply!

I use renew. Some others do, some others don't. If you're spec'd into it it's a 1 second GCD and it's pretty efficient if it doesn't overheal. I've been using it a lot all expansion, less so now but I definitely don't ignore it.

If you have extra mana (and I can't see how you wouldn't) there's absolutely no reason NOT to precast renews.

Concept: I cast 5 renews before the stomp when my side is topped up and there's absolutely nothing else to cast. It burns a LOT of mana, but as long as I don't OOM before the boss dies it's fine. Last renew to get refreshed is the tank's, because I need a lot of direct tank healing so that renew is the most important to do healing after stomp. As the stomp is about to come down, mending+sanc -> PoH. All those precasts get your group topped back up again several seconds earlier than they would otherwise. Win for you. When you're running to the crystal, waiting for it to explode and then running back in, you again have nothing better to do than refresh renews.

I prefer not to self shield for body and soul, and I have very good reason for not doing so, but I feel I could start an off-topic debate by going into details. either way, self-shield to allow yourself 1 less instant and 1 more PoH before the crystal explosion. or don't self-shield and spend that time getting all renews refreshed before re-stacking.

Put down a lightwell every time you can and teach your side to all click it immediately following stomp (at least following every 2nd/3rd stomp - that's 8 charges per phase, about right)).

When there's spot heals to do and you're standing still next to boss, don't use renew. it's only useful for filling dead time by precasting stomps, and in motion. Spot healing in CH:Sanc should be done with FH, not renew - unless the fight is long, you're mana limited, and burst is less important than sustain. None of those restrictuions apply for morchok.

While you're still struggling 2- or 3- healing you should definitely have a spec with RR. Also remember to un-glyph CoH in 10 man (improves your manapool longevity without sacrificing any throughput, this fight only). It should go without saying, but be willing to cast GS anytime you made an error, to prevent deaths.
    Last edited by zakaluka; 2012-01-30 at 02:48 AM.