Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Yeah, compressing to a 128 height limit is not really feasible. We have done this on the Cursecraft WoW render and it's really really flat. The second option is interesting but annoying to pull off. The third option would force our players to get a client mod which is also not an option.

We'll just have to wait until Mojang increases the height limit.

To make life easier
    Last edited by rkma; 2012-02-16 at 12:04 PM.

If you ever need a dedicated server to show off your work in, or possibly make these renders, Cursecraft is always available.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlamin View Post
    If you ever need a dedicated server to show off your work in, or possibly make these renders, Cursecraft is always available.
    I'll keep that in mind. I have a small server of my own, but it can't handle more than 5-10 people, and I'd rather not pass out the info publicly.

---------- Post added 2012-01-29 at 05:53 PM ----------

I'm also wondering at what point I should start documenting this code better...
    Last edited by rkma; 2012-02-10 at 08:22 AM.

I assume you will be "rendering" the world through a Bukkit plugin?

EDIT: You should hop into #minecurse-wow. I'm really interested in talking to you. I'l be around until like 2 hours after this post.
    Last edited by Marlamin; 2012-01-29 at 06:52 PM.

I assume you will be "rendering" the world through a Bukkit plugin?

EDIT: You should hop into #minecurse-wow. I'm really interested in talking to you. I'l be around until like 2 hours after this post.
    BlockRenderer outputs region files, which are usable with a vanilla server. Eventually I will be using Cubic Chunks, which requires its own server mod, but I don't if it's Bukkit or not because I haven't started dealing with that yet.

As far as the height limit is concerned, I'm just going to have to use the best thing available, and if it doesn't work well then making it work better is just an extended part of this project. If that means I eventually have to work on the Cubic Chunks project or harass Mojang to implement a better height limit, then fine =p

---------- Post added 2012-01-30 at 02:59 AM ----------

---------- Post added 2012-01-30 at 05:15 AM ----------

Last edited by rkma; 2012-02-04 at 05:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    made an account finally after reading MMO-C forums for about a year to tell you that this looks AMAZING please tell me you're going to make it available to download when you've finished

Quote Originally Posted by Luceo View Post
    made an account finally after reading MMO-C forums for about a year to tell you that this looks AMAZING please tell me you're going to make it available to download when you've finished
    It will be available in some form or another, either as a download or hosted on some server.

As it stands, this tool can recreate the entire game (continents, dungeons, raids, etc.) since every map follows an identical format. The only challenge to overcome is the height limit, which I haven't decided the best way to deal with it yet (mod? wait for mojang? something else?)

10+ Year Old Account
    out of curiosity, what block limit are you looking to reach?

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/..._fromsearch__1
    Last edited by Marlamin; 2012-01-30 at 05:04 PM. Reason: fixed link for you

Quote Originally Posted by Luceo View Post
    out of curiosity, what block limit are you looking to reach?

EDIT: cant post links but www(dot)minecraftforum(dot)net/topic/310298-100robintons-mods/page__p__6353152__fromsearch__1
    2048 might be enough, perhaps. And yes I know about Cubic Chunks, but it and other mods all have various drawbacks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsesakama View Post
    2048 might be enough, perhaps. And yes I know about Cubic Chunks, but it and other mods all have various drawbacks.
    ah k, fair enough, i've subscribed to this thread so keep us updated and good luck with overcoming the hight limit!

Looks awesome! Might want to make it a scale it up a tiny bit to allow for more detail. Looking forward to exploring this!

Looks awesome! Might want to make it a scale it up a tiny bit to allow for more detail. Looking forward to exploring this!
    I was considering scaling it another 10-50% but not until I figure out height limit issues, because it's already cutting things off.

Quote Originally Posted by ramsesakama View Post
    I was considering scaling it another 10-50% but not until I figure out height limit issues, because it's already cutting things off.
    Yeah, I've started a "spam Minecraft devs on Twitter about high limit" campaign.

EDIT: Also, whenever you have something playable we could do a little try out on Cursecraft to see what it's like to play. It's ok with the messed up height limit.
    Last edited by Marlamin; 2012-01-30 at 07:37 PM.

Deleted
    this is bloody awesome, all i have to say.

I'd like to try generating the eastern side of Kalimdor, since I think it will fit inside the height limit. This includes Durotar, the Barrens, Dustwallow, Thousand Needles, Tanaris, and most of Azshara. Mulgore/Stonetalon will not fit, and the trees in Feralas/Ashenvale would be clipped (they're also very, very, very dark right now). Un'Goro is below sea level, so that won't work either.

Before I do that though, there are three things I should finish:

- Get water working correctly (it's not, don't be fooled by the screenshots)
    - Map terrain textures the same way that model textures are being mapped
    - Map (almost) every texture in Kalimdor to Minecraft blocks

Mapping the textures should be a bit easier now, in addition to "priority" I also have an "unassigned" material, so I know which ones I've already mapped to blocks. I still expect to map several thousand textures, the Orgrimmar area had around ~1500.
    Last edited by rkma; 2012-01-30 at 08:16 PM.

Just found this thread. Amazing work so far!

Man, I don't even play Minecraft and I just have to pipe in to say how awesome this is...

This is awesome!
    Be nice to nerds, chances are you might end up working for one. -- Charles J. Sykes

Updated the BLP labeling tool slightly.

http://i.imgur.com/MXoJw.png

You can now skip any "assigned" textures and look only at ones needing assignment. It also works with the mousewheel =D
    Last edited by rkma; 2012-02-11 at 10:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This looks really amazing, when you make this stuff, how "done" is it going to be? Is it just the ground and stuff you'll have, or complete with buildings and trees?

If you ever need a builder with too much free time on his hands, let me know.