Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Semihage View Post
    Weird.. I usually really look forward to new Bliz games.. But maybe cuz I played D2 WAY TOO MUCH during my college days..

I just got into beta last night, rolled a witch hunter.. and it plays.. exactly like the lvl 90s necromancer I used to have..

Maybe I need to join some pub game and do some MP..

Honestly, what do people feel so new and fresh about D3 that wasn't in D2?
    im confused... did you roll a witch doctor or a demon hunter, clearly you were paying attention

plus being in beta myself and only having access to act 1 which literally takes 40min to speed through if you want, there isnt really much to see or experience
    of course it gets boring quick

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Abrasion View Post
    I just wish Blizzard would stop playing it safe with their games and try to inovate like they used to. I don't see why this game took this long to release, it's the same game with a shinier paint job. Same goes with SC2.
    I heard they're releasing this new WoW expansion with a brand new race, new lore, an entire new continent, and new major villains to fight. And then some people got very angry at them for trying something so "innovative" and "not safe."

As for D3, it'll really take the full game to judge it in its entirety. And you have to remember, Blizzard isn't only trying to cater to previous Diablo Fans-- they're of course trying to pull in new customers as well. Rock solid gameplay is a good way to do that.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2012-02-05 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I heard they're releasing this new WoW expansion with a brand new race, new lore, an entire new continent, and new major villains to fight. And then some people got very angry at them for trying something so "innovative" and "not safe."
    ROFL!! pure win

Blizzard has NEVER been innovative in the sense that they create entirely never before seen gameplay, they've always "played safe". Their main strength is in how they can polish the shit out of a game and make rock solid gameplay, while having the guts to stand to their "When It's Done" mentality.

They aren't afraid to cut a game that isnt up to their standards, while many other companies would just release and then call it a flop and move on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.

10+ Year Old Account
    in Limbo... damn the Wi-fi is expensive here...
    Quote Originally Posted by Flimsy View Post
    Well the ''beta'' (demo) is around 90-120 mins long, if you played it for a few weeks that's quite alot to be fair..
    Finally someone else who agrees with me its nothing more than a glorified demo... People expect BETAs for nearly every game now a days. So this is nothing more than a PR stunt from blizz to build hype around a game that should of realistically been released already. I sincerely hope (after waiting 10 years for this game) it doesn't turn in to another duke nukem forever.

I LOVED Diablo 1 played it for years, but got bored of D2 after about 10hrs /played and never really picked it up again.

Hoping D3 is a tad different or I foresee myself playing it once and never again.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

D3 beta has been incredibly underwhelming, but in all fairness the game ends at like lvl 8 with only doing 1 questline (I hope to god it's not the zone)

The best description I've heard of the game is that it's a facebook game with better graphics.

Customization is in the spells you use? that's retarded because some spells are clearly a lot better than others. I don't see the advantages in leveling, for the first bit it's to unlock more spells, but then what? Without a talent tree system leveling becomes irrelevant once you unlock all your skills.
    Common sense is not common at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Abrasion View Post
    How is it any different? They added rocks on ramps, added new units, and took others out. Oh, and there's some physics when shit dies. Yay.
    The devil's in the details, as they say. In an RTS, even a single unit added or removed, or a single unit modified, can completely change the way the entire game plays out.

I love Blizzard's sequels precisely because they are similar to previous games in the genre. Nothing pisses me off more than buying a sequel to a game that I loved, and finding that they changed so many things that it feels like a completely different game. If I wanted a completely different game, I would have bought a completely different game. When I buy, say, Dawn of War 2, I expect to find the core mechanics of Dawn of War, updated with new strategies, fixing old issues, and so forth. So yes, it still feels like Starcraft... you gather minerals and vespene gas, build structures, build units and research upgrades, etc. If it wasn't that same core game somewhere, it shouldn't be called Starcraft 2.

(These days, while I read up on any game before buying it, sequels are subjected to far more intense scrutiny... just to be sure I'm getting a continuation of the game I loved, not something completely different released under a familiar name to try and trick me into buying it.)

That's not to say that sequels which are completely different can't be good games; they can be, absolutely. I just don't think they should bear the same title. It is admittedly subjective what makes a game feel like what it is.... but diablo 3 feels like a diablo game to me so far, so I'm ok with it.

---------- Post added 2012-02-05 at 10:25 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mashane View Post
    Customization is in the spells you use? that's retarded because some spells are clearly a lot better than others. I don't see the advantages in leveling, for the first bit it's to unlock more spells, but then what? Without a talent tree system leveling becomes irrelevant once you unlock all your skills.
    Higher stats, and items have level requirements. As for some spells being better, I've seen a lot of situations similar to situations I've seen with the new MoP talents... people saying that X talent is clearly the best, but often choosing abilities I would not have chosen myself. I think part of the reason is that everyone has preferred play styles... and when they see an ability that fits their play style perfectly, and allows them to excel, it's hard to imagine another ability being equally useful.

I disagree with their recent decision to allow skill swaps without the use of the altar of nephelem, however... I like the system as a whole, but I still feel like you should have to go back to town to make the changes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    I disagree with their recent decision to allow skill swaps without the use of the altar of nephelem, however... I like the system as a whole, but I still feel like you should have to go back to town to make the changes.
    I'm a bit confused as to why they let you do that- changing skills only in the town means you're commited to those skills and that playstyle every time you go out- it gives more incentive to think carefully about the skills and runes you want. Just letting you change them when the situation requires it seems a bit..well, anticlimactic. Missing a skill that'd be extremely useful in the area you're in? go back to town or just live with the consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    Higher stats, and items have level requirements. As for some spells being better, I've seen a lot of situations similar to situations I've seen with the new MoP talents... people saying that X talent is clearly the best, but often choosing abilities I would not have chosen myself. I think part of the reason is that everyone has preferred play styles... and when they see an ability that fits their play style perfectly, and allows them to excel, it's hard to imagine another ability being equally useful.

There's a psuedo lock everytime you switch spells to dissuade people from doing it too often, but my problem is that there's no character customization beyond armor. Some people might use different spell combinations, but I can pretty much gaurantee that there will be core spells that everyone of a class runs with and then the spells that matter far less and people can sub in and out. No talent tree is very annoying.

So our character power ups and customization comes completely from items?

Deleted
    There's a psuedo lock everytime you switch spells to dissuade people from doing it too often, but my problem is that there's no character customization beyond armor. Some people might use different spell combinations, but I can pretty much gaurantee that there will be core spells that everyone of a class runs with and then the spells that matter far less and people can sub in and out. No talent tree is very annoying.

Diablos isn't an MMO. You don't have to be the best in one roll. You have to Knock the enemy down by your own.

And to do so, there wouldn't only THE way to get it done. Yes, most of the Players will go with the most possible Damage inclueding the Surviabilty they need, to get stuff down.

But you have an option to use only 1-3 Dmg spells, and fill the others with usabilty skills. In this case you cant beat the s*** out of everything, but you can play a more "PVP" orientated game in PVE. You don't have the pure DMG, but you have an bigger control over the fight.

So far the beta for me....is like i play a cheap jap mmo . I am very sad that i actually prepaid the collector's edition. I was expecting blizzard to add some quality on this game, seeing they developed it for what now 4years ...but i guess everything now has been 'activisionedfied'. we are in 2012 and yet, i dont see evidence of this evolution on diablo and CERTAINLY i was expecting too much from all the hype blizz created. I was thinkin to myself, if the game was named something else and if a different company had created it, i wouldnt even bothered by it. I REALLY hope the majority of features is missing on beta, else i am screwed. ><

EDIT : Sad part is that i am atm playing swtor even tho i got a d3 beta invite. That proves that it aint interested enough to hook me up ><

Quote Originally Posted by Jaak View Post
    Diablos isn't an MMO.
    I'm curious....what is it then?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xeonix View Post
    EDIT : Sad part is that i am atm playing swtor even tho i got a d3 beta invite. That proves that it aint interested enough to hook me up ><
    The beta lasts for all of an hour and a half or so, so it isn't that surprising lol. Unless you want to play the same Act five times in a row just to test each class or play MP if that is even available in beta.

Its hard to base something off such a short test. I like some of the changes they made like making you not click gold to pick up, the interface is much better, and the little mini dungeons that were all over the map were nice. It played a lot more like WC3 than I anticipated, minus the RTS aspects obviously, and looked a lot like it with better graphics. The map felt small and narrow with essentially one path to the objective and little exploring to do, but that is likely because it is just the starting zone. The D2 starting area was much, much more expansive for Act 1 so hopefully killing the Skeleton King isn't the only thing in the entire first Act. I seem to remember seeing a shut gate that could have led to the next area plus there were a bunch of waypoint spots left if they fill them all in the first Act. Seemed pretty fun to me.

10+ Year Old Account

But this was exactly the same in Diablo 2 - think of all the cookie cutter builds (even though the term wasn't used - like hammerdins, javazons, firesorcs etc. You will have builds "everyone" uses, but the D3 system allows you easy experimentation with other spells and runes, reforging items etc. without having to grind a completely new character.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratyrel View Post
    But this was exactly the same in Diablo 2 - think of all the cookie cutter builds (even though the term wasn't used - like hammerdins, javazons, firesorcs etc. You will have builds "everyone" uses, but the D3 system allows you easy experimentation with other spells and runes, reforging items etc. without having to grind a completely new character.
    There's a deadzone from 30-60 (all skills and passives will be unlocked on lvl 30 when u move onto nightmare) where u just get upgrades to your stats. But blizzard is changing(they havent nailed it how they want it to function) the runesystem so I hope they put that in to the 30-60 deadzone

Quote Originally Posted by discopolice View Post
    There's a deadzone from 30-60 (all skills and passives will be unlocked on lvl 30 when u move onto nightmare) where u just get upgrades to your stats. But blizzard is changing(they havent nailed it how they want it to function) the runesystem so I hope they put that in to the 30-60 deadzone
    The deadzone in D2 was 60-99. It's no different in Diablo 3.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gaq62VCcnew
    Nevar 4get Exarch Cyn.
    The Horde and The Alliance haven't changed since Warcraft 2. Pandaren are the first true change to either faction for 12 years.

I played D1 and never bough D2, but can't wait for D3 to see what I missed.

I'm curious....what is it then?
    ARPG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_role-playing_game

3rd person perspective

The game lacks a massive game world and only allows a maximum of 4 players

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtaroth View Post
    I'm a bit confused as to why they let you do that- changing skills only in the town means you're commited to those skills and that playstyle every time you go out- it gives more incentive to think carefully about the skills and runes you want. Just letting you change them when the situation requires it seems a bit..well, anticlimactic. Missing a skill that'd be extremely useful in the area you're in? go back to town or just live with the consequences.
    Currently a little way through one of the starter quests in the first act you unlock a portal to town that you can toss up anywhere. When you get to town there's a return portal you can click which takes you back to the same point. It's literally only a couple of seconds to go to town and return. It's slightly inconvenient only to change what spells/skills you have loaded, it's great for selling stuff and emptying your bags quickly.