Beta, Demo or Stress test

So I get Beta and burned through it in an hour or so. I get the Congtas you beat the beta message. Then I got to thinking, is this a beta or a stress test? I mean it went so fast I am not sure how many times one will play through it to get true testing value.

Or was this just a stress test? Throw 100K more people at the servers and see what happens (which is important).

Understand I am not complaining, and will do a lot more MP to see if I can find bugs and exploits.
    "Peace is a lie"

Deleted
    stress test is part of the beta?

and ofc its not a demo

Its all of the above.

You can report bugs on it and test things out, thus it serves the beta functions.
    You can sample part of the first act of the game, thus it serves the demo functions.
    Many people are currently able to access it to a degree, thus it serves the stress test function.

still waiting to get beta key :S

http://www.diablofans.com/news/1078-...ta-blue-posts/

The recent beta invites were for North American players only as we’re still heavily interested in server performance, and inviting local, low-latency testers is important to achieve the results we need. While we absolutely want to continue to bring in players from around the globe, our intent is always going to be to do what best serves our testing requirements.

But as Sanguinesun said, it's all three.

It's not a Demo. If it were a Demo anyone could download it and play it.

I would have said it's just a closed beta test until they invited 100,000 North Americans. Now it's definitely a Stress Test. Which could mean a Release Date is coming
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gaq62VCcnew
    Nevar 4get Exarch Cyn.
    The Horde and The Alliance haven't changed since Warcraft 2. Pandaren are the first true change to either faction for 12 years.

Deleted
    It's mostly stress test. I've noticed quite some movement with diablo3. Something is coming. *delayed release date* jk

Deleted
    They have specifically said on multiple occasions in blue posts that the beta is majority stress test; although that saying - people have found a LOT of bugs for them too. A demo on the other hand is a finish product just capped with a limited amount of content, to encourage you to buy the product. A beta is a testing stage of an unfinished product in order for us to help them produce a stable/bug free product..... part of that testing process is testing how it runs on different pcs with different settings and different operating systems, and how their systems respond to traffic.

Deleted
    It is more of a closed demo than a beta tbh and with the new invites going out they starting to test the servers now, hopefully (been saying this for 5 months) the game wont be THAT far away..

i realy doubt it is a stress test way too early for that ....
    no reason to run a stress test until you are close (say 1-2 months) prior launch, and at that time you would read everywhere when it will be released

i highly doubt also it will be released in 2012 as it is going atm, MoP will be released around end of october iirc
    i'm 99% sure, they don't want to competition their own games against each other so you can be pretty sure, Diablo 3 will be released the lattest !!! 3 months prior MoP release

which gives us around 1st july for release date ....
    2 months prior to release they will have to announce the release date, or the distributors will go crazy, so this gives 1st of May
    i'm not in the beta, but from what i read around the various forums, the game is far from releasable status so my best guess is early 2013 ....

my 2 ct

Quote Originally Posted by Lierial View Post
    i highly doubt also it will be released in 2012 as it is going atm, MoP will be released around end of october iirc
    i'm 99% sure, they don't want to competition their own games against each other so you can be pretty sure, Diablo 3 will be released the lattest !!! 3 months prior MoP release
    Your "2 ct" as you put it are worthless, considering they already insured they would not be self-competing by offering Diablo 3 free to anyone who subscribes to WoW for 12 months. They thought way ahead of you.

If they find a way to delay Diablo 3 to 2013, the game better be a totally different experience by the time another year rolls around because as far as I've played (all of the beta), the games beyond finished.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gaq62VCcnew
    Nevar 4get Exarch Cyn.
    The Horde and The Alliance haven't changed since Warcraft 2. Pandaren are the first true change to either faction for 12 years.

Quote Originally Posted by davesurfer View Post
    So I get Beta and burned through it in an hour or so. I get the Congtas you beat the beta message. Then I got to thinking, is this a beta or a stress test? I mean it went so fast I am not sure how many times one will play through it to get true testing value.

Or was this just a stress test? Throw 100K more people at the servers and see what happens (which is important).

Understand I am not complaining, and will do a lot more MP to see if I can find bugs and exploits.
    There's no NDA, so practically this type of thing is always a demo. I do think they are still in testing stages, not just stress testing.

I played a few hours yesterday with my girlfriend. We started from scratch and redid the entire run of the 4 available quests twice, and enjoyed it. We found a few points where the game would crash and/or get very stuttering type of graphical issues. We have two different machines, and we both had similar issues at the same time, suggesting perhaps it's certain areas of the game or server connection issues.

We couldn't figure out how (and assumed it's probalby not possible right now) to adjust the difficulty. Overall as a Witch Doctor I was just spamming my couple of abilities and we never once came close to being in trouble (or taking any damage for that matter). Even as starter areas it seems a little too lite.

The only other issues we saw is they have adjusted the AOE of the Monk a couple of times--I forget the name but it uses spirit to pull everyone in and blow them up--we both can see that getting adjusted down again. It trivializes a few of the special events. I loved the witch doctor but the damage output wasn't nearly as burst as that one ability is.
    Last edited by Standing; 2012-02-05 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lierial View Post
    i realy doubt it is a stress test way too early for that ....
    no reason to run a stress test until you are close (say 1-2 months) prior launch, and at that time you would read everywhere when it will be released

which gives us around 1st july for release date ....
    2 months prior to release they will have to announce the release date, or the distributors will go crazy, so this gives 1st of May
    i'm not in the beta, but from what i read around the various forums, the game is far from releasable status so my best guess is early 2013 ....

my 2 ct
    Their reasoning for cancelling Blizzcon this year contradicts your 2 ct. They posted that they cancelled Blizzcon because they are too busy releasing 3 products this year. MoP, D3, SC2 expac.

Its the same ammount of content they released for DII beta, roughly the first "chapter"

Quote Originally Posted by Nightsbane View Post
    Its the same ammount of content they released for DII beta, roughly the first "chapter"
    You mean the first 3rd of act 1? Yeah, basically. But at least the Diablo 3 one,you get to test all 5 classes. Diablo 2 was Barbarian only, and only 2 quests (up to Blood Raven).

They are still aiming for Q1 of 2012 to release, so if we see a release date for end of March/beginning of April, I'll be plenty happy... the 27th of March would be cool, since my birthday is the 28th.