Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

IMO Bounty Hunters and Smugglers shouldn't start with a faction.

First of all if there is a post about this I apologize .. I went through 6 or more pages and didn't see anything.

Ok back on to subject. To me these two classes are more aligned to making credits (last time I checked credits don't have a faction), depending on how you play them. If you play them light (fighting for the good of the galaxy but still wanting to get paid) or dark ( just wanting to get paid and create some carnage on the way).

It seems to me these two classes would be ideal to choose a faction through quest story line or at later levels through your actions.

As far as the balance of classes. God knows I see plenty of Imperial Troopers around, and plenty of Republic SIS agents...

Thoughts?

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree. I've always thought it was sort of dumb that Bounty Hunters would only work for the Empire and Smugglers would only work for the Republic.

SWTOR definitely lacks these types of things. No player bounties wtf?

If anything they should just allow you to choose a side in character creation. At least this way you could say yes Im a Imperial/Republic Bounty Hunter/Smuggler or what ever.

Deleted
    After playing my bounty hunter to 50 I feel that I have often felt it to be weird to be locked to the Empire. Time and time again my character says she doesn't give a damn about politics and is only in for the credits, so why can't I take jobs for the Republic?

Although it's far too late for them to make such a change, I would still love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaozu View Post
    After playing my bounty hunter to 50 I feel that I have often felt it to be weird to be locked to the Empire. Time and time again my character says she doesn't give a damn about politics and is only in for the credits, so why can't I take jobs for the Republic?

Although it's far too late for them to make such a change, I would still love it.
    Exactly I wonder if they will ever institute a faction change ... lets face it that is actually a large part of the Star Wars mythos.. but that is neither here nor there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaozu View Post

Not to mention if you play the BH with a lot of loyalty to the Empire your companions dont like it.

Wonder what the reasoning was for making BH Empire only and Smuggler Republic only?

sady the only famous smuggler traded his ways for the rebellion whilst the only famous bounty hunter did most of his jobs for the imperials.

so in the end thats wthe way BW wnent with it, BH is empire and smuggler is Republic. personally i hate that there are imperial trooper NPCs and republic agent NPCs. If BW knew that going in why did we end up with such a ass backwarsds class mirror of BH/trooper and smuggler/IA.

I also dont like that smuggs and BHs cant start off factionless because it really ruins their story immersion to a degree. say i was a BH for hire with a HEAVY grudge against the empire I would want to take all republic and pirate jobs against the imps, samew if i was a smuggler hey i want fccreds so why not run guns for both sides of the war and profit from both.

I'm gonna pretend you didn't say smuggler. Since no real smuggler would ever, ever, try to help an oppressive government that would execute him the second they were done with him.

As for the rest, this game has the most voice overs of any entertainment product ever. 8 unique stories, and you want them to add 4 more? Stop being ridiculous, this game would have never come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Maneo View Post
    Exactly I wonder if they will ever institute a faction change ... lets face it that is actually a large part of the Star Wars mythos.. but that is neither here nor there.
    i think a afactionless change would be good, i mean what if you want to go on both sides and make the most creds.

---------- Post added 2012-02-06 at 06:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by torftw View Post
    I'm gonna pretend you didn't say smuggler. Since no real smuggler would ever, ever, try to help an oppressive government that would execute him the second they were done with him.

As for the rest, this game has the most voice overs of any entertainment product ever. 8 unique stories, and you want them to add 4 more? Stop being ridiculous, this game would have never come out.
    dude you need to tone it down a bit. a TRUE smuggler would take the creds wher they are would careless about what government is in charge. you are a SMUGGLER so of COURSE the government would want you dead your an outlaw.

I think this but also this if you want to start say a Voss character to maybe lvl 10. The voss are cool and could go either way for force users.

10+ Year Old Account

Lol you have no idea what your talking about. A smuggler is about making money, they dont care where it comes from, only the risk involved. Like Bounty Hunters, their only allegiance is to themselves.

Perfect example: Han Solo plans to leave the ice planet Hoth to repay a debt owed to Jabba the Hutt to save his own skin even though the rebel forces and princess Leia want him to stay and lead the rebels. Even Luke Skywalker gives him a hard time about this, he only stays to find out what happened to Luke after he does not return from patrol. Later he gets caught in a Imperial attack.

Another example: Nar Shadda is often called "the Smugglers Moon". This planet is ran by the Hutts, not the Republic.

Dont tell me Smugglers have unwavering loyalty to the Republic...
    Last edited by philefluxx; 2012-02-06 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maneo View Post
    Wonder what the reasoning was for making BH Empire only and Smuggler Republic only?
    The smuggler is based off Han Solo, who was on The Rebel's side during the movies, hence him being on the good (Republic) side in the game.

The Bounty Hunter is based off Boba Fett, who assisted The Empire during the movies.

Even though this game takes place 3000 years before the movies, much of the character stories and game developments mirrors how things were done in the movies. Even The Esseles flashpoint plays out like a mini version of A New Hope.

I'm not saying I agree with it, I'm just stating where the idea appears to come from.

Actually....

bh spoiler

If you play a light side BH at the end of your class quest you make a deal with the republic boss and kill Darth Torment the sith who has hired you, cleansing your name.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bufferunderrun View Post
    Actually....

bh spoiler
    Does it remove the title? I wouldnt want to lose that.

Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    Lol you have no idea what your talking about. A smuggler is about making money, they dont care where it comes from, only the risk involved. Like Bounty Hunters, their only allegiance is to themselves.

Perfect example: Han Solo plans to leave the ice planet Hoth to repay a debt owed to Jabba the Hutt to save his own skin even though the rebel forces and princess Leia want him to stay and lead the rebels. Even Luke Skywalker gives him a hard time about this, he only stays to find out what happened to Luke after he does not return from patrol. Later he gets caught in a Imperial attack.

Another example: Nar Shadda is often called "the Smugglers Moon". This planet is ran by the Hutts, not the Republic.

Dont tell me Smugglers have unwavering loyalty to the Republic...
    I didn't say smuggler have to be with the republic. I said they would never work for the empire. Only a stupid smuggler would take credits now from the empire only to get executed later after the empire wins. Bounty hunting is legal in the empire so it works for them. Smuggling by definition is illegal, and if you break the law in the empire you die, no chance to bribe a corrupt enforcer. Look at the smuggler in the trailer for the game, he is arrested by the jedi, if he crossed the empire they would just kill him. Credits mean nothing if you are dead.

A true smuggler values freedom, freedom to fly around and take jobs, both legal and illegal. That is not possible in the empire and only a short sided stupid smuggler would ever fight for them. See here:
    http://www.hulu.com/firefly

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't say smuggler have to be with the republic. I said they would never work for the empire. Only a stupid smuggler would take credits now from the empire only to get executed later after the empire wins. Bounty hunting is legal in the empire so it works for them. Smuggling by definition is illegal, and if you break the law in the empire you die, no chance to bribe a corrupt enforcer. Look at the smuggler in the trailer for the game, he is arrested by the jedi, if he crossed the empire they would just kill him. Credits mean nothing if you are dead.

A true smuggler values freedom, freedom to fly around and take jobs, both legal and illegal. That is not possible in the empire and only a short sided stupid smuggler would ever fight for them. See here:
    http://www.hulu.com/firefly
    First of all, thats FireFly and not StarWars. Second of all if you have watched the series you would also know that Mal has done jobs for the Alliance when they needed money. Also Mal was part of the Brown Coats (Independents), he has hatred for the Alliance for many reasons. He was not always a "smuggler". In fact he only "smuggles" as part of the work they do. They are really just hired hands trying to make their way in the galaxy. Staying to the outer rims and away from the Alliance is Mal's way of accepting defeat. River and Simon are the only ones that are KOS as far as the Alliance are concerned.

Continuing, Bounty Hunting is not legal within the Empire. Play a Bounty Hunter, I will not spoil the story here. A Bounty Hunter can have the Empire turn on them just as fast as a Smuggler. The Empire will not necessarily kill a Smuggler just for being a Smuggler if he/she can prove useful. You need to read a little more about Star Wars instead of making these claims based on your knowledge off of episodes 4,5,6.

What else you got?
    Last edited by philefluxx; 2012-02-06 at 07:30 PM.

Smugglers and Bounty Hunters begin with their respective factions because Bioware must facilitate equal gameplay options. Simple as that.

Gameplay > any other thing possible in a video game.

Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    First of all, thats FireFly and not StarWars. Second of all if you have watched the series you would also know that Mal has done jobs for the Alliance when they needed money. Also Mal was part of the Brown Coats, he has hatred for the Alliance for many reasons. He was not always a "smuggler".

Continuing, Bounty Hunting is not legal within the Empire. Play a Bounty Hunter, I will not spoil the story here. A Bounty Hunter can have the Empire turn on them just as fast as a Smuggler. The Empire will not necessarily kill a Smuggler just for being a Smuggler if he/she can prove useful. You need to read a little more about Star Wars instead of making these claims based on your knowledge off of episodes 4,5,6.

What else you got?
    Okay firefly does not equal starwars. Fine. I was trying to describe what a smuggler is. And how it makes no sense to ever fight for a side that would oppress you.

But I'll stick to starwars if you want, my BH is level 47. The mandos have an entire area of DK assigned to them, and while the actual bounties I pick up may not always be sanctioned specifically by the empire, they let me do what I want. And the empire does hire me to hunt people all the time. And if the empire won they would still hire me to hunt people. A bounty hunter can work for the empire and still be a bounty hunter.

As for not killing a smuggler if he is useful, well he isn't a smuggler anymore if he works for the empire now is he? Now he is just an imperial agent that does some smuggling. Which is my whole point. If you want to twist the definition of smuggler to be "thug" or "gangster" then sure, he can work for the empire, but then he isn't a smuggler anymore and that defeats the whole purpose of having a smuggler character switch to the empire. Just make an imperial agent or bounty hunter instead.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I 100% agree.

Somewhat OT; I think it would be awesome (but not going to happen) to "level" the faction imbalance by light/dark.... you can switch sides based off your alignment instead of just rPub or Imp; those neutral would stay with the original side they chose.

10+ Year Old Account
    But I'll stick to starwars if you want, my BH is level 47. The mandos have an entire area of DK assigned to them, and while the actual bounties I pick up may not always be sanctioned specifically by the empire, they let me do what I want. And the empire does hire me to hunt people all the time. And if the empire won they would still hire me to hunt people. A bounty hunter can work for the empire and still be a bounty hunter.

As for not killing a smuggler if he is useful, well he isn't a smuggler anymore if he works for the empire now is he? Now he is just an imperial agent that does some smuggling. Which is my whole point. If you want to twist the definition of smuggler to be "thug" or "gangster" then sure, he can work for the empire, but then he isn't a smuggler anymore and that defeats the whole purpose of having a smuggler character switch to the empire. Just make an imperial agent or bounty hunter instead.
    Huh? A Bounty Hunter hunts people and items in risky situations. A Smuggler moves items/objects/people in and out of risky situations. A Imperial Agent deals in Intelligence and assassinations for the Empire. How is a Smuggler even close to a Imperial Agent if he decides to do work for the Empire? He's not a assassin and if he dealt in Intelligence he would sell it to the highest bidder, not exclusive the the Empire in any way. A Bounty Hunter is far closer to a assassin, but if he chooses not to kill does that make him a smuggler? WTF is he smuggling? His conscience?

Why does a Smuggler have to be a thug if he works for the Empire? Does this "thug" as you put only choose darkside options then? So light side is out?

I'm really starting to think your trolling me here....