Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Obsevations from watching all six movies after playing SWTOR.

After a month of playing SWTOR I was inspired to watch all six movies in episode order.

Much of the in-game music comes from the prequel trilogy. Apparently I didn't recognize the music when I first watched the prequels as they came out in the theater and on DVD.

Out of the original trilogy I don't recall a single moment where an Imperial stormtrooper took a direct hit from a lightsaber. Sure there was the instance in episode VI where Luke severed the front of a speederbike causing the trooper on it to crash a nasty death, but I never saw lightsaber hit the white armor.

However in episode III I do recall a pre-teen Jedi student take out a few clone troopers during the purge of the Jedi Temple while Senator Organna was watching. However should I really count the clone troopers as Imperial stormtroopers?

Am I wrong about stormtroopers and lightsaber victim-hood?

How has SWTOR changed your perception of the movies?

I wrote about it the other day again,

5-6-7 are terrible movies considering acting and script.

there are some of the worst acting I have ever seen in my entire life in those movies. I first watched them in the mid 90's.

1-2-3 are better in acting and CGI of course but they aren't any good either in general.

I like the SW story and the franchise a lot, It's just the acting that disgusts me.

Personal opinion, do not flame.

I'd like to see what someone who grew up with all six movies thinks.

I'm very biased being 30 and growing up with 4,5,6.

That kind of objectivity requires the reviewer to have been under ten years of age when Revenge of the Sith came out in 2005. The folks in that age range are just entering college now. One of those kids must have done a comprehensive review by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jervaise View Post

there are some of the worst acting I have ever seen in my entire life in those movies. I first watched them in the mid 90's.

1-2-3 are better in acting and CGI of course but they aren't any good either in general.

I like the SW story and the franchise a lot, It's just the acting that disgusts me.

5-6-7? Hope you mean 4-5-6. You also have to remember the technology used for those films was nowhere near as advanced as the ones they used for Revenge of the Sith for example.

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/s...hantom-menace/

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/s...of-the-clones/

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/s...e-of-the-sith/
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2012-02-06 at 10:36 PM.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

First lets think about this. When the originals came out, GL had a limited budget and was making what was planned to be a B movie. Seriously, look it up. The closest he had to a name was Alec Guiness, who didn't even want to do the movie and considered it his biggest regret. Other than that, he had Harrison Ford who was not a name yet, but worked with him before.

Now lets look at the prequels. Now he's got super-budget, throws in as many big names as he can, and adds special effects up the wazoo. Too bad he banked the movies on this and decided to forgo good writing.

Outside of that, even WITH the big names, Natalie Portman did a horrendous job acting out a "love" story. Every line she said was basically forced, and she looked like she had no idea what she was saying as she said it. Hayden didn't do much better, but I think a lot of his problems were due to script and directing. In a series known for its bad acting, these two made everything else look like broadway.

---------- Post added 2012-02-06 at 02:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by LonestarHero View Post
    I'd like to see what someone who grew up with all six movies thinks.

I'm very biased being 30 and growing up with 4,5,6.

That kind of objectivity requires the reviewer to have been under ten years of age when Revenge of the Sith came out in 2005. The folks in that age range are just entering college now. One of those kids must have done a comprehensive review by now.
    I've got kids who will grow up like that. I'm going to try to raise them to believe that the prequels were never made and are just bad rumors. But they pick up so much in school.....

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I actually think somewhere between episode 6 and 1 the lightsabers grow more important through comics and the like.
    In 4-6 the lightsaber is used rather rarely, while in 1-3 it's used permanently. Sure, the effects were easier to do, but I do believe that the lightsabers weren't intended to be the "go to" weapon in the first three movies. It seemed more like the weapon for the "oh crap" moments to me.

Anyhow, my perception of the movies hasn't changed because of SWTOR. I loved the first three movies, I liked the "new" three movies (allthough this is probably a lot due to the lightsabers.)

Quote Originally Posted by Shotdabow View Post
    5-6-7? Hope you mean 4-5-6. You also have to remember the technology used for those films was nowhere near as advanced as the ones they used for Revenge of the Sith for example.
    You are missing the point that he is missing.

It doesn't matter what the technology was when the story was as bad as episode1-3.

10+ Year Old Account
    In 4,5,6 you will not see a light saber hit the armor because they usually aimed for the blaster pistol or carbine rifle. My guess is that violence was not nearly as acceptable in a movie as it is today.

The only thing that has really changed from playing SWTOR is I noticed the other day that in Episode III when Anakin is piloting in the beginning of the movie, his starship has a Imperial logo on it. Kinda weird.

Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    In 4,5,6 you will not see a light saber hit the armor because they usually aimed for the blaster pistol or carbine rifle. My guess is that violence was not nearly as acceptable in a movie as it is today.

The only thing that has really changed from playing SWTOR is I noticed the other day that in Episode III when Anakin is piloting in the beginning of the movie, his starship has a Imperial logo on it. Kinda weird.
    In episode 4, Obi Wan severs the arm of the thug hassling Luke in the Cantina. In episode 5 Luke severs the Wampa's arm on Hoth in the cave. Those were with lightsabers.

In episode 6, the Rancor is impaled by the door slamming on him.

I don't buy the "violence was less acceptable" explanation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LonestarHero View Post
    In episode 4, Obi Wan severs the arm of the thug hassling Luke in the Cantina. In episode 5 Luke severs the Wampa's arm on Hoth in the cave. Those were with lightsabers.

In episode 6, the Rancor is impaled by the door slamming on him.

I don't buy the "violence was less acceptable" explanation.
    All 3 were not human? I don't know, I'm just throwing out possibilities.

Also in episode 5 Vader cuts off Luke's hand.

. My guess is that violence was not nearly as acceptable in a movie as it is today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9IscZMYYw0

The 80s would like to speak with you for a moment. Please comply.

(ps: this thread makes my head hurt)

(pps: The 80s was the most violent era in movie history.)
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2012-02-07 at 12:01 AM.

I didn't grow up on 4-5-6, and in my opinion 4 and 5 are very unwatchable for me. In ascending order of what I like best:

4 < 5 < 1 < 2 < 6 < 3

for me personally. the acting in number three almost killed it, but I still enjoyed it over 6.

Deleted
    I like the original ones better than most of the new ones. apart from the 5th one i didnt like that one too much. the first of the prequels (no.1 i guess) was bloody awful. possibly one of the most boring films I ever watched. and jaja binks, wtf is that.
    the prequels got gradually better and better with each new one. no.3 of the prequels was a really great watch.

I dont think the game as changed anything about my perspective of the movies, It just made me glad they based it so far into the past that it didnt really effect the movie stories. people would have just been whinning about stuff not matching the movies. "but in the movie, jaja binks wore a ring on his left index finger and now its not there! wtf is with that!" etc

So basically you prefer Hayden Christensen over Harrison Ford. Yeah, read that out loud without flinching. Shocking; and outrageous!

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jira View Post
    I actually think somewhere between episode 6 and 1 the lightsabers grow more important through comics and the like.
    In 4-6 the lightsaber is used rather rarely, while in 1-3 it's used permanently. Sure, the effects were easier to do, but I do believe that the lightsabers weren't intended to be the "go to" weapon in the first three movies. It seemed more like the weapon for the "oh crap" moments to me.

Anyhow, my perception of the movies hasn't changed because of SWTOR. I loved the first three movies, I liked the "new" three movies (allthough this is probably a lot due to the lightsabers.)
    There were only 3 force users in the originals, well 4, but the emperor didn't use a lightsaber. That's why you didn't see as many.

technically, as stated by lucas, star wars is basically kids/family movies. His #1 target wasn't adults.

my order of preference for the movies, most liked to least liked goes:

5>6>4>>>>>>>>>>>3>2>1

minus jar jar and hayden christensen, the prequels would've been actually good movies... hayden was soooo bad.
    Last edited by greysaber; 2012-02-07 at 12:12 AM.

How funny that you started this thread OP. I did the exact same thing last weekend. Having been born in the early 90s, I remember when Phantom Menace came out and how I didn't really know anything about it but got dragged to the movie 9 times in the space of 3 weeks. I recently rented all the movies on Bluray and watched them all through in episode order.

The first 3 movies I found excellent. The CGI was amazing, and the acting / storyline was compelling.

The last 3 dragged on, I found them rushed and generally unpolished movies. When I saw Yoda for the first time in the 'original' movies I almost cried with disgust. I understand that they are old movies, and actually debated with my GF (who also watched them all with me) over should they remake them. There are absolutely cringe worthy moments (Such as when Han / Leiya land inside the huge worms mouth, and an 'earthquake' starts - they stumble around acting so poorly whilst the camera tilts) that made me not want to watch any more. I pressed on through the movies and at the end felt rather robbed of what could have been a much much better series.

I am 20 now, these are my opinions on what I think about the Starwars movies. Maybe we are spoilt with advanced CGI and life-like acting these days, but it just doesn't cut it these days.

I would love to see IV, V, VI remade in a tasteful manner. But I realize that there are many many many fans for Starwars out there who do not share the same opinion and wouldn't want to see a remake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Go put some pants on.

15+ Year Old Account

Wait, Nathalie Portman and Hayden Christien are better actors than Sir Alec Guinness and Harrison Ford??? LOL

For the record, I saw IV in 1977, V in 1979 and VI in 1983 i.e. when they were released. You can't begin to appreciate the impact IV had. Dads took their sons but they wanted to see the film themselves. Nothing like it had been done before. When the Falcon first goes in to hyperspace there was an audible gasp in the cinema. So forget anything else, in terms of cultural impact it was astonishing and completely consumed us as kids then.
    Last edited by Daedelus; 2012-02-07 at 12:59 AM.

There's another issue with the amount of lightsabers in 4-6 versus 1-3. In addition to a larger number of Jedi being present in 1-3, Order 66 hadn't been implemented yet. The significance of this is that Jedi weren't outlaws in that time frame, so having a lightsaber out was no big deal. Now, let Order 66 hit, and give a few years for -practically every Jedi- to be wiped out. If you're one of the handful left, you're not going to go whipping out your lightsaber in front of ANYTHING that can relay to the Empire that they've seen a Jedi, expecting a large reward as compensation.

Most likely, it probably has something to do with a combination of production restraints, and the fact that the lightsaber hadn't become more important than the spiritual aspect of the Force in the eyes of the public at that point. Make something with beam swords, and let it brew for 20 years, and see what people associate with it. Lightsabers+Death Star=flashiest things, and to most people, the most memorable bits that would be likely to draw them back for more.