Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

Will SWTOR be playable on a Mac any time in the near future?

Just wondering what people's thoughts are and if anyone has read anything. I would like to play, but I am not going to buy a PC (or install windows on my Mac) just to do so.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I seem to remember that they are working on a Mac client. I don't have a link for that off the top of my head, but I seem to remember them saying that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    I seem to remember that they are working on a Mac client. I don't have a link for that off the top of my head, but I seem to remember them saying that.
    I remember hearing the same thing. I don't use apple products, but a guy in our guild is playing through a partition on his mac. Not quite about the specific details of how that works though.

I wouldn't hold my breath. You could google and see if anyone has been getting it to run on Wine. Hopefully if/when Bioware gets out a native client the game will be in a more mature state anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    It's playable now through bootcamp? I think thats what its called. Anyway some guildies of mine use this and it seems to work great for them.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ohnoto View Post
    I remember hearing the same thing. I don't use apple products, but a guy in our guild is playing through a partition on his mac. Not quite about the specific details of how that works though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vexies View Post
    It's playable now through bootcamp? I think thats what its called. Anyway some guildies of mine use this and it seems to work great for them.
    Yeah, bootcamp is the only way to play on a mac right now. I have a Windows system myself, but OldRepublic.net ran a story on it once.

Quote Originally Posted by Acewipe View Post
    Just wondering what people's thoughts are and if anyone has read anything. I would like to play, but I am not going to buy a PC (or install windows on my Mac) just to do so.
    too bad.

I am a Mac user, the second thing I do with each new Mac; after replacing the Apple mouse with a Microsoft one; is load Windows on the machine through Bootcamp. Third thing is to install Parallels, then Office for Mac edition.

frankly, Windows 7 is more stable than Lion, let alone doesn't have stupid new UI elements (and I am a long time Mac user, just not ignorant of what platform does best)
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroWashu View Post
    frankly, Windows 7 is more stable than Lion
    Stable how? I have yet to have any kind of stability issue on Lion on any one of my Macs. Now that I think back, I think the last time I had stability issues with Mac OS X was in the public beta -- my old PowerMac that acts as an svn server and is running some old Mac OS X version has an uptime of years.

10+ Year Old Account
    frankly, Windows 7 is more stable than Lion, let alone doesn't have stupid new UI elements (and I am a long time Mac user, just not ignorant of what platform does best)
    Stable how? I have yet to have any kind of stability issue on Lion on any one of my Macs. Now that I think back, I think the last time I had stability issues with Mac OS X was in the public beta -- my old PowerMac that acts as an svn server and is running some old Mac OS X version has an uptime of years.
    Let's not turn this into a Windows vs. Mac vs. Lion vs. whatever thread. Let's keep it on track alright?
    Last edited by Ragnarocket; 2012-02-07 at 04:23 PM.
    “The rains have ceased, and we have been graced with another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it.”

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acewipe View Post
    So you acknowledge that there's a way to play it, but you're not willing to do it?

You realize everything about your computer is a "PC" except the operating system, right? You've got the same Intel architecture I do. Seems silly to me.

To each his own, I guess. I'll be over here playing TOR while you wait around for a Mac client.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

10+ Year Old Account
    From what I understand SWTOR does very well under bootcamp. Id give that a shot as chances are when a Mac client is available they wont make you rebuy the game, it will be available to current active sub's via download.

Quote Originally Posted by Profyrion View Post
    So you acknowledge that there's a way to play it, but you're not willing to do it?
    There are many valid reasons for not wanting a Windows partition on your Mac. I don't want to maintain two operating systems, especially when Windows requires so much more work to run securely -- one of the reasons I use Macs is that I don't need to worry about so many things. I don't want to sacrifice a bunch of disk space just to run a single game. I don't want to have to reboot to another OS when all my other tools and applications are already setup on Mac OS X. And I want to support companies that actually develop their games natively for Macs.

Oh, and you need to buy Windows if you want to run it on a Mac. Just checking the prices here it would cost me about $200 for Windows 7 "Home Premium", whatever that means.
    Last edited by Brett Skullcrack; 2012-02-07 at 04:35 PM.

franky, you mac uses that want to run Swtor natively on a OSX u should abandon your hopes.

several reasons:

- The game have to be ported to OpenGL 1st, directX part of the game is still a mess alone let alone OpenGL.
    - Tecnicaly Bioware its a awfull company, I dont think Bioware can atm keep 2 render paths, again they barely keeping directX stable enough.
    - Heroengine or what remains of it wasnt made from the groundup to allow opengl, WOW was, build with DX and oGL in mind infact when WOW was made bootcamp was a dream since most Macs used PowerPC CPUs so a mac client had to be made.
    - Mac users can just run Windows natively via Bootcamp so isnt like they are locked out of the game.

Face it financialy makes no sence to do it, MAC users if they really want have a option to run the game and Bioware have enough work on they hands to part with human resources to let that happen.

Most MMO game never see a MAC port, WOW is kinda special Blizzard always had a special relation with Apple and MACs, All they games were ported to mac either close to PC release or even at the same date

The only way SWTOR comes natively for OSX is if Bioware outsources it, there is alot of companies that work in porting windows games, but a MMO its a diferent beast all together.
    Last edited by Hellfury; 2012-02-07 at 04:43 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. I do realize that it is a "PC" apart from running windows. I am just unwilling to purchase a copy of windows and go through the hassle of installing it merely to be able to play a game.

Anyway, thanks for the info everyone, looks like I am in for a long wait.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Found the link on the story about a Mac OS client being a possibility

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01...-is-something/

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Skullcrack View Post
    There are many valid reasons for not wanting a Windows partition on your Mac. I don't want to maintain two operating systems, especially when Windows requires so much more work to run securely -- one of the reasons I use Macs is that I don't need to worry about so many things. I don't want to sacrifice a bunch of disk space just to run a single game. I don't want to have to reboot to another OS when all my other tools and applications are already setup on Mac OS X. And I want to support companies that actually develop their games natively for Macs.

Oh, and you need to buy Windows if you want to run it on a Mac. Just checking the prices here it would cost me about $200 for Windows 7 "Home Premium", whatever that means.
    Not sure what country you're in.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116986

$100 US for the OEM version.

Not sure how it's any more work to "run securely". We're trying not to turn this into an OSX vs Windows thread...
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by ohnoto View Post
    it's called Bootcamp it's built in to the mac OS it partitions your hard drive and allows you to install Windows on that part you can then download Windows programs to it as if it were a PC I have it on mine but rarely use it as all my programming programs I am using this semester work on a mac.

---------- Post added 2012-02-07 at 05:09 PM ----------

How is Lion I still am using OS-X and figured I would wait a while to make sure all the bugs were weeded out. Is there a legit reason to upgrade OS-x to lion? Not trying to derail the thread just curious.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are many valid reasons for not wanting a Windows partition on your Mac. I don't want to maintain two operating systems, especially when Windows requires so much more work to run securely -- one of the reasons I use Macs is that I don't need to worry about so many things.
    Please for the love of god do not be one of those guys.... This happens almost every year at defcon btw

http://www.macworld.com/article/1327...8/03/hack.html

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly should just close this thread here and now. It's not gonna lead anywhere productive. Besides, the OPs question has been answered.

I have bootcamp installed on my Mac and SWTOR runs well with everything at high quality settings. It's a MacBook Pro quad-core 2.2Ghz i7 with ATI 6750 1GB graphics and 8GB RAM. Windows can't write to your Mac OS X partition, it doesn't support the filing system - so no worries regarding Windows viruses or whatever compromising your main Mac partition.

I'd say just get the game running in Bootcamp, cause even if there is a Mac client in the works it will be a while. Get a Windows 7 64bit installer, do the 3-click installation of Bootcamp and enjoy the game.

---------- Post added 2012-02-07 at 05:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    How is Lion I still am using OS-X and figured I would wait a while to make sure all the bugs were weeded out. Is there a legit reason to upgrade OS-x to lion? Not trying to derail the thread just curious.
    Lion is great, it came with upgraded graphics drivers so all your 3D games will run a bit better. The engineers at Valve (Portal, Half Life, etc) worked with Apple to get the 3D drivers better for Lion. Unless you are running really old software that is PowerPC native or that doesn't work in Lion, I would definitely make the switch.

I'm a computer programmer and was happy to see all the open source software development tools updated in Lion. No more fighting with Python to get the Postgres connector working or anything like that, it's all really solid.