Heroic Ultraxion Help

UPDATED @ post #7 with relevant information, thanks!

Hello everyone, we started on our first night of Hc Ultraxion yesterday in my casual raid group, and i'm just looking for some tips to help our healers, the druid in particular. With our DPS we should be able to kill the boss in time, but we aren't getting past 3 minutes before our healers get overrun. We tried Druid + Disc in this log, but we'll probably switch to shaman/disc tomorrow. We had the priest take red and the druid take green+blue (I'm wondering if the druid should take red instead).

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/n...pes&boss=55294

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by StupidPanda; 2012-02-17 at 10:16 AM.

Deleted
    I play Pally so I'm of limited help here but I do know red is the best for druids because Efflorescence double dips into it. On that note blue is pretty damn good for Disc priests, so you should definitely do druid-red and priest-green+blue.

If taking a shaman then any setup will work, I think Shamans are good with all 3 colors.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenGage View Post
    I play Pally so I'm of limited help here but I do know red is the best for druids because Efflorescence double dips into it. On that note blue is pretty damn good for Disc priests, so you should definitely do druid-red and priest-green+blue.

If taking a shaman then any setup will work, I think Shamans are good with all 3 colors.
    Okay thank you, i'll have to tell my RL that, he insisted that the priest bubble would be double if he took red >_>

Yes, thank you for finding these. I was hoping to get some specific healing help from healers for our druid and priest healers here however. I understand the mechanics of the fight and have a soaking order set up already.

10+ Year Old Account
    Red is good for everyone. And it's the only viable choice to give to a druid.
    Green is particularly good for shamans and holy priests and it's also your choice for a paladin before he gets blue. Green is nearly useless for druids.
    Blue is amazing for paladins, good for everyone else... but horrible for druids.

Priest shields aren't affected by red, however the Aegis is affected.
    Giving the priest red is not wrong per se, it just sucks when you're leaving a druid to pick between green and blue... two colours that he's not really doing well with.
    Shamy/priest, no problem, give the priest red and the shamy green. Blue.. no idea who should take it. Probably the priest.
    Druid/priest. Druid red, priest rest.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by StupidPanda View Post
    Okay thank you, i'll have to tell my RL that, he insisted that the priest bubble would be double if he took red >_>

Yes, thank you for finding these. I was hoping to get some specific healing help from healers for our druid and priest healers here however. I understand the mechanics of the fight and have a soaking order set up already.
    If you had read them, you wouldn't ask what crystal for what healer, cause it says in those links, multiple times...
    Part of the mechanics IS the healer crystals...just sayin ^^

Deleted
    Give your druid red, like someone else said it double dips Efflorescence and will be a big part of his healing.

It's kinda hard to say when the tries are so short, but he really needs to improve his uptime on Lifebloom, it's way too low. His Harmony uptime is also too low, both of these should have as close to 100% uptime as possible. Several times he didn't Innervate himself either, and at all those 1:45'ish tries he should most likely have used it, unless he is spending way too little mana and hovering around 90%, but that seems unlikely, since he is also using clearly more Regrowths than what he got Clearcasting procs (less uptime on Lifebloom - less Clearcasting procs) which could result in his mana being drained.

Tranquility isn't really needed early in the fight, the damage is so light. But if you're aiming for a kill time around 5:30 (being quite generous with time), he will want to make sure to use it with Nature's grace procced, late in the fight. Tree form can be used quite early before red spawns, and then again depending on how long you think it's going to take for the boss to go down, either when it's off cooldown or save it for late in the fight. He want to make sure to get max usage of Barkskin and Nature's grace, don't waste either of these by using them right before an hour so several seconds is spent being stunned. US armory is unavalible to me so I can't check his armory.

But how are your healers getting overrun? Is the raid damage unhealable for them? Are they out of mana? Most of the wipes seems to be to tank deaths. Ultraxion isn't one of the hard hitting bosses, are they simply not being healed?

Hi again, and sorry to bump an old topic, but had some additional questions that I was hoping could get answered.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/f...?s=3553&e=3872

We got about 10 more attempts in this week so far, and it's looking pretty good. We got the boss to ~10% with 50 seconds left to spare on that ^ attempt (we had a death and a combat rez happen during hero at the end, which hurt us significantly), but i'm just looking for things that can help us. Obviously a couple of our DPSers are quite low (but I run a casual group that only raids like 5 hours a week,so can't expect near-simcraft numbers from everyone). I was mainly wondering about the tanks - they seem to be getting hit VERY hard at certain times (our paladin was 2-shotted by ultraxion melee at one point). We're simply tank-swapping right when fading light is applied to the other tank.
    [22:56:50.175] Ultraxion Twilight Instability Cybersox 38000
    [22:56:56.920] Ultraxion hits Cybersox 140499 (B: 60214)
    [22:56:59.281] Ultraxion hits Cybersox 122406 (O: 23155, B: 62383
    I've been asking them to reforge to hit cap and put dps trinkets on, but if they're getting hit this hard it doesn't make much sense. Are tanks from other groups having this problem as well?

Currently our shaman takes green and blue, and our resto druid takes red. We hero at timeloop (someone in the raid said that the hero while healers are out trick didn't work anymore so we didn't try it)

edit: also, we had a fire mage try to take 2 HoTs in a row, which i was under the impression worked: I thought he could ice block the first one and cauterize the second without problem, but he ended up dying anyway.
    Last edited by StupidPanda; 2012-02-17 at 10:45 AM.

Deleted
    Tanks should have a really high uptime on their cooldowns, some can really chain them and have always something up. Do it.

That said, this is not what has happened to you:
    [22:56:59.342] Unknown's Faded Into Twilight fades from Cybersox
    In Heroic Difficulty, players take 100% more Physical damage for 5 sec, instead of generating no threat.
    When you get back from the debuff, you gain another debuff (looking like fade) that will increase your damage taken bei 100% for 5 seconds.
    So do *not* taunt immediately instead try to taunt as late as possible to not see these huge hits and you will be fine.

edit: you cant survive a 2nd HoT with a debuff no matter what you do. dont try it.
    Last edited by mmoc09207c29b6; 2012-02-17 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tasi View Post
    you cant survive a 2nd HoT with a debuff no matter what you do. dont try it.
    Argent Defender?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudor View Post
    Argent Defender?
    Nothing will save you when you have Looming Darkness on you. No amount of immunities. You will simply die if you take another Hour while still being debuffed by the previous one. You can't resist it, you can't mitigate it, you can just die to it. Because that's what Looming Darkness does. Instakill mechanic.

The hero trick does still work, did it last night

Hero does work, we do it on our kills, here is what you do have your tank count down from 5, healers phase out at 2 lust literally the second the tank pulls. This allows you to pop lust for the healers when they want it. Those hits are the tank taunting too early and having the debuff that causes them to take more damage after fading out. What you should do is find where you are falling behind healing wise, and then lust 20 seconds earlier for the healers. Starting 5 seconds after lust start using raid cooldowns. While to many this may seem counter intuitive but it really isn't, having lust for the healers and raid wide cds rolling will keep you from falling behind when you normally do and thus extend the fight. This is a common mistake I see

Quote Originally Posted by StupidPanda View Post
    I was mainly wondering about the tanks - they seem to be getting hit VERY hard at certain times (our paladin was 2-shotted by ultraxion melee at one point). We're simply tank-swapping right when fading light is applied to the other tank.
    Fading Light applies a debuff that increases physical damage taken by 100% for 5 seconds.
    Don't taunt immediately when the other tank gets fading light, wait until the debuff falls off or right before the other tank has to go in if it's a short timer
    Last edited by bals; 2012-02-17 at 04:06 PM.

Deleted
    You might possibly start hating me for this, but i made this short 3 picture guide for some friends.
    http://i.imgur.com/KeNhi.png
    http://i.imgur.com/xI8xQ.png
    http://i.imgur.com/CvmgW.png

Ok, only trolling. Try the hero trick, have your healers use heroic will in the start of the fight. Pop heroism for the DPS, and have another mage/shammy pop heroism when the healers need it.
    I know some groups have killed it with a DK tank wearing DPS gear, but you mentioned tank damage being awfully high, so you might take a look at spreading the CD's out, like someone already pointed out.
    Some of your dipps should be pulling higher numbers, but i guess 99% of people here have already told you that. Such a standard response.
    Uhm. Bang your heads at it for a little while longer, and it should die.

Go back to normal modes until your dps can do 40k.

The heroism thing does work , let your healers go into the twilight realm just before you pull , then someone outside uses heroism , so your healers dont get the debuff , and then in the timeloop they can have heroism. Also , get your tanks to chain cd. Also , im not sure if the mage can do 2 HoT´s in a row with that talent.

FWIW we just killed him last night after like.. an hour and a half of attempts (and our kill was at 5:11 so right at the very end - our best attempt previous was 8% as we got to 5:30 and after that damage spikes were way too high). Our setup was:

Tanks: Me (Prot Warr), Bear
    Healers: Holy Pally, Resto Shaman
    DPS: Feral Druid (normally Resto), MM Hunter, Arcane Mage (normally fire), Unholy DK, Frost DK, Shadow Priest w/Legendary

I don't 100% remember the soak order but at first it was: 1st: Bear/Frost DK, 2nd: Me/Unholy DK, 3rd: Spriest/HPally (bubble + disp), and then I forget I think the bear and DK had the debuff wear off, but we did have some minor issues. It took us about 12 pulls to kill him (we took a short break after the 8th attempt I believe). We did the heroism trick as well. We had our Resto Druid go DPS because we found the HoTs weren't good in keeping people alive since Ultrax has a lot of burst damage.

Here is the log of the kill for reference
    Last edited by Nobleshield; 2012-02-19 at 01:23 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunz View Post
    Go back to normal modes until your dps can do 40k.
    Ignore this guy.

Your tanks are doing aweful dps (seriously, a DK at 13k is just bad <.<). He never used Dancing Rune Weapon.

That being said, you still need about 240k dps to kill it before 5.30 (where people will start to die). Only way to survive past this is to chain raidcooldowns (spiritlink, tree of life-tranq, divine guardian, rallying cry and if the DK has his 4set: Vamp blood).

So you're about 20k dps short. Just work at it, you need about 34k average from each dps and 17k+ on each tank (but whoever's maintanking this should be alot higher - I would accept the second tank that doesnt tank for the first minute or so to be at around 17k+).