Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    I'm just glad not to be a Pandaren Monk...
    Word. :>

/10

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Balfire View Post
    You can also add makeshift titles this way
    Horo the Blind
    Minion the Tracker
    The only problem i can see with giving titles within your actual name is: in -game titles?

Firstly can we get titles in-game?

If so... lets take for example the first 10 titles listed on wowhead.com/titles and replace <name> with "Minion the Tracker"

Minion the Tracker of the Alliance
    Ambassador Minion the Tracker
    Arena Master Minion the Tracker
    Minion the Tracker the Argent Champion
    Minion the Tracker the Argent Defender
    Minion the Tracker of the Ashen Verdict
    Assistant Professor Minion the Tracker
    Associate Professor Minion the Tracker
    Minion the Tracker the Astral Walker
    While most of them sound ok, some sound awkward (highlighted), which means if you used a title in your name it may not be appropiate to use all available titles. Thoughts?
    Last edited by mmoc7e26181ef6; 2012-02-08 at 12:45 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurie View Post
    Thoughts?
    The titles in GW2 will be displayed underneath the name.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nektar View Post
    The titles in GW2 will be displayed underneath the name.
    Ahhh, not that it matters to me. I can't think of any good names that would use a self-proclaimed title that i feel i would be happy to keep forever, or can we have micro-transaction name changes? I'm guessing so since GW allowed it.
    Last edited by mmoc7e26181ef6; 2012-02-08 at 12:55 PM.

Hang on a tic, maybe I missed something along the way (not hard to imagine!).

Do I understand that all existing names in GW1 will be automatically reserved (for my account) in GW2, even if I (shock, horror) didn't get GW2 immediately (which I may be delayed by a day being overseas)? Or will the names just be reserved, and someone else could feasibly roll a toon with the same name as I currently have?

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Man View Post

Do I understand that all existing names in GW1 will be automatically reserved (for my account) in GW2, even if I (shock, horror) didn't get GW2 immediately (which I may be delayed by a day being overseas)? Or will the names just be reserved, and someone else could feasibly roll a toon with the same name as I currently have?
    I'd like some solid proof on this, actually.
    I've heard people mention it plenty, but I'm not 100% sure if it's just a rumor or what, as I haven't seen anything official.
    Not that I have any names worth saving, and I prefer 1 word names either way.. but still.

How to
    According to Guild Wars 2 developers, you will have the option of "Declaring your ancestor" to receive the Hall of Monuments rewards by linking your Guild Wars 2 game account with one Guild Wars game account.[2]
    You will be able to link a single Guild Wars game account to your Guild Wars 2 game account by using a Guild Wars 2 in-game item.
    After using the item, you will visit the Guild Wars 2 version of the Hall of Monuments, where you can claim your rewards.
    This Hall of Monuments can be visited by any Guild Wars 2 character and as often as you like.

Features
    Players who choose to link their Guild Wars accounts to their Guild Wars 2 accounts will have their character names from Guild Wars reserved for the linked account. Additionally, players reaching a high enough rank in their Hall of Monuments will unlock exclusive rewards, including titles, companions, armor, weapons and miniature pets:
    The bonuses are not intended to confer a significant advantage for original Guild Wars players over those new to the Guild Wars games.
    Rewards are unlocked on an account basis, even though each character has their own Hall of Monuments.
    You can use the Hall of Monuments Reward Calculator to determine which rewards would be unlocked if you choose to link your accounts.
    These bonuses are expected to be available to any Guild Wars 2 account linked to a Guild Wars account that is created before the release of GW2.[3]
    Accomplishments dedicated in the original Guild Wars Hall of Monuments will continue to update your Guild Wars 2 account even after Guild Wars 2's release.
    ArenaNet has not stated whether this also means that the bonuses will also be available to Guild Wars 1 accounts created after the release, but before the creation of a linked Guild Wars 2 account.
    Quoted from the Wiki.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurie View Post
    The only problem i can see with giving titles within your actual name is: in -game titles?

Firstly can we get titles in-game?

If so... lets take for example the first 10 titles listed on wowhead.com/titles and replace <name> with "Minion the Tracker"

While most of them sound ok, some sound awkward (highlighted), which means if you used a title in your name it may not be appropiate to use all available titles. Thoughts?
    I agree but titles in GW weren't usually the same as WoWs they appeared under the name in a different format. So it would be more like this,
    Minion the Tracker,
    Legendary Defender of Ascalon

Horo the Blind,
    God Walking Among Mere Mortals

Minion the Tracker,
    Savior of the Luxons

Horo the Blind,
    Defender of the Kurzicks

But even with this, I prefer no titles in my original name, but someone might like the idea so I posted it in hopes of helping someone else who spends hours naming and creating a backstory for there characters even though they don't roleplay hardly at all :S. Minion was based of a novel series I loved as a kid so the tracker was to identify with that more.
    Last edited by Balfire; 2012-02-08 at 02:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Man View Post

We know you can reserve them, whether or not it's automatic we don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    Quoted from the Wiki.
    Thank you sir. You would, obviously, need a GW2 account for this to work though.. (doesn't seem to be worded to be done automatically through NCsoft)
    Doesn't that mean you'd have to purchase the game, first?
    So.. realistically, if someone buys and installs the game before you get a chance to buy it, it seems you would still be SoL.. no?

Quoted from the Wiki.
    So you'd have to rush to the HoM to reserve your names from GW1? Just hope I can get GW2 at a decent time overseas then and people don't use my lovely names before hand.
    Would love a digital version of activating HoM upon install. Although that might take away from some ingame feature they propose.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    So you'd have to rush to the HoM to reserve your names from GW1? Just hope I can get GW2 at a decent time overseas then and people don't use my lovely names before hand.
    Would love a digital version of activating HoM upon install. Although that might take away from some ingame feature they propose.
    I honestly think HoM will be an easy access area, nothing to rush for.

I honestly think HoM will be an easy access area, nothing to rush for.
    But if the only way to reserve your names is to make a char, get ingame, and get to the HoM.. it defeats the purpose, no? :P
    Maybe it's just 'claiming' the HoM in name, and is actually a website 'click here to link' thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    But if the only way to reserve your names is to make a char, get ingame, and get to the HoM.. it defeats the purpose, no? :P
    Maybe it's just 'claiming' the HoM in name, and is actually a website 'click here to link' thing.
    I hope so...because unless there's a digitial download I'll prob be waiting for a few days for the game. /sadface.

Oh boy, reading "last names" is gonna get old....

Kinda looking forward to making fun of people with long dramatic surnames however.

Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    Oh boy, reading "last names" is gonna get old....

Kinda looking forward to making fun of people with long dramatic surnames however.
    Why make fun? This is a fantasy RPG isn't it? Where we are to be among the heros of Tyria? Over exaggerated names are all part of being a fictional bad ass look at super heros. And last names don't really effect anything unless multiple people in your party/guild share the same first name, just like real life.

Most of my GW1 career people just called me Horo or Sera or River. Not "Hey Horo the Blind" or "Hey River Rainblossom!" I for one will greatly enjoy the creative combinations people come up with and reading the more creative back-stories.

I will be making fun of XXXNumbaOnePwnXXX and names like it. I don't get how people find amusement in recreating a name already taken or one with some nonsensical internet slang. Which is why I'm extremely excited they won't be allowing accents in the North American region.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree but titles in GW weren't usually the same as WoWs they appeared under the name in a different format. So it would be more like this,
    Minion the Tracker,
    Legendary Defender of Ascalon

Horo the Blind,
    God Walking Among Mere Mortals

Minion the Tracker,
    Savior of the Luxons

Horo the Blind,
    Defender of the Kurzicks

But even with this, I prefer no titles in my original name, but someone might like the idea so I posted it in hopes of helping someone else who spends hours naming and creating a backstory for there characters even though they don't roleplay hardly at all :S. Minion was based of a novel series I loved as a kid so the tracker was to identify with that more.
    That will actually work? So I can name my Warrior, Korgoth of Barbaria, that is awesome.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    That will actually work? So I can name my Warrior, Korgoth of Barbaria, that is awesome.
    At present, every letter after a space will be capitalized, such that your name would actually be "Korgoth Of Barbaria" (but that's a pretty minor point). The larger point is that yes, you can name your character in this manner

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freehoof View Post
    At present, every letter after a space will be capitalized, such that your name would actually be "Korgoth Of Barbaria" (but that's a pretty minor point). The larger point is that yes, you can name your character in this manner
    Right on the 19 character limit too

Why make fun? This is a fantasy RPG isn't it? Where we are to be among the heros of Tyria? Over exaggerated names are all part of being a fictional bad ass look at super heros. And last names don't really effect anything unless multiple people in your party/guild share the same first name, just like real life.

Most of my GW1 career people just called me Horo or Sera or River. Not "Hey Horo the Blind" or "Hey River Rainblossom!" I for one will greatly enjoy the creative combinations people come up with and reading the more creative back-stories.

I will be making fun of XXXNumbaOnePwnXXX and names like it. I don't get how people find amusement in recreating a name already taken or one with some nonsensical internet slang. Which is why I'm extremely excited they won't be allowing accents in the North American region.
    Your words, my mouth, exactly.