Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Planetary re-origination

We need algalon

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    http://www.southparkstudios.com/full...0e12-go-god-go

Removing religion doesn't fix the problem, it just changes the nature of the problem. I wish I could find the quote about how science itself could become like a religion, all it takes is people picking and choosing the science they believe in.

Not free thought, just free expression.
    You can't pick and choose what science you believe in. That makes it not science. That makes it beliefs. You can't choose to believe in things that have been empirically proven beyond reasonable doubt. Anything else is a theory and doesn't require you to believe in it, only accept it as a possibility.

Deleted
    just 1 step?

advance our technology about 500years into the future over night. might not save the world, but would be cool to see what we invent.

Quote Originally Posted by Casa View Post
    If I could understand how your infantile brain functions I might just be able to fix the worlds problems alone.
    Doubtful. Oh yeah if you do figure out about how my infantile brain works clue me in too =D

Quote Originally Posted by nameuser View Post
    Planetary re-origination

We need algalon
    This would permanently solve it.

But here's some things that would probably need to happen to achieve it.

-get rid of money
    -get rid of religion
    -one world government

The last one is the only realistic one of ever happening anytime soon and it's the least effective in solving the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    You misunderstand me. I don't mean to ban "free thought", people are free to believe whatever the hell they want, but they can do so PRIVATELY.

Using religion to "justify" certain actions or thoughts or morals in public.... THAT'S what I want banned. Because it has never led to anything good.
    Except a lot of people, because of religion, refrain from things like selfishness, greed, murder, theft, and other such things which harm our fellow man. Sure, there are some religions that have caused wars. And you can't blanket label things like Christianity or Islam, since there's so many different sub-groups that differ so greatly in opinion that we can't judge a whole group by their actions.

Looking past the actions of various sub groups and extremists, many religions really do preach ideas that better society.

Religions may preach those ideals, but certainly don't deserve credit for them. See social contract.

Do people really need religion to tell them not to kill or steal? A person's morality is not dictated by their religion, it's dictated by their society. I think you give religions way more credit than they deserve.

Wait why do people think its about drug mushrooms, i thought he was talking about normal edible muchrooms like portabello or shitake.

Either way I don't really see a point.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    Religions may preach those ideals, but certainly don't deserve credit for them. See social contract.

Do people really need religion to tell them not to kill or steal? A person's morality is not dictated by their religion, it's dictated by their society. I think you give religions way more credit than they deserve.
    And a majority of what our society believes was founded upon ideals derived from religion-- not necessarily Christian morals alone.

As for outlawing religion... The ancient Romans tried to outlaw Christianity by persecuting its practitioners. Roughly 300 years later, Constantine takes the throne and look what happened.

Outlawing religion follows the exact same vein of forcing everyone to follow the same religion... a very strange thing for atheists to tout.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Wait why do people think its about drug mushrooms, i thought he was talking about normal edible muchrooms like portabello or shitake.

Either way I don't really see a point.
    Nah, I'm pretty sure he meant the super mushrooms from Mario.

10+ Year Old Account
    Call me crazy, but isn't promoting the use of drugs against the rules on MMO-champ?
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Quote Originally Posted by bobo333 View Post
    simple game. which one change will save the world and why.

for me, i think mandatory mushrooms. every person should get a handful of mushies for thier 18th birthday, and they'd have to eat them.

benefits? empathy, tolerance, respect for nature on every level, and maybe the ultimate goal, the ability to think independantly. all from an early age
    Joe Rogan? Duncan? Is that you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44Mtl...eature=related

I was hoping for 1-Up mushrooms, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Outlawing religion follows the exact same vein of forcing everyone to follow the same religion... a very strange thing for atheists to tout.
    And this. People who scream about the evils of religion and decry any form of religious opinion (except, of course, their own) are ... religious fanatics, and this includes a disturbing number of atheists. Just goes to demonstrate that no matter what and why you believe, you can still be bigoted, short-sighted, and narrow-minded enough to look through a keyhole using both eyes. Oh yes, you know the type. Each side accuses the other of being it. The hypocrisy is astonishing.

I wish I could find the quote about how science itself could become like a religion, all it takes is people picking and choosing the science they believe in.

And this. Any form of knowledge risks decaying into dogma when people stop to question what they know, how they learned it, and what it represents. There is no functional difference between "a scientist said so" and "an antiquated manuscript said so" if the person citing it as authority fails to understand why. People have convinced themselves that science and religion are fundamentally opposed when in fact they are brothers in knowledge and learning, companions in wisdom and understanding, both necessary and indispensable to illuminating the human mind. The theologian and the scientist search together for truth, and yet the respective fanclubs adamantly refuse to accept it.

A bit more on-topic: Take away any and all free will. Congratulations, you have now saved the world and created a pristine paradise with no wars, no hunger, no epidemics, no hatreds and no fear. And made life an unbearable agony.

10+ Year Old Account
    i would eradicate the human race

then gaia can maybe attempt to restore herself >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post

Sometimes, yeah, they do need religion. They need morals. They need a reason to care about someone other than themselves. There's no real incentive to do so. For example, a lady is a heroin addict. She sucks up welfare and food stamps and in an all around leech on society, giving nothing in return.

For the greater benefit of society, it'd be better if we just killed her. But my morals, based on a religion, would tell me that I shouldn't do that. There's no non-religious reason to value her life. Faith can even drive a person to sacrifice their own life to save a stranger, something that is very uncommon without said faith.

Let's just say I believe the benefits of religion far outweigh the problems. I will agree that we shouldn't be killing each other over religions.

If it has to be a drug...Extacy, makes everyone all nice and loving. Why start a war when you can rave?

Drop Bass
    Not Bombs!

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey darlings.

Discussing religion is not something we do here at MMO-C, as it tends to be a very volatile topic.

Thanks for keeping it as civil as it has been, but discussing religion is not really appropriate for these forums.

I'm going to leave the thread open for now, but if the religion topic continues, I'll probably close it, sorry!
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

10+ Year Old Account
    One step to save the world is to leave it when possible or to die off as a species.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristeia View Post
    Teaching kids how to genuinely think critically, that would just about change everything. I can't believe I didn't really learn how to until I was like 18 through stuff like YOUTUBE (ok college did help) of all places. Before that it's not like I didn't think well, it was just much rougher.
    I agree with this, people having open minds is very important. It can lead to empathy, cooperation and great discoveries.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone will be forced to follow the ideas of freedom and truth.

Its pretty controversial, but I think we need to build additional pylons around the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Did you ever read Brave New World? Not exactly the planet I'd like to live on. It also nicely ties in the drug thing the OP was talking about.
    Love that book! But a getting rid of religion is hardly the first step to such a dystopian future.

My step? Get rid off all the hate. It's ok not to like things, but people seem to really get extreme if someone does not agree with them.