Page 33 of 41 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    If you look at the Activision-Blizzard page, you will see that Activision-Blizzard was formerly Activision. VG was not merged as an equal with Activision -- it was merged INTO Activision, which was then renamed to Activision-Blizzard. The resulting entity is legally the same corporation as Activision, just renamed. It was not a symmetrical arrangement.
    absolutely not, you have no clue and you are wrong. vivendi has the majority of the stocks in activision-blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    There's what, 10 million active subs now? All paying a monthly fee. How many games from 2004 can say that?

Yeah, I'm putting my money on they're going to be okay.
    Unfortunately, over half of those 10 million do not pay a monthly fee. They do not buy boxes, neither classic nor expansion, either.

They do pay netease roughly 6 cents an hour to play wow, however. blizzard seems to get roughly 3 cents of this.

---------- Post added 2012-02-09 at 03:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gniral View Post
    absolutely not, you have no clue and you are wrong. vivendi has the majority of the stocks in activision-blizzard.
    it is a reverse merger into the existing publicly traded structure of activition. osmeric is well aware of this.

The old activision mgmt team runs the company, most notably. Not the old vivendi games mgmt team.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conceit2 View Post
    1. There are multiple factors causing the the decline. Don't just look at yourself. Just because you left for reason X, it does NOT imply all 1.1m subs left because of X, too.
    3. The decline was mainly in Asia.
    Where do you come up with only 1.1 million? 300k+600k+800k = 1.7 mil, and "most of" the 800k subs was in China.... please get your facts straight.

---------- Post added 2012-02-09 at 03:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    Unfortunately, over half of those 10 million do not pay a monthly fee. They do not buy boxes, neither classic nor expansion, either.

They do pay netease roughly 6 cents an hour to play wow, however. blizzard seems to get roughly 3 cents of this.
    Where did you even hear this? Does this have to do with players from other countries? I think I heard something about them paying in different ways, but I know here in the US every WoW player pays *at least* about $11 a month, ranging all the way up to $14.99..... save the tax. ;p
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted

The old activision mgmt team runs the company, most notably. Not the old vivendi games mgmt team.
    part of the board of directors is from activision and part from the old vivendi structure. the ceo is from activision but the chairman and the property is still in vivendi's hands so for blizzard nothing as changed actually.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    If you look at the Activision-Blizzard page, you will see that Activision-Blizzard was formerly Activision. VG was not merged as an equal with Activision -- it was merged INTO Activision, which was then renamed to Activision-Blizzard. The resulting entity is legally the same corporation as Activision, just renamed. It was not a symmetrical arrangement.
    Activision-Blizzard is a division of Vivendi (Vivendi is a huge umbrella holdings corporation, much larger than Activision-Blizzard). If you want to make sense of this, Vivendi is GM, and Activision-Blizzard is Buick.

Vivendi is so huge, they can literally eliminate Activision-Blizzard and move on and just swallow the loss. Like Sony can do with PS3.
    Last edited by Kevyne-Shandris; 2012-02-09 at 04:02 PM.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Bobby reports to Jean-Bernard Lévy, CEO of Vivendi and chairman of Acti-Blizz. Ultimately the guy who decides how Blizzard is run is still the same guy who was in charge before they absorbed Activision. The other Vivendi studios such as Sierra have all had major changes after the merge, but that is because they were all competing in the console market where Activision has greater expertise. So far as the PC and on-line market go, I reckon Blizzard have had a much bigger influence on Activision's activities than the other way around.
    nah, he reports to the board of AB. the board reports to vivendi holdings.

Quote Originally Posted by dryankem View Post
    Blizzard has to cater to new players or WOW is dead. Even dedicated people are going to get bored eventually and leave for one reason or another. If they only catered to the elite then eventually there would be no one left playing the game (therefore no revenue, therefore no game).
    New players are the majority by far now. I hardly know anyone anymore on my day 1 retail realm that I have played on for over 7 years.

I always find it hilarious when people quit and everyone says "CYA IN A MONTH!", probably because of the 20-30 people I played with extremely regularly for years, 2 of us are left. Everyone else has perma quit, including all my rl buddies who used to play wow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bcbully View Post
    Investors need to hope that Bobby Kotick selling 45% of his Acti-Blizz shares is not a harbinger of things to come.

/discuss

Wow, if he really did sell half of his stocks that's a horrible, frightening sign...

You usually see stuff like that when there is no hope for a company.

10+ Year Old Account
    well, that game already lost 300k players from launch, and that only looking to band-aid numbers made up by EA to try to hide the hemorrage.

on topic i expect a slight decrease, as always near the end of an expansion.
    Because losing 300k from 2.3million~ is an absolute disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by bcbully View Post
    +700k since launch 5 weeks ago. How you can attempt to spin that to a negative i don't know. Hell it's the only mmo gaining subs. But you say dying. Ok. You don't have to like WoW or SWTOR or RIFT, but for the sake of discussion be sincere in your argument.
    It's too early to say SWTOR is dying. The meaninful numbers will come with EA's next quarterly report, where we find out how well they've managed to retain subscribers and gain new ones. The problem I see with SWTOR (and don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying it) is that it is absolutely primitive compared to WoW. Just small things like being able to resize the UI make a big difference or having simple macros can make a huge difference for someone's gameplay. Bioware needs to put a lot of polish on SWTOR and do it quick, otherwise, they could be in for a rude surprise when MoP is released. YMMV, of course.

If the numbers are going up, they're in good shape. If the numbers are going down, that's very bad news for them. If the numbers remain stagnant, it's probably not good either, but it depends on whether they're retaining subscribers or people are leaving, replaced with new ones.
    Last edited by Lord Blackmore; 2012-02-09 at 04:17 PM.
    Stating an opinion as fact does not make it fact. Opinions are not fact. So don't be stupid and make a fool of yourself by trying to pass off your opinion as fact.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascend View Post
    Because losing 300k from 2.3million~ is an absolute disaster.
    2.3 millions? lol random numbers ftw.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoneseek View Post
    New players are the majority by far now. I hardly know anyone anymore on my day 1 retail realm that I have played on for over 7 years.
    Nope.

MMOs share the same player base pools. What you're seeing is players transferring too and from different servers.

Just like last night in trade, someone claiming they're new to the server looking for a guild @ 85 (bet folks were asking him, "Why did you transfer TO Shandris???").
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

nah, he reports to the board of AB. the board reports to vivendi holdings.
    The CEO of Vivendi SA also chairs the board of Acti-Blizz.

Quote Originally Posted by Megavolt View Post
    Wow, if he really did sell half of his stocks that's a horrible, frightening sign...

You usually see stuff like that when there is no hope for a company.
    Nah, he gets part of his pay or bonus in stocks and usually sells them on the back of a big release, he did so with MW2 and I think BlOps.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoneseek View Post
    I haven't actively checked, but the couple or three people I was in guilds with for a long time, went to other WoW guilds and then they're mostly on SWTOR, where I reunited with them). I don't know of ANY of the people I played with back in classic still play.
    Stating an opinion as fact does not make it fact. Opinions are not fact. So don't be stupid and make a fool of yourself by trying to pass off your opinion as fact.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conceit2 View Post

3. The decline was mainly in Asia.
    false, the decline was mainly in the west for the first 3 quarters as a whole. Just look at their revenues - losing 2 million china subs wouldn't put them back to bc-era revenues.

---------- Post added 2012-02-09 at 04:19 PM ----------

all stock ownership does is let them control the board of directors, to some degree, and there are legal issues limiting this as well.

the activision mgmt team, kotick et al, now run a-b, having reverse merged blizzard into activision.

---------- Post added 2012-02-09 at 04:20 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Where did you even hear this? Does this have to do with players from other countries? I think I heard something about them paying in different ways, but I know here in the US every WoW player pays *at least* about $11 a month, ranging all the way up to $14.99..... save the tax. ;p
    more than half their subs are in china, and that is pretty much the deal there as I wrote - all you have to do to be counted as a sub is log in in the last 30 days....

10+ Year Old Account
    2.3 millions? lol random numbers ftw.
    Yeah you saw what I did there! just like the lack of sauce from the 300k loss of subscribers DDDDDD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    The CEO of Vivendi SA also chairs the board of Acti-Blizz.
    I learned something new today!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascend View Post
    Yeah you saw what I did there! just like the lack of sauce from the 300k loss of subscribers DDDDDD
    except my numbers are from ea itself and yours are from your wildest fantasies

---------- Post added 2012-02-09 at 08:27 PM ----------

all stock ownership does is let them control the board of directors, to some degree, and there are legal issues limiting this as well.
    so basically they control the company. and they have also roughly half the members of the board of directors too.

10+ Year Old Account
    except my numbers are from ea itself and yours are from your wildest fantasies
    So where's the sauce? Go on, post it and I'll believe you.
    I did read something of their being 2million~ copies of the game sold, but I didn't think it was entirely credible.

10+ Year Old Account
    so basically they control the company. and they have also roughly half the members of the board of directors too.
    The board doesn't run the company day to day, they elect officers who do that, though in effect here it appears kotick was accepted as ceo as part of the original deal, and is presumed untouchable in practical terms unless something really blows up.

Kotick is doing things the way he always has, which is what he was expected to do.