Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Ah I just noticed a similar thread on Guru, Damn chem class

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Nope and nope.
    Actually yes and nope ;]. Well.. you are not allowed to.. but there are technical ways to do that :O. Uhm.. I shouldn't go there now, should I ;p.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Borzo View Post
    Not sure you can be "addicted" to endorphines, though.
    You can get addicted to the high that it brings.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure you can be "addicted" to endorphines, though.
    You can't unless you consider everyone that has fun or enjoys something an 'addict'.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    You can get addicted to the high that it brings.
    Well that's like being addicted to "fun" as Mal says. I think that's a built in feature of the human condition... not what most doctors would call an "addiction".

Having fun doesn't change your brain chemistry in "unintended" ways. Shooting heroin or snorting cocaine on the other hand....

technically in neuropsychology anything you do alters chemicals within the body... neurophysiology and neurobiology is effected by everything we do, dopamine is released whenever your brain is telling your body "good job" for an action it just did... such as eatting, sex (masturbating), or even simple things like scratching an itch or watching TV/playing a video game... drugs just create replacement catecholamines (natural "drugs" ex: dopamine, norephinephrin, serotonin)

so actually you can be addicted to video games, because it is expected to cause pleasure. compulsion is an urge to do something even when there is no beneficial outcome, hence people with obsessive compulsive disorder will do things like walk in and out of a room multiple times before finally entering the room... or locking and unlocking doors...
    Last edited by Lord Wokoom; 2012-02-09 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Wokoom View Post
    technically in neuropsychology anything you do alters chemicals within the body... neurophysiology and neurobiology is effected by everything we do, dopamine is released whenever your brain is telling your body "good job" for an action it just did... such as eatting, sex (masturbating), or even simple things like scratching and itch or watching TV/playing a video game... drugs just create replacement catecholamines (natural "drugs" ex: dopamine, norephinephrin, serotonin)

so actually you can be addicted to video games, because it is expected to cause pleasure. compulsion is an urge to do something even when there is no beneficial outcome, hence people with obsessive compulsive disorder will do things like walk in and out of a room multiple times before finally entering the room... or locking and unlocking doors...
    Yeah but by that definition, every learned behavior is an addiction... ?

10+ Year Old Account
    technically in neuropsychology anything you do alters chemicals within the body... neurophysiology and neurobiology is effected by everything we do, dopamine is released whenever your brain is telling your body "good job" for an action it just did... such as eatting, sex (masturbating), or even simple things like scratching and itch or watching TV/playing a video game... drugs just create replacement catecholamines (natural "drugs" ex: dopamine, norephinephrin, serotonin)

Then there is the matter of physical dependency. People that claim to be addicted to video games or TV usually don't have another way to induce to production of those natural chemicals in the human body, so they plug into one way of getting that production and ignore everything else. I don't believe that's addiction because those people just need another way to have 'fun' or 'enjoyment' not video games or tv exclusively.

Nicotine is easy to obtain by smoking, and people smoke because they depend on the chemical. It's why nicotine patches work. They give an alternate way of providing that chemical without being harmful.

I believe if your body naturally produces something that is the result of something required to exist (sex, eating) it can't be addictive, it's a requirement to life.
    Last edited by Malthurius; 2012-02-09 at 08:07 PM.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

This is why we can't have threads in GW2 forum

Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Yeah but by that definition, every learned behavior is an addiction... ?
    Depends on the reaction of chemicals in the body... if for whatever reason, let just say, your brain releases a large amount of dopamine for brushing your teeth... lets just say you will have really clean teeth! people get addicted to their phones this way... the ability to constantly have a flow of "good feelings" by constant texting, facebooking, playing Angry Birds (or other aps.) people get custom to this constant flow, doesn't even need to be a big push of "good feelings" (as seen in nicotine or other drugs)... most people who are addicted to TV, video games, their phones, or other things like this are just use to the constant steady stream of dopamine provided by taking part in these activities... so when that constant flow is not currently streaming through the brain they feel the with-draw! which means addiction!!!

---------- Post added 2012-02-09 at 03:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    This is why we can't have threads in GW2 forum

LOL, sorry Zito....

In short, GW2 is going to be awesome!!! vote for it!

Depends on the reaction of chemicals in the body... if for whatever reason, let just say, your brain releases a large amount of dopamine for brushing your teeth... lets just say you will have really clean teeth! people get addicted to their phones this way... the ability to constantly have a flow of "good feelings" by constant texting, facebooking, playing Angry Birds (or other aps.) people get custom to this constant flow, doesn't even need to be a big push of "good feelings" (as seen in nicotine or other drugs)... most people who are addicted to TV, video games, their phones, or other things like this are just use to the constant steady stream of dopamine provided by taking part in these activities... so when that constant flow is not currently streaming through the brain they feel the with-draw! which means addiction!!!
    I dunno... by that definition all human behavior is based on addiction.

2nd question: Are human beings "addicted" to food?

10+ Year Old Account

Yeah, technically we have withdrawl from food too, it's called hunger. (rolls eyes)

And breathing, called suffocation.

and having fun, it's called boredom.

EDIT - sorry about the tangent. I made a thread about this exact subject when I first started on this site. It's a topic I'm passionate about, and I can't help but state my mind about such things. Sorry about going so off-topic.
    Last edited by Malthurius; 2012-02-09 at 08:27 PM.

Yep, Humans have a higher cognitive... or else this behavior is called instinct! welcome to cognitive neuroscience!

Voted for GW2 and Wildstar. What can I say, that trailer got me.

Deleted
    Terra and GW2
    Love Terra's no-target system

<<Where are throwing that Fireball ? Are u drunk ? >>

Deleted
    What was this thread about now again?...

Will GW2 make it over 75% of the vote? from the time i looked at it this morning it was second to The Secret World... since then its been raking in the votes!!!

Deleted
    Will GW2 make it over 75% of the vote? from the time i looked at it this morning it was second to The Secret World... since then its been raking in the votes!!!
    It's not the first time they do that in a poll. DOTA 2 got the same treatment in a different poll.

67% 1.7k of the votes currently.

Voted for GW2 and TERA :3