I understand your concern. I also plan on playing a Mesmer and can't wait for getting to know some more skills, and see what the class will fully be able to do.

Deleted
    The general feeling I have about mesmers during PvP (gained from odd dev comments here and there) is that they're pretty effective.

I understand though because I guess it's a little harder to quantify...I mean, how can you put a number on the value of the number of seconds someone is confused by one of your illusions by...versus, say, raw DPS...and exactly how effective will those clones be after 6 months, when people are more familiar with the tricks...

Even if people are familiar with the tricks, they will still fall for them. Maybe only for a split second, but that could be enough for the mesmer to get away and for it to be a game changer. If you look at any game with PvP in it, people who have played it for a long time know all the abilities and tricks, but they are still able to be surprised depending on who they're up against.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    Even if people are familiar with the tricks, they will still fall for them. Maybe only for a split second, but that could be enough for the mesmer to get away and for it to be a game changer. If you look at any game with PvP in it, people who have played it for a long time know all the abilities and tricks, but they are still able to be surprised depending on who they're up against.
    Agreed. It's more about how they're applied than what they are functionally.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

10+ Year Old Account
    This has been posted before, but here is a great discussion about GW2 PVP with some devs. At one point they talk about how one of the designers, playing a Mesmer, was basically able to pull a huge victory out of his ass through skillful mastery of Mesmer tricks:

One of the most amazing matches, that I’ve had, was I was actually playing as my Mesmer and we were down 300 to 480; It was just not looking good. So I called out “Stall, stall, stall!” which just meant, “stop all the control points and don’t die”, because we didn’t want them to get anymore points.
    It actually came down to us stopping all the 3 control points at 499, and we were at 300. We were able to come back and won 500 to 499, and a lot of that was the Mesmer bouncing around and creating chaos. People thought they would be fighting me at a certain point but those were just my illusions. Then they would kill those and I would be back capping another point. I was using portals and running around taking two different points at once; bouncing back and forth between them creating a lot of chaos. I couldn’t stand there and take it like the other classes can, like the Warrior or a Guardian; the Mesmer is not nearly as strong, but creating all that chaos allowed us to come back in the game. It was a really fun game.
    Like any profession, the difference between a beginner and a master will be quite large, but you can expect Mesmers to be pretty powerful if played right.

this leads me to a question: do we know if the illusions actually do damage? I remember the 2h-Sword skill does damage, not sure about the other fighting illusions though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    this leads me to a question: do we know if the illusions actually do damage? I remember the 2h-Sword skill does damage, not sure about the other fighting illusions though.
    Illusions—Mesmers create illusions—mind tricks that manifest themselves physically. Most illusions are directed at a specific target, but anyone can see and attack them. They can only exist for as long as that target is alive and can only be dispelled by attacking the illusion itself. A mesmer can maintain up to three illusions at a time, with the oldest illusion being replaced by the newly created one. There are two types of illusions: clones and phantasms.

Clones—Clones are illusions that look just like the caster, have the caster's name, and have basic behaviors. Clones have low health and tend to do little damage. For example, a mesmer equipped with a sword has two clone-summoning skills: Leap, which launches him forward, leaving a clone at his location, and Illusionary Leap, which summons a clone at his location that then jumps forward.
    Phantasms—Phantasms are illusions that look like the caster but have their own names and carry special illusionary weapons, which look different and have specific behavior. Phantasms are more powerful, having more health and causing more damage. For example, a staff mesmer can summon an illusionary mage that attacks its target and deals extra damage for each inflicted condition.
    http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-gam...ssions/mesmer/
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

minor damage like mirror images in WoW, Phantasms do more damage and have more health than images

ah ok thanks, I didn't get the "little damage" part, it's a language problem for me, since my mothertongue is german and "little" could be translated to "kaum", which also means "nothing at all".

10+ Year Old Account
    ah ok thanks, I didn't get the "little damage" part, it's a language problem for me, since my mothertongue is german and "little" could be translated to "kaum", which also means "nothing at all".
    Ah, I see. Well, that happens sometimes

10+ Year Old Account

Deleted
    Still, while they themselves said that the mesmer is quite effective in the right hands and I believe them, I still find it hard to imagine it at this moment. I really need to see it in action I think (hinthintArenanethinthint).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vewen View Post
    Still, while they themselves said that the mesmer is quite effective in the right hands and I believe them, I still find it hard to imagine it at this moment. I really need to see it in action I think (hinthintArenanethinthint).
    I think it will work fine, I don't have any doubts because it's a core mechanic of the class. Not like mages in WoW where it was an ability added later that really doesn't define the class in any meaningful way. ArenaNet can work the mechanics of it much deeper into game itself.

It'd be great if the UI lied to you when you target illusions.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitsuj View Post
    I was looking forward to the news too, but I didn't know Skyrim was getting a patch, now I do, time to go play that, :P

Deleted
    Thanks guys for your input, feeling a little less concerned now but still i eagerly await more Mesmer skills to be revealed

And thanks Freehoof for the post regarding the Mesmer type of play and what they are capable of, sound exactly like the class i want to play
    Last edited by mmoccbb2f90537; 2012-02-09 at 05:44 PM.

Deleted
    I guess the thing about the illusions (am talking clones here) - no matter how familiar you are with mesmer tricks...you can never take the risk of not acting against one because you'll never truly know; your focus will always be divided.

Something that I picked up on from that mesmer PvP quote - the clones don't sound massively fragile...I assumed the clones would be 1-hit-poof-gone, but for people to be fighting them sounds like more of a time commitment. We know these are clones that are being talked about because phantasms are easily spotted...

People thought they would be fighting me at a certain point but those were just my illusions. Then they would kill those and I would be back capping another point.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's nice to see an increase in forum activity for GW2 lately, and the trolling is very small!

I'll start a thread called, "Recount matters in Raids: Why GW2 will FAIL!" to balance things out, Roggles. >:]

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fencers View Post
    i'll start a thread called, "recount matters in raids: Why gw2 will fail!" to balance things out, roggles. >:]
    nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I'll start a thread called, "Recount matters in Raids: Why GW2 will FAIL!" to balance things out, Roggles. >:]
    What a drama it would be ^^
    Be patience I am dyslexic..

Off Topic: That's one thing I find awesome about European (at least western European) school systems. Learning foreign languages is expected and required. In most of our US school systems you are only required to have 2 years of one foreign language to graduate and most people forget everything they learned within a month after leaving high school. My wife has a friend in Finland that knew Finnish, Swedish, German, English and French before leaving high school and speaks all but French quite fluently. I wish we would be more aggressive about having our children learn other languages/cultures. I speak Spanish and Arabic fluently as well as some conversational German and find learning about other cultures quite fascinating.

On Topic: As for the Mesmer, I'm definitely interested to see just how cunning people can be with the clones and illusions. I'm sure a highly skilled/thoughtful player could wreak havoc on unsuspecting foes...or even ones that are expecting the unexpected.