Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Im sorry if this sounds dumb, but why are they having (such a strict) NDA? To create a huge hype after the 20th or does it have another reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostrider View Post
    Im sorry if this sounds dumb, but why are they having (such a strict) NDA? To create a huge hype after the 20th or does it have another reason?
    Because they don't want people to go talking about how buggy something is or how X is broken blah blah blah while it's still in early/mid beta. NDA is extremely common for a large portion of most MMO's beta's.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Because they don't want people to go talking about how buggy something is or how X is broken blah blah blah while it's still in early/mid beta. NDA is extremely common for a large portion of most MMO's beta's.
    I´m sorry but wouldent this count as kinda late beta, since well the open beta starts next month

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDust View Post
    I´m sorry but wouldent this count as kinda late beta, since well the open beta starts next month
    Except it's not really open beta, which they've stated, it's just a more available closed beta where we will have a chance at getting in.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostrider View Post
    So they can coordinate press releases and control the flow of information, and thereby stem the flow of misinformation.
    It's good marketing really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    So they can coordinate press releases and control the flow of information, and thereby stem the flow of misinformation.
    It's good marketing really.
    He who controls the flow of information controls... something. The world? The mind of the people? There's a famous quote in there somewhere, I swear. Anyway, he who controls the spice, controls the universe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BlairPhoenix View Post
    Except it's not really open beta, which they've stated, it's just a more available closed beta where we will have a chance at getting in.
    Really? I thought it was open beta... Have they said when they will have open beta?

Quote Originally Posted by Freehoof View Post
    He who controls the flow of information controls... something. The world? The mind of the people? There's a famous quote in there somewhere, I swear. Anyway, he who controls the spice, controls the universe.
    Ohhh...you made me just really want to read the whole Dune series again lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Fernling306 View Post
    Really? I thought it was open beta... Have they said when they will have open beta?
    http://www.arena.net/blog/dragon

We recently finished our first closed beta test, and we’re now ready to hold progressively larger events. In February we’ll invite select press to participate in beta testing, and in March and April we’ll aggressively ramp up the size of our beta test events so that many of you will have a chance to participate. And of course, this all leads to the release of Guild Wars 2 later this year.
    ~ Mike

They're not doing an "open beta" it's beta events. We don't know exactly what they are yet. But one thing is absolutely, unequivocally certain.
    It's gonna be AWESOME!
    Last edited by Squirrelbanes; 2012-02-10 at 01:39 AM.

why do people keep saying open beta? All they have said is that they will progressively hold larger and larger events. This is in no way an open beta. Open Betas everyone gets in. These are Beta Test Weekends where the NDA may or may not be lifted. Stop saying Open beta.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    why do people keep saying open beta? All they have said is that they will progressively hold larger and larger events. This is in no way an open beta. Open Betas everyone gets in. These are Beta Test Weekends where the NDA may or may not be lifted. Stop saying Open beta.
    I could have sworn I've seen them say multiple times that there will be an open beta and it will act as more of a demo than anything. This would have been from interview over the last half of 2011. I am going to look for the interviews or whatever they were.

Maybe I was just reading many assumptions that there is going to be an open beta and it just kinda stuck in my head.
    Last edited by Fernling306; 2012-02-10 at 01:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Kerstein View Post
    Ok, to clarify a couple of points:

We purposely didn’t use the term “Open Beta”, we mentioned Beta Events. To some people Open Beta means unlimited access to the game and everybody on the interwebs can play it. This is not what we will do.

We will do Beta Weekend Events. Those of you who played Guild Wars might already be familiar with the concept. It means that many of you (like the blogpost says) will get a chance to participate in specific Events, but access won’t be unlimited – there will be some kind of selection criteria and the beta period will usually start on a Friday and end on the following Sunday.

I hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Kerstein View Post
    In general people: Just purge the term "Open Beta" from your brain. We are not using that terminology as it is a wrong one for what we are doing (see my earlier posting).

It is really simple: We are currently in Closed Beta. And then there will be Beta Events.
    And once we are ready to talk about specifics, we will also tell you about how to get in etc.
    Here you go.

If you are prepared to believe TotalBiscuit, its very responsive. This was based on a build that has since been updated to be even more responsive.

Kinda off topic but will the beta testers be able to share there experiences after the NDA lifts?

Quote Originally Posted by IMonstrousI View Post
    Kinda off topic but will the beta testers be able to share there experiences after the NDA lifts?
    The only thing stopping the beta testers IS the NDA, so yeah. But who knows when that will be. We know it's being partially lifted February 20th, but not fully.

You can tell by the gameplay videos its really fluid. Hell, guild wars 1 combat was fluid too... there should be no reason gw2 will have a clunky feel to it unless you play on a low-end machine.

Quote Originally Posted by omlech View Post
    From every impression I've read, clunky isn't a word that is ever used to describe GW2.
    Does the word "clunky" even have a definition? Or is that just a word people toss around when they wanna say something bad about a game, but can't actually say anything about it.... ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Borzo View Post
    Does the word "clunky" even have a definition? Or is that just a word people toss around when they wanna say something bad about a game, but can't actually say anything about it.... ?
    I think you could say sluggish insteed, or akward

10+ Year Old Account
    I use clunky to describe something that is awkward to control or not very smooth or fluid. Might not even be the proper usage.

Good point. Clunky is usually used to describe responsiveness in a game, typically combat and movement. As for the Beta Weekends, it's very likely that preordering will get you into them just like GW1's Beta Weekends, though that is unconfirmed at this point and merely my own hopeful speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by omlech View Post
    Good point. Clunky is usually used to describe responsiveness in a game, typically combat and movement. As for the Beta Weekends, it's very likely that preordering will get you into them just like GW1's Beta Weekends, though that is unconfirmed at this point and merely my own hopeful speculation.
    I always thought it came from the frame rate of older games (like 15-20 years ago)...this was called clunky I remember. As in...clunk....clunk....clunk for the frame rate.
    It was also called kiffy
    Anyway...GW2 is smooth and beautiful
    Last edited by Squirrelbanes; 2012-02-10 at 04:05 AM.