Page 1 of 2
LastLast

GW2: Maarius' Infothreads Overview, Newbies welcome

I made a few threads about GW2 so far and for those who are new here this thread should give you a little overview and should help you to find them.

My GW2-threads so far:

1. top 5 false assumptions (actually it has grown to a top 12)
    2. ask a question (GW2)
    3. the answer to "why is there no GvG PvP?"
    4. GW2: Build-Tool + Character-tool
    5. [GW2] Just Play, Quests as Hearts
    6. GW2: All cosmetic? Definitely NO!
    7. GW2: more hardcore dungeons than any other mmo
    8. GW2: good bye static rotation, welcome active battles!
    9. GW2: official Blogpost about the Holy Trinity - must read

and here some not so important topics:

(sorry for a few missing pictures here and there, photobucket isn't very reliable as it seems )

@1: top 12 false assumptions:

you can find some clarifications in this thread, there is a lot of misinformation out there and this might help a bit.
    This are the misconceptions I'm talking about in the thread:

1.) GW2 is PvP focussed, so PvE isn't important to the developers.
    2.) The story is very simple, because there are only dynamic events. There are no consequences; story is not important.
    3.) this Thief/Ranger/... is like the Rogue/Hunter/... in WoW.
    4.) there are no quests in GW2
    5.) the game is from the Aion-Makers NCsoft and made for asia-mmo-lovers
    6.) the characters look asia-style
    7.) there are 10.000 (insert a number) dynamic events in the world / there are 1500 eventchains in gw2
    8.) Guild Wars 2 has no portals other than city-portals and portals to instances.
    9.) GW2 PVE isn't in depth enough to really make many interesting encounters.....can't add much complexity without tank and heals

10.) dungeons don't offer any real reward / gear that is just as good everywhere else. no reason to run dungeons again
    11.) PvE-gear is just cosmetical, it's not rewarding, there is no gear progression.
    12.) Dynamic Events have to be easy, because of griefing
    you find the answers in the thread.

@2: ask a question

some questions have been asked and I tried to answer them as good as I could
    Q: Does anyone know how joining more than one guild will work? Which guild name will be displayed? Will I have multiple guild chats?
    Q: Is there any way to play the demo, or was that only on special events (Gamescom, etc.)
    Q: Will they release new content as expansion packs like Eye of the North or campaigns like Nightfall and Factions? And what will they add to the game?
    Q: do we have to level up in order to participate in WvWvW (World PvP) or structured PvP (tournament and hot join play)?
    Q: do we have to level up in order to do new PvE content (like content from new expansions)?
    Q: are there love interest options kind of like Bioware games, Elder scrolls, Fable etc?
    Q: will we be able to switch one character from PvE to structured PvP, and other way around?

@5: Just Play, Quests as hearts

this contains a clarification what these hearts are. They are no "Dynamic Events" and they are no simple quests, it's rather a new system.

@6: All cosmetic? definitely NO!

this thread clarifies that there ARE non-cosmetic weapons/armor in the game, it's not all about cosmetics.
    Furthermore there is a lot to do after you hit the max. level. In other mmos your build is finished at max. level. In GW2 there is more to it

read more about it in the thread

(note: some of the stats have been changed, e.g. agility is now power)

acquire new skills long after you hit max. level... and don't forget traits!

@7: more hardcore dungeons than any other mmo

the title is very provoking, there are things you have to learn about the game in order to see why I think that this is a fact.
    It's all about "backscaling" and the explorable mode dungeons being the hardest content in the game.

for clarification read the thread

@8: goodbye static rotation, welcome active battles

There are combos in the game, yes. But this game is more about timed reactions than learning your button-press-sequence by heart.
    Take a look at the linked video-clips and read why GW2 is so different.

a little example of the active battle possibilities for the Elementalist:

source of the great graphic: guildwars incgamers

@9: official Blogpost about the holy trinity, must read!

a lot of discussion is going on, but most of the people don't really know that there are a lot of pieces of a puzzle that play together in order to accomplish the new system without a holy trinity.

This is a official blogpost about this system, it's definitely worth a read!

mesmer.pl

hope this helps
    Last edited by Maarius; 2012-02-10 at 12:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you got to shove the information down their throats, so be it.

Definitely bookmarking this thread for future reference when stating a point. Thank you.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

/takes hat off.
    Keep it bumped ppl

LoL this was bound to happen someday. Dunno why people just dont read the mass info sticky and the GW2 site =p

10+ Year Old Account
    Good work Maarius

Not to come off as a dick but isn't this the same as the 2 stickies of info? O.o

Good info' nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Neglesh View Post
    Not to come off as a dick but isn't this the same as the 2 stickies of info? O.o

Good info' nonetheless.
    thank you

The stickies cover really most of info we have about gw2. I posted my threads to take a closer look on some of the specific questions that came up in the community. Some of the threads need input from the community too (questions, misconceptions e.g) and some are clarifications for people who already read the stickies.

Furthermore some threads really are open to discussion on specific topics.
    This topic should only give you an overview about those specific discussions and clarifications.

Quote Originally Posted by Neglesh View Post

Good info' nonetheless.
    Omlech's sticky is awesome as an overview. It gives the ppl totally new to GW2 all the info they need and is brilliant in that it's concise and gives loads of visual examples of GW2's features.
    Maarius' threads have delved into the inner workings of the features of GW2...and I've thoroughly enjoyed every one of them.
    Neither is better than the other...they're probably just aimed at different readers.
    Again, great job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Id like this as a sticky

linked this thread in the guru-forums and got it locked because "we already have a mass info thread"
    now this gets my angry, won't defend guru anymore from now on

Deleted
    You can't just sticky everything. Just keep this thread active and it will probably get more attention then it would have as a sticky.

Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    linked this thread in the guru-forums and got it locked because "we already have a mass info thread"
    now this gets my angry, won't defend guru anymore from now on
    Don't worry mate, those guys are in serious need of a myopic mind fk.
    They could never accept links like this coming from any other source than guru. If you wrote them all in guru there would probably be no problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Typical Guru nazi's.

got merged with the mass info thread and will get lost like the other posts there... *shake head*

10+ Year Old Account
    got merged with the mass info thread and will get lost like the other posts there... *shake head*
    At least here we appreciate you

10+ Year Old Account
    I avoid Guru like the plague... I'm a huge fan of of Guild Wars 1 & 2 (obviously, most of my posts are in this subforum) but I can't stand zealots...
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Deleted
    Good job as always Maarius!

Yeah, let's not trash talking GW2 Guru here. If you don't like them, don't go there (I've honestly never been there once). It's taken place in a number of threads and needs to stop.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Yeah, let's not trash talking GW2 Guru here. If you don't like them, don't go there (I've honestly never been there once). It's taken place in a number of threads and needs to stop.
    Point taken.

Good solid work as usual Maarius, keep it up.

This thread, my friend, is the sex. Have my babies.
    Unfortunately, I feel that the people who won't read it and ask repeated questions are the same people who won't read the stickies and ask repeated questions.