Deleted

[Help] Frost DK low DPS

Ok, here is the thing:

I am the MT of my guild but due to it becoming a 25 man from tonight and the fact that our OT can't do anything except tanking, I have to change to DPS pretty often. Problem is I do a fairly low DPS. Read a bunch of guides that said I needed to cap my hit and expertiese. I did so and was doing even lower DPS. Around 20k. I decided to drop the exp cap and go for haste instead. Now it is around 23-24k. I am posting my armory link.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rante/advanced

I have the shoulders from Spine of Deathwing but if a use them I will lose the set bonus from t12 which is why I am still with them.
    Last night I won the 378 helm from Alysrazor, didn't have the time to put it on with gems and enchant. I got 700 VP and with this weeks reset I can get them to 1700.

My rotation is

Deseases up all the time -> obliterate -> frost strike(when at full RP), howling blast (when Rime is up).
    I use Pillar of frost and Apparatus on CD. Pillar is used when all runes are on cd and I blood tap for a blood rune so I don't waste my frost runes.

Oh yeah, the ring from the VP vendor is socketed with mastery because I use it for tanking, just reforge it when I respecc.

Any sort of help will be appreciated.

I normally only cap to 8% hit. You should always summon your ghoul with pillar and i would use it doing a hero/timewarp. Use horn of winter when runes are on CD to get more RP. Other then that your priority/rotation is right.

You're not expertise capped and thats a tremendous loss of dps. Those sites are right, you absolutely want to be expertise capped. Change your reforges around entirely you have it set up badly. Why do you have your 390 weapon in your offhand? Switch it to your mainhand.

Without logs we have no real way of telling you what you're doing right/wrong with ability usage/cooldowns etc. You need to get one if you want to improve that. But you should be putting out quite a bit more dps with that gear, so it is likely also a problem with your ability usage, but we need to see your logs to get a more accurate answer.

Deleted
    The MH-OH was a bug from WoW invetary, nvm it is fixed now.

If I go for expertiese over haste I often get left with no runes, no RP everything on CD and just auto-attacking the boss.
    When I swapped from exp to haste my overall DPS got boosted. Right now i need to deal with some reforges before updating the armory plus get me the head enchant cause I swapped helmets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your gemming needs to be pure strength unless the bonus is 20 str or 30 haste. That will boost your attack power a bit and help some. Other than that I think it's just learning when and how to use cooldowns etc.

A log would help greatly in evaluating your overall performance.

Also, enchant strength to wrists + gloves. Str is worth way more than haste.

Last but not least, you need to reforge several of your pieces. If you're not doing masterfrost the priority for reforging is haste > mastery > crit. I see several pieces where you left crit and reforged haste to mastery which is wrong. If you go masterfrost it's mastery > haste > crit as priority.

I think that's it atm.
    Last edited by Art3x; 2012-02-08 at 03:21 PM.

You may want to try the improved blood tap build w/ 2/2 in Improved Blood Tap reducing the CD on it by 30 secs and giving you a way to fill the gaps in your rotation, but you will lose the extended duration on your diseases and will have to apply them more often. It works well to fill in gaps in your rotation and to pull out an Obliterate when KM procs at times! Just a thought!

15+ Year Old Account
    Always go for the hit and expertise cap. No matter the cost, you need 8% hit and 26 expertise.

For Frost DW to become effective, you need to have a lot more haste, around 2300 is best. Find a way to quickly replace your head- and chestpieces. Both items have a lot of crit on it, which currently isn't reforged at all. The reforging aside, get tier 13 chest as fast as you can (LFR or normal doesn't matter). Tier head is also a very good upgrade, but if you have the points, you could also buy the VP head instead. In any case, replace the head and chest with items that have haste on them.

Which helm did you have before you changed to the one from Alysrazor?

If you do that, you'll gain atleast 400 haste, probably even close to 500.

Oh, and don't forget to enchant your headpiece. Once you have 2200-2250 haste, change the enchant on your bracers and gloves to +50 str. Don't gem for 20 str 20 haste if you don't get a socket bonus. Pointing at shoulders. Remove the +40 mastery gem in your Ring of Torn Flesh. Shouldn't be used for tanking anyway.
    Last edited by Statix; 2012-02-08 at 03:30 PM.
    Statix will suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerax View Post
    If I go for expertiese over haste I often get left with no runes, no RP everything on CD and just auto-attacking the boss.
    When I swapped from exp to haste my overall DPS got boosted.
    I could see dropping a little expertise to "fill-out" your rotation. It's possible, in the short term, that might boost your dps. In the long run however, as you get more natural haste, you'll want to cap your expertise.

As to your pillar usage. I don't think popping it when all your runes are on CD is the best way to go. You want runes available to maximize your strikes while pillar is active. And you can than use that BT to gain a rune for an Oblit during pillar. This may also help combat your feeling of being starved for resources.
    Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    @Wingwraith: You can haz a point too, but only because you admit you're a tool!

10+ Year Old Account
    Reforge like this and see how it feels.

15+ Year Old Account
    Pillar of Frost should be used on cooldown. Don't wait for all your runes to be on cooldown. Also, just bind Blood Tap to your Pillar of Frost ability, so you always activate a Blood Rune to ensure you can use Pillar of Frost when the cooldown finishes.
    Statix will suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerax View Post
    The MH-OH was a bug from WoW invetary, nvm it is fixed now.

When I swapped from exp to haste my overall DPS got boosted. Right now i need to deal with some reforges before updating the armory plus get me the head enchant cause I swapped helmets.
    Honestly, even with like 1400-1800 haste this should be very rare, and you can get expertise capped with that much haste. Which means that you're doing something fundamentally wrong at the rotation level that results in you having significant periods of time without abilities to use. When I plugged you into a reforge calculator I was able to get you expertise+hit capped with only losing 400 haste, which should not make you have a tremendous amount of dead time on bosses. Yes it will occur a little bit, but if you're having it happen a lot its something you're doing wrong, not the lack of haste.

Quote Originally Posted by Statix View Post
    Pillar of Frost should be used on cooldown. Don't wait for all your runes to be on cooldown. Also, just bind Blood Tap to your Pillar of Frost ability, so you always activate a Blood Rune to ensure you can use Pillar of Frost when the cooldown finishes.
    I would not suggest this; while it is convenient, it is not optimal. If you ever hit pillar when you have both death runes active, your blood tap will be wasted.

Deleted
    Ok, armory is updated and here is my log from wednesday on Majordomo heroic

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/2.../?s=958&e=1418

hope you can help me, since we are moving to 25 and I will probably have to DPS the 1 tank fights.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rante/advanced

Much of your gear should get improved m8, especially the weapons, it will do a big difference. Also, if you can replace that HC apparatus with a normal or even LFR DS trinket, it would also be an increase in dps.

As of now, mastery for frost is better, and even using howling blast > Oblit without KM is better this way and will result in higher dps.
    Thought this also means you have to get spell hit cap

Right off the bat I see a problem, Your frost strike is doing more damage then your obliterate. Your disease up-time on PS is terrible (especially when spec'd into epidemic) you need to have that over 80% on 90% of the fights. This will kill your dps otherwise (probably why your oblit was below your FS).

Finally you were still getting dodged (and parried O.o) by the boss, so you weren't expertise capped at the time. When it comes to parry, don't stand in front of the boss when you don't have to, and on major domo you barely have to. (you can run back and forth between the cleaves on scorpion phase until he get's to about 7.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fya View Post
    Right off the bat I see a problem, Your frost strike is doing more damage then your obliterate. Your disease up-time on PS is terrible (especially when spec'd into epidemic) you need to have that over 80% on 90% of the fights. This will kill your dps otherwise (probably why your oblit was below your FS).

Finally you were still getting dodged (and parried O.o) by the boss, so you weren't expertise capped at the time. When it comes to parry, don't stand in front of the boss when you don't have to, and on major domo you barely have to. (you can run back and forth between the cleaves on scorpion phase until he get's to about 7.)
    I saw that, yes, but this is on Majordomo Heroic and we do the 0-7-0-7 tactic. Meaning that crazy cat jumps almost all the time and I barely get to attack him. This is probably why my dot uptime is not optimized.