Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Can just buy more slots. Not a biggie. That's how it was in GW1. I just thought perhaps with the move to separate shards, erm, worlds, whatever they call them- we would have char slots as in TOR and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Or buy a pass for cross-realm grouping for 8 hours or so. Maybe even with multiple charges. It also satisfies this definition.
    this entirely goes against their design decision to build a server-community, haven't you learned anything tackhisis? There won't be cross-server grouping, it's only in structured PvP, where you find people in a shooter-like lobby.

So how you're going to play "with your friends" "without rerolling" and without "expensive transfer fees"? If they were going to implement free server transfers they would probably said it directly, not in the form of "we are researching a way".

Deleted
    So how you're going to play "with your friends" "without rerolling" and without "expensive transfer fees"? If they were going to implement free server transfers they would probably said it directly, not in the form of "we are researching a way".
    Lol Tackhisis, you're back again? Out of curiosity, what are you trying to accomplish with all these posts about GW2?

l2understand "We haven’t finalized all the details of this yet".

hope you're not going to cry because you won't be able to group with someone who won't buy the game in some next post.

Deleted
    I can't remember where I read it but I defiantly remember them saying realm transfers were free but would likely have a cooldown so WvWvW doesn't get screwed about.

10+ Year Old Account
    /sigh why are people even talking about server transfers when you have not even bothered to answer the OP?

OT: since events scale you won't be missing out on anything "epic" as long as you meet the DE's minimum player threshold then you ahould be able to participate and complete the DEs. when an event spawns more mobs, bosses unlock new abilities and other mechanics come in to play with an increase the the amount of players at a given event it does not necessarily mean the event is becoming more "epic" it just means that this is how the event scales to maintain difficulty with an increase in participating players at the event.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

Kind of have to agree with Tackhisis here, troll or not. Not about the cross realm grouping pass, but I think way too many of you have jumped on the 'free server transfers' bandwagon when Arenanet has never explicitly stated that server transfers were free, at least anywhere that I've seen, and if that were the case I would think that is something they would want to advertise. If anyone DOES have some official statement please feel free to post a link and prove me wrong.

Weather or not transfers are free Anet will have an easier time dealing with low pop servers as they should be significantly less painful to merge if the pop is too low. One issue with other MMO's and server transfer/mergers is the same name can be used across multiple servers. Whenever this happens someone needs to be renamed, normally the arriving player but in the case of mergers sometimes its the newest or random. Because names are unique across the system if a pair of low pop servers gets merged the only noticeable impact to the players is the changed name on there server and more people around.

I for one think that what they've said as implying transfers are free but as others have pointed out we may be wrong about that. Oh and by all that is holy please dont feed the troll. In fact its best if you dont even look at it, history shows it will be banned agian soon enough.

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Can just buy more slots. Not a biggie. That's how it was in GW1. I just thought perhaps with the move to separate shards, erm, worlds, whatever they call them- we would have char slots as in TOR and such.
    I don't believe in cash shops. :x

(why am I playing GW2 again then?)

Quote Originally Posted by leipuri View Post
    If you feel that way you can just transfer to different server, which will be free.
    That's hardly a permanent fix to the problem. The OP, and myself, have a valid concern here. When one realm gets boosted up as a "Top Realm" there will be a swarm of players looking to be a part of the "best" one. The lower populated ones will no doubt be screwed with Dynamic Events (sort of, in the way that it won't be as fun with less people) but also in WvWvW.
    Last edited by Mkalafut; 2012-02-13 at 04:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mkalafut View Post
    That's hardly a permanent fix to the problem. The OP, and myself, have a valid concern here. When one realm gets boosted up as a "Top Realm" there will be a swarm of players looking to be a part of the "best" one. The lower populated ones will no doubt be screwed with Dynamic Events (sort of, in the way that it won't be as fun with less people) but also in WvWvW.
    There's a population cap.

I've seen a show about this, and basically it boils down to: Yes, you can transfer to the best server. But you're probably not going to be able to participate.

And you can do dynamic events just fine with less people or solo. The world bosses would be the only problem, but you can just... transfer to a higher population realm for those.

It might not be uncommon to see people switching to less populated realms.
    WvWvW, for now we think at least, has a limit of 2000 participants for all 3 servers. This brings up the possibility that you may, unless I've missed something somewhere, end up queuing to get in.
    There will definitely be servers that have a higher pvp ranking, and pvpers will probably gravitate towards them. But then if they hit a bottleneck for participation, they might just transfer to a less populated one.

For DEs...you can still do them with a smaller number of people. And what we've seen and heard of DEs so far, they all look pretty exciting and it's not really the case that only the end of a chain is the exciting part. Only issue is for elite world events, which you'd probably only be able to do at peak times.
    It's probably also likely that Anet would boost NPCs on lower population servers to push things along more. But that's just speculation ofc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    I don't believe in cash shops. :x

(why am I playing GW2 again then?)
    Because GW2 will have a reasonable cash shop. None of that "Buy this potion for $10.00 and it will increase your level of pwn for 20 minutes!" kind of crap.
    I wouldn't mind buying character slots, just as long as they don't screw us over with default slots. It should be 8 slots upon release with the other two available in the cash shop for $10.00 each. Or 6 upon release with the other 4 available for $5.00 each. That's just my reasoning though, others thinking differently.

I like the default 8 slot idea. 1 slot for each profession. Buy 2 more to have extra alts. It's really that simple.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    Because GW2 will have a reasonable cash shop. None of that "Buy this potion for $10.00 and it will increase your level of pwn for 20 minutes!" kind of crap.
    I wouldn't mind buying character slots, just as long as they don't screw us over with default slots. It should be 8 slots upon release with the other two available in the cash shop for $10.00 each. Or 6 upon release with the other 4 available for $5.00 each. That's just my reasoning though, others thinking differently.

I like the default 8 slot idea. 1 slot for each profession. Buy 2 more to have extra alts. It's really that simple.
    Don't have a source for this, so you can call it an academical guess ;P, but I foresee 5 character slots at the release.

I just hope there will be no XP/karma/renown boosters available...

Quote Originally Posted by Creepjack View Post
    I just hope there will be no XP/karma/renown boosters available...
    Seeing as how the game isn't competitive, what difference would it make if there were? I'm just curious about this line of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Seeing as how the game isn't competitive, what difference would it make if there were? I'm just curious about this line of thinking.
    They had no EXP or Faction / Reputation gains in the Cash shop for GW1 but I wouldn't doubt it if we saw it in GW2. But as Fencers said, really who cares? Cosmetic, souldbound rewards are all that you can gain from the stuff. It'll only benefit that player for paying for it and if they want to do that, I support them supporting Arena Net.

I do not agree that GW2 isn't competitive though, because I assure you it will be on many levels. I'm sure you just meant not competitive gear wise, though. Or at least I'm hoping.

---------- Post added 2012-02-13 at 05:55 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    It might not be uncommon to see people switching to less populated realms.
    WvWvW, for now we think at least, has a limit of 2000 participants for all 3 servers. This brings up the possibility that you may, unless I've missed something somewhere, end up queuing to get in.
    There will definitely be servers that have a higher pvp ranking, and pvpers will probably gravitate towards them. But then if they hit a bottleneck for participation, they might just transfer to a less populated one.

For DEs...you can still do them with a smaller number of people. And what we've seen and heard of DEs so far, they all look pretty exciting and it's not really the case that only the end of a chain is the exciting part. Only issue is for elite world events, which you'd probably only be able to do at peak times.
    It's probably also likely that Anet would boost NPCs on lower population servers to push things along more. But that's just speculation ofc.
    That's fine, but I do not think that people should use the "Free transfers" (Which by the way we still don't know if they're 100% free yet) as an excuse for players jumping ship to one server or another to favor DE or WvWvW on one specific server. I understand there's a cap, but with so many people having the "Oh well, shit happens just transfer to another realm" mentality, the problem will just keep repeating itself over and over and over again.

I do not agree that GW2 isn't competitive though, because I assure you it will be on many levels. I'm sure you just meant not competitive gear wise, though. Or at least I'm hoping
    Oh yea, I'm sorry. Should have worded that better. I meant there is not competition to level quicker than others or have a nice looking hat.

I can't see hopping servers giving much of a tangible benefit tbh.
    And hopefully the more cooperative style of GW2 will help to breed out some of that mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    I hear there's a cap of 5. I hope not. =\

I want to try all of them. D:
    Good method of making money tbh - and quite fair.

I'll be for one buying extra slots if 5 is the cap default.