Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    in line with a sleeping bag for d3 beta and CE
    spybot s&d is a rly good programm aswel for keyloggers and tracking cookies and register entry's what you don't rly want on your pc.
    just google the programm download it.
    then frist protect your internet browers and then scan your system, the follow up with repair problems and done

Deleted
    Nice topic. Thanks. Ad-Aware found 2 trojans, 2 keyloggers - one of them was called gam.password or something like that...now I know how I got hacked. The anti-malware program found another 11 infections, but spybot did not find anything. After I got hacked I used it to scan my system, along with Avast antivirus and they found some threats, but not these...Recently I logged onto a friend's account and two days later he was hacked. So why wasn't I for a second time? I guess the authenticator saved me so far, problem is they already know all my other information, apart from WoW password...so I checked everything again after seeing this topic with all programs mentioned and I hope that this time I am free of keyloggers...

How did I get infected? I heard about an addon called Perfect Raid , but it wasn't on "Curse" , so I downloaded it from another web-site and 2 days later baaang....

So my advice to ya all - download addons only from the curse website or if you know other trusted ones...even then there's no guarantee, but I hope that with Ad-Aware online protection I will avoid such "infections" in the future.

Deleted
    This thread is full of win.
    Didn't know there were so many freeware programs that could do their job perfectly.
    The spybot S&D even found some infections that even my licensed spyware doctor couldn't find.
    Think i'll stick to freeware from now on.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would like to mention SpywareBlaster as well, it an immunity database program just like the feature in Spybot SnD -> Prevents you from being infected in the first place!

http://www.filehippo.com/download_spywareblaster/

Keyboard Turner castorsandwheels's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the sharing

Don't trust any software removal tool, you might remove the original program, but you don't know what other programs could have been installed along with it. Bad guys have gotten very good at hiding stuff. There is no removal tool that is 100%.

Format your drive, wipe it completely clean, reinstall.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannoroth View Post
    Nice topic. Thanks. Ad-Aware found 2 trojans, 2 keyloggers - one of them was called gam.password or something like that...now I know how I got hacked. The anti-malware program found another 11 infections, but spybot did not find anything. After I got hacked I used it to scan my system, along with Avast antivirus and they found some threats, but not these...Recently I logged onto a friend's account and two days later he was hacked. So why wasn't I for a second time? I guess the authenticator saved me so far, problem is they already know all my other information, apart from WoW password...so I checked everything again after seeing this topic with all programs mentioned and I hope that this time I am free of keyloggers...

How did I get infected? I heard about an addon called Perfect Raid , but it wasn't on "Curse" , so I downloaded it from another web-site and 2 days later baaang....

So my advice to ya all - download addons only from the curse website or if you know other trusted ones...even then there's no guarantee, but I hope that with Ad-Aware online protection I will avoid such "infections" in the future.
    Common for keyloggers to come from downloaded content. Such as using Limewire or torrent websites to download pirated media. The pirated media will have a virus embedded into it and when the file is accessed you in turn infect your computer with the virus.

---------- Post added 2011-10-04 at 03:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbert View Post
    Don't trust any software removal tool, you might remove the original program, but you don't know what other programs could have been installed along with it. Bad guys have gotten very good at hiding stuff. There is no removal tool that is 100%.

Format your drive, wipe it completely clean, reinstall.
    We can appreciate your opinion but these tools are some of the most commonly known virus removal tools. They are commonly known because they work so well. Should you want to create a thread with a guide on how to reinstall Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 while also outlining how to check for your motherboard drivers then please go right ahead and if it is worthy I will personally sticky it. However this thread was created to help our user base in their time of need. We also guide them through the process not just give them a broad stroke reply, because not everyone is a "tech guy".

Magekid, you did a great job. Thank you for the superior information.

thanks a lot for sharing this one..this is truly helpful

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lese View Post
    so >_> does this work on a mac?
    Yes and no. Some programs will work in a Mac environment or they will have the Mac equivalent for an install others will just outright not work.

Thanks for this! awesome

This is very helpful. Thanks a lot!

Deleted
    Hi,

Awhile ago i think i remember seeing a really good website to download security software on this thread. It had a lot of different categories like Antivirus, Firewalls, Spyware Remover, Rootkit remover and things like that, and they were in Lists from the best to worse based on their tests.

At the time i forgot to bookmark it and now i can't remember its bloody name and i can't find it anywhere... can anyone help?

Well there is http://www.av-test.org that I use, dunno if that's what you're looking for

I have a related question, i am using COMODO Firewall, having it keep open and running all the time, and now as i installed Ad-Aware it also keeps running and monitoring things all the time, does one program interfere with the other work making both useless if they both run at same time? Heard something like that few years ago, that if you use 2 firewalls at same time neither will work. Is this still an issue?

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omgwtfbbq View Post
    I have a related question, i am using COMODO Firewall, having it keep open and running all the time, and now as i installed Ad-Aware it also keeps running and monitoring things all the time, does one program interfere with the other work making both useless if they both run at same time? Heard something like that few years ago, that if you use 2 firewalls at same time neither will work. Is this still an issue?
    Yeah it is still an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Omgwtfbbq View Post
    If you use COMODO firewall, why not just use their anti-virus as well? It's free. It's the AV my boss has decided to use across Georgia at the offices we cover.

Deleted
    Hi,

Being quite an enthusiast about viruses cleaning, I learned a lot about this in french traning forums and on spyware.info

I can't help but notice some things are quite strange.

Why would run CCleaner before a cleanup ?
    I can understand why you would use it after a viruses cleanup (deleting temp files, etc.. to make the infection we just fixed doesnt come back immediately).

Ad-aware is just wayyyyyyy too old, same for spybot. Their definitions are just poor, those were good, but some years back. Now they're just useless, they can slow down your computer, and spybot's TeaTimer can be a pain in the ass when trying to fix an infection.

MBAM can easily replace those two, he's a lot more efficient in every way possible. Everything Spybot and Ad-aware can fix, MBAM can, and a lot more.

Hijackthis is also out-dated. A lot of infections are not detected via HjT and this tool can be used only if we know with which infection we are dealing with, and also that HjT detects it.

A clean scan from HijackThis doesn't guarantee a clean PC at all.

This thread can be now resumed in one line : Use MBAM. See if that solve the problem. If not, we'll have to scan and maybe go a lot further than just scanning at random with outdated tools.

(My message is not supposed to "bash" OP. I'm just trying to help people with what I learned, I tried to be as constructive as I could, english not being my mother language too ;D)

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Ccleaner is used prior to Malwarebytes so Malwarebytes has less files to scan through. In turn making the scan complete faster.