Thread: No Mounts?

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    meh if they ever put some in.. dont have em go faster than walking speed.

just be there for cosmetic reasons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well they could ad some later on. Personally after the 100'th time running through the same area I don't really care about the scenery anymore and just want to go to whatever specific area Im heading to, so mounts would be nice by that time. :p

I'd rather just have a passive sprint ability that's only active out of combat, like the one in SWTOR.

Deleted
    I believe they said that when you sheath your weapon you will run a little bit faster. At least you get a different running animation (think Charr on all 4 legs).

@Jimusmc Okay, sorry !

Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    There won't be any mounts at launch. Hopefully they never add mounts either. I see no point for them.
    ^ totally this. In skyrim you could get a horse but I never did. I just like the idea of being on foot while travelling through hostile areas, it hightens the sense of danger instead of flying over the top of it like in wow. You have waypoints so unlike SWTOR you don't spend more time travelling back to quest givers than you do actually doing the quests. The system they have choosen sounds PERFECT.

No offense to people that collect mounts but I found that whole idea pointless. All I needed was one mount that travelled the same speed as all the others to get me around. I didn't need 100 mounts. Having different mounts is ok but trying to collect them all - pointless. Same goes with pets. It used to annoy me in battlegrounds with all these silly pets following people around it made me feel like I was playing with a bunch of young kids. I hope for NO MOUNTS and NO PETS.

Deleted
    Personally I would prefer mounts over waypoints, or at least a visual and slightly time consuming representation of fast travel (like gryphons and wyverns in WoW).

Waypoints are just a major buzzkill for me. Given the chance to teleport everywhere, people will, even if they don't want to. And the world will shrink.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dislike mounts, hope they never implement them. Didn't even use mounts in wow, (druid :P)

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Risin View Post
    Personally I would prefer mounts over waypoints, or at least a visual and slightly time consuming representation of fast travel (like gryphons and wyverns in WoW).

Waypoints are just a major buzzkill for me. Given the chance to teleport everywhere, people will, even if they don't want to. And the world will shrink.
    They explained this in one of the videos, if you travel by foot rather than Waypoints it'll be rewarding and beneficial, but at the cost of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Karthius View Post
    I been searching for a clear cut answer and have yet to find out, but basically as the threat title states. will guild wars 2 have mounts? i know there will transportation with the stones and such but i enjoy having a collection of different horses, dragons etc to ride upon an they would make nice cosmetic rewards for hardcore players. Just a thought.
    I think you will find that no mounts is unanimously favoured feature of gw2.
    "Bill Nye: So Todd I got an offer for you. You and me. Any time. Any place. Debating science mano- a-mano. I'll bring the facts, and you bring the Vaseline. Because your ass is gonna fucking need it when I'm done whipping."

Mr Eames: "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Deleted
    Mounts are incredibly disruptive to gameplay and are as such generally a bad idea.

* It causes designers to design larger zones, and suddenly everything feels so far apart when you aren't mounted.
    * It bypasses the danger of exploring new areas when you can just ride past all the enemies.
    * It makes PvP more boring by allowing people to ride past non-mounted enemies.
    * It also puts any range focused characters at a disadvantage by allowing melee characters to ride up and dismount, thereby bypassing the advantage that range is supposed to give.
    * The above is even more so true when considering that GW2 looks to have the same type of projectile code as GW1, where you benefit greatly from holding the higher position.

And what do you gain by mounts that waypoints or other travel mechanisms don't provide? Absolutely nothing unless you are a mount collector.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I actually hope there's no mounts! Especially no flying mounts. :P

Meh. I don't really care yet. Once we see how the zones are laid out and how compact interest areas are then I'll have something to consider. Personally, I don't care too much about mounts unless the absence of a mount is a pain in the ass. Can't really judge that yet.

For example, in Warcraft I want a mount from level 1. Many an alt has been dashed around level 6 simply because walking around Durotaur was too burdensome. By contrast in SWTOR I sometimes forget I have a mount (server first SOA mount holla!) because the zones are so tightly designed.

if they come up with a good - emphasis on good - mounted combat system then maybe ground mounts would be acceptable for me. flying - hell no. unless it is in an instanced setting with some awesome flying mounted combat.

yeah, mounted combat has really let me down in the past. i still hope to see a really nice system for it

Quote Originally Posted by Wildclaw View Post
    Mounts are incredibly disruptive to gameplay and are as such generally a bad idea.

* It causes designers to design larger zones, and suddenly everything feels so far apart when you aren't mounted.
    * It bypasses the danger of exploring new areas when you can just ride past all the enemies.
    * It makes PvP more boring by allowing people to ride past non-mounted enemies.
    * It also puts any range focused characters at a disadvantage by allowing melee characters to ride up and dismount, thereby bypassing the advantage that range is supposed to give.
    * The above is even more so true when considering that GW2 looks to have the same type of projectile code as GW1, where you benefit greatly from holding the higher position.

And what do you gain by mounts that waypoints or other travel mechanisms don't provide? Absolutely nothing unless you are a mount collector.
    This is a good post.

However, mounts could be used in specific areas. Something like a mounted-combat PvP thing. But outside in the "open world" they dont add anything.
    I hope we do not get mounts, there will already be a very extensive list of waypoints for instant travel to get anywhere fast if you really need to. And that last bit can just be done running.

A lot of that is predicated on the player wanting to explore. Some players don't give two flips about exploration, they want to reach point A with little fuss. It isn't bad design to have mounts in an MMO, per se. It would be bad design if mounts conflicted with the clarity &/or singular focus in-game.

I feel like most don't actually know how DD/Ts work at all. /rolleyes

Quote Originally Posted by Enjeh View Post
    Well they could ad some later on. Personally after the 100'th time running through the same area I don't really care about the scenery anymore and just want to go to whatever specific area Im heading to, so mounts would be nice by that time.
    you won't need mounts for that in gw2 with the waypoint system.

mounts were/are of no use in gw1 and it works fine even now, and i personaly see no reasons as of why they should be implemented in gw2. as for cosmetics, you'll get pets and all.

not to mention that if they were to implement them, they would have to be able to carry players from any race, which basically forces them to be huge enough to carry norns/charrs. (and only bookahs would want to make an asura ride some sort of poney when they get to use golems)

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    A lot of that is predicated on the player wanting to explore. Some players don't give two flips about exploration, they want to reach point A with little fuss. It isn't bad design to have mounts in an MMO, per se. It would be bad design if mounts conflicted with the clarity &/or singular focus in-game.
    Agreed. A friend of mine, who although is still very excited, was extremely put off by the fact that there wouldn't be any flying mounts. His reasoning is that he wants to explore the world better and be able to fly hundreds of feet above the awesome environments. While I don't quite agree that there should be flying mounts, I absolutely adore land mounts. Collecting them, getting achievements, that whole gig.

I think A-Net could make some very unique mount models as well as influence them with their own lore. I earlier heard the yogscast mention in one of their gameplay videos that they wish Dolyaks could be mounts, which I thought sounded like a fantastic idea.

I think that if they did make them, they'd have to make the speed boost you got from them very similar if not dead on with run speed. This shouldn't be too difficult, considering run speed is already quite fast. I'm thinking add mounts to PvE servers, but don't use them in WvWvW/Hot Join maps. Taking them to PvP would be going too far.

What's the harm in giving PvErs some better methods of exploration? Not to mention it would open up a whole new degree of creativity for A Net.

I wouldn't expect Anet to add that many mounts In GW2 since you can just teleport to most places. I'm assuming you can teleport to most places.

mounts = smaller world, flying mounts = no pvp

so I m 100% happy without them

Quote Originally Posted by Hibiki View Post
    flying mounts = no pvp
    I am not sure it is possible to just brawl in the open. I think all PVP happens in The Mists/Battle Isles.

I don't give a flip about PVP so I might be wrong, haha. But yea, I haven't seen anything where people just brawl in the middle of Queensdale.