Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Butosai View Post
    hybrid tax on a warrior? you must be thinking of a different game
    You said it. Paladin in WoW to Sith Warrior in swtor. Gotta have me that gap closer and snare thankee kindly :P

Vengeance dps so far seems to be pretty decent, and our juggy tank isnt exactly having threat issues or going splat and is easy to heal. I want to try out Rage spec for pvp but we raid pretty random days so I dont want to get caught out, plus changing bars and keybinds atm is time consuming and a pain. Easier to just go vengeance pvp spec.

Just wish theyd fix the bugs and the targeting problems :/

The strongest advanced class is the one being played correctly. I've seen all sorts of ACs top the warzone damage meters. For me personally I play a rage/Annihilation marauder and consistently top the damage done numbers. I do get beat occasionally but only by one other marauder on the server. Valor rank 62 for those wondering I'm not posting from level 20s experience.

It truly comes down to how well you play the class. Any AC can beat another if the two players are of equal skill.

My assassin (Deception) feels like it does a good amount of damage in Flashpoints. Haven't been able to check in an Op since I haven't been in one yet. But I feel that Assassin damage is pretty decent right now (lol@nocombatlogs). That said, I feel like I get rocked by Snipers and Marauders.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    That can't be done when PvE is competitive.
    1) It's not in TOR
    2) I played a Frost Mage and a Feral Druid in TBC (both Cat and Bear) and kicked ass with both despite them being ridiculously looked down on specs.

Skill>class imbalance for the most part. The differences are in the 5%, the difference you can make with skill are ridiculously higher than that, even in a completely hardcore environment.

OT: Without combat logs, I'll doubt you'll get a real answer.
    Last edited by Vrachara; 2012-02-24 at 05:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Well, it's kinda hard to tell, considering we don't have any kind of meter at all. You'd have to ask someone who has all classes to max level, and I don't think there's someone like that on live yet.

Personally I'm playing a DPS Commando, and I'm loving it. People tell me that Commandos are bad and weak, but I'm not seeing it.
    who ever told you that is a troll, commando is the most OP class. Maybe not DPS wise but it is a cross of hunter offense and paladin defense (kite kite kite, oh I took damage, good thing I wear heavy armor and have *HEAL* kite kite kite.) Commando can pretty much solo anything right from the get go.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaja View Post
    Very hard to tell but I find Juggernaut very capable of killing things quickly (whether others are quicker I don't know).

I know there will always be 1 class doing more DPS but without parses we will not be able to tell. I just hope that all AC's end up on similar damage and not huge gaps. Oh and no pure DPS class does not mean it does more than a Hybrid who chose DPS. The advantage of pure DPS is that you never have to Tank / Heal not that you do more damage.

In the end why do you want to play the FOTM class at launch when everyone knows at end game adjustments will be made because they is bound to be something OP around Play whichever you enjoy the most
    LOL WHAT?! The 'advantage' of playing a pure is that you never have to tank or heal?? Pretty sure that's a DISadvantage. And yes pures should do more damage or get great buffs to compensate which they sort of do. Snipers as people are finding out do the most damage when they're fully geared. Example a War Hero Sniper will drop anyone in a few seconds. And they get that amazing giant bubble that reduces damage taken by 20%. And when I say giant I mean giant.

And no all ACs shouldn't end up on similar damage. A Juggernaut and Powertech for example should deal no where near the damage their counterparts do.

Deleted
    nope.

My disadvantage as a powertech is i'm quite squishy, and i have no longform cc so for hardmodes or operworld pvp i'm at a disadvantage.
    Also try gearing two specs for nightmare raids, that is certainly a disadvantage to my time and wallet.

Despite what people "feel" in this thread, there are several balance issues in end game PvE.

While there is no "hybrid tax" the 2 classes that are pure DPS are by far the most desirable to bring for the DPS spot (marauder/sentinel and sniper/gunslinger).

why?
    Marauders and Sentinels have bloodlust, but it's the Burning Crusade version of bloodlust (it affects your party, but there is no shared CD). So a raid stacking Mauraders can pop bloodlust after bloodlust after bloodlust.

Snipers and Gunslingers get a Power Word Barrier that reduces the damage taken by everyone stacked inside. They also do not share CD, so it's like having a raid with the Disc priest CD's (which is bad to stack 1 type of healer) coming from a DPS (which you can stack all you want).

Mercs and Sorc probably still have viability because of their superior AoE and multidot skills,
    but
    Juggernauts CLEARLY do less damage than a Marader in every situation, and they don't bring anything unique.

Operatives suffer the same problems Feral Druids do: they are very reliant on backstabbing, and there are some fights you just can't backstab. While everyone cries that Mangle rotation is 3-5% DPS loss, the replacement for backstab in SWTOR is a MUCH BIGGER DPS loss.

Furthermore Juggernauts are clearly the worse tank for threat in this game, which still matters atm.

It then becomes very clear that there is 1 superior raid comp:
    Powertech tank
    Assasin tank/OS DPS
    Assasin tank/OS DPS
    Sniper/Maurader
    Sniper/Maurader
    Sniper/Maurader
    Sniper/Maurader
    Sniper/Maurader
    Sniper/Maurader
    Sniper/Maurader
    Arsenal merc (to bring sunder armor)
    Madness Sorc/OS heals
    Sorc Healer
    Operative Healer
    Sorc Healer/Operative healer
    Merc Healer
    Last edited by Windry; 2012-02-24 at 05:09 PM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Morros View Post
    You've never played a Commando then. We are not squishy against melee, and that's assuming melee even has a chance to get into melee range. Maybe the 1-2 seconds we're stunned/dazed from Leap/Charge, but Concussion Charge or Stock Strike + Cryo Grenade takes care of that. Not to mention the heavy armor plus self heals, I can't honestly tell you I've ever lost a 1 on 1 fight, of course, it's hard to find a 1 on 1 fight, Sorcs like to travel in packs.
    I have played a merc at lower levels (37) and have gone against TM/Galv spammers plenty.... to me (as mele) they are by far the easiest ranged class to kill. Interrupts and 80% of their DPS is dead. They are too stationary; they dont have enough tools to fight on the run - other specs (heals/dot) are not so bad... but the TM/Galv spam is an easy target for me as mele.

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid1 View Post
    It truly comes down to how well you play the class. Any AC can beat another if the two players are of equal skill.
    Unfortunately just not true. Hybrid Sage's do way more damage in a WZ than does my SS slinger, and my SS is "supposed" to be the top dps in the game. Sorcs and sages can spec for massive massive dps, and heal themselves, doing beaucoup damage in a single warzone. I like playing my SS, those huge crits back to back to back are fun, but you'll do more damage as a sage.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tenzing21 View Post
    Unfortunately just not true. Hybrid Sage's do way more damage in a WZ than does my SS slinger, and my SS is "supposed" to be the top dps in the game. Sorcs and sages can spec for massive massive dps, and heal themselves, doing beaucoup damage in a single warzone. I like playing my SS, those huge crits back to back to back are fun, but you'll do more damage as a sage.
    I'd like to see where it was written that a SS is "supposed" to be top dps... everything I've ever seen was that all classes would be "viable".. now the delivery is separate; but thats the theory.

I play a sage (and sent) and they are not a burst class... I can put out some damage but half of my DPS is dots with another chunk thats channeled/casted. I do a lot of dps overall in WZ's because I dot everything that moves and those that dont get dotted twice. The snipes that I've faced can put out some big hits - bigger than I have even with crits on my "burst" abilities. Sorc is more like a shadowpriest if you've wow'd before than a bursty class like a mage.

Unfortunately not true, I shred Sages with my Mara and I shred Maras with my Sage.......If I were to choose who would win this battle between the two equally geared, I may lean towards Mara, Top damage in WZ does not equate to most kills nor completing the mission effectively, It may mean you chose the weaker geared opponents and ranged rarely has to move unless forced to. I have found I can destroy any class in WZ and pull 400k damage if the other team is terrible and under geared with my Marauder who is full Battlemaster. I highly doubt theres a way to really know for sure since so many things make the difference. With my Mara, A good sniper class can shred me more than any other it seems.

source on the bolded?

And warzones aren't a good measure of DPS since a class capable of aoe can probably do more dmg than a single target burst class without even trying

Quote Originally Posted by Cronhour View Post
    nope.

My disadvantage as a powertech is i'm quite squishy, and i have no longform cc so for hardmodes or operworld pvp i'm at a disadvantage.
    Also try gearing two specs for nightmare raids, that is certainly a disadvantage to my time and wallet.
    ROFL

That's why any top guild takes a PT/Vanguard tank over the other 2 right?

Deleted
    Who cares whats the strongest DPS class is...

Play what you like to play not because it does the most damage.

I mean are you really gonna pat yourself on the back for doing the most damage if your class by default does the most damage and therefor it had nothing to do with you playing it?!?!?

/sigh @ these type of players

Quote Originally Posted by Hellprank View Post
    All i can say is that Jedi Shadow aint the best dps, at lvl 25 i struggle abit killing monsters alone
    end game isn't level 25.

Plus my Marauder RUINS at level 45, but I know that's all subject to change.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Quote Originally Posted by Windry View Post
    Despite what people "feel" in this thread, there are several balance issues in end game PvE.

While there is no "hybrid tax" the 2 classes that are pure DPS are by far the most desirable to bring for the DPS spot (marauder/sentinel and sniper/gunslinger).

why?
    Marauders and Sentinels have bloodlust, but it's the Burning Crusade version of bloodlust (it affects your party, but there is no shared CD). So a raid stacking Mauraders can pop bloodlust after bloodlust after bloodlust.

Snipers and Gunslingers get a Power Word Barrier that reduces the damage taken by everyone stacked inside. They also do not share CD, so it's like having a raid with the Disc priest CD's (which is bad to stack 1 type of healer) coming from a DPS (which you can stack all you want).

Mercs and Sorc probably still have viability because of their superior AoE and multidot skills,
    but
    Juggernauts CLEARLY do less damage than a Marader in every situation, and they don't bring anything unique.

Operatives suffer the same problems Feral Druids do: they are very reliant on backstabbing, and there are some fights you just can't backstab. While everyone cries that Mangle rotation is 3-5% DPS loss, the replacement for backstab in SWTOR is a MUCH BIGGER DPS loss.

Furthermore Juggernauts are clearly the worse tank for threat in this game, which still matters atm.

It then becomes very clear that there is 1 superior raid comp:
    Powertech tank
    Assasin tank/OS DPS
    Assasin tank/OS DPS
    Sniper/Maurader
    Sniper/Maurader
    Sniper/Maurader
    Sniper/Maurader
    Sniper/Maurader
    Sniper/Maurader
    Sniper/Maurader
    Arsenal merc (to bring sunder armor)
    Madness Sorc/OS heals
    Sorc Healer
    Operative Healer
    Sorc Healer/Operative healer
    Merc Healer
    And yet despite all that operations are being completed without that kind of ridiculous raid comp. Even Nightmare modes. Keep that kind of elitism in the WoW thread please. Its not needed in swtor where every class does competitive dps, threat, and healing.

Juggernaut threat is only low on multi-pack pulls, and even then those kinds of pulls are really easy to aoe/single target down, that only the initial pull would be a problem to any non-tank class, the damage these mobs put out is irrelevant when it can be healed ridiculously easy. Juggernaut DPS.....seriously. How can you tell the difference between Marauders and Juggernauts at this point?

All this is irrelevant with a small guild where you don't have one of these classes you seem to think is "superior" anyways. Rather raid with people who aren't going to bench someone just because of rumors and here-say about a certain classes dps/threat or healing thanks.

There is no damagemeter - but there is simulation.

Simulation says (all BiS Gear):

Sage DPS -> roughly around 1100-1300 dps
    Commando DPS -> roughly around 1500 dps

Most other specs are not having a full simulation yet. It is generally seen, though:

- Range is in the current content superior to Melee (and Melee without gap-closer are especially problematic).
    - Gunslingers are wanted for the combination of their dmgavoid-thingy together with good damage
    - Commando DPS are wanted for their stacking (!) debuff (it does not stack additive, but at least multiplicative)
    - Sentinel's are wanted because of their "heroism-like" buff
    Somebody got a Dark Intent and a Focus Magic for Tarecgosa and me? ;-)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodchargedIllidan View Post
    ROFL

That's why any top guild takes a PT/Vanguard tank over the other 2 right?
    Whats the thread title again? strongest DPS advanced classes. As a powertech who was a tank but is now full PVE DPs specced I am incrediblely squishy compared to our dps marauders for example. But then I kick out more dps than them in a boss fight, probably something to do with my tech critical chance being 41% unbuffed.

NB. It seems I didn't quote in my previous post but if it's ambiguous the post you quoted was replying to the previous post that said none pure DPS AC's should pull less damage than pure DPs AC's.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pionock View Post
    For once, it would be nice if people stopped caring about the meters and just worked with their group to take down whatever boss is there while playing the class they enjoyed. Kinda why I wish there were support classes in WoW, and a need for them in raid groups.
    If it weren't for the fairly strikt Enrage timers I'd agree.

But DPS is one of the few endgame challenges, so it is very important.

Based on what I know and various discussions surrounding this topic I can state:

Top DPS:
    -Commando/Mercenary
    -Sentinel/Marauder
    -Gunslinger/Sniper

Weak DPS
    -Vigilance/Vengeance Guardians
    -Scoundrel/Operatives

No idea about the other class/specs.

---------- Post added 2012-03-09 at 06:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ap0calypse View Post
    And yet despite all that operations are being completed without that kind of ridiculous raid comp. Even Nightmare modes. Keep that kind of elitism in the WoW thread please. Its not needed in swtor where every class does competitive dps, threat, and healing.

Juggernaut threat is only low on multi-pack pulls, and even then those kinds of pulls are really easy to aoe/single target down, that only the initial pull would be a problem to any non-tank class, the damage these mobs put out is irrelevant when it can be healed ridiculously easy. Juggernaut DPS.....seriously. How can you tell the difference between Marauders and Juggernauts at this point?

All this is irrelevant with a small guild where you don't have one of these classes you seem to think is "superior" anyways. Rather raid with people who aren't going to bench someone just because of rumors and here-say about a certain classes dps/threat or healing thanks.
    Why are you so upset about his post?

This thread is explicitly about PvE DPS performance. No one is telling you you're bad or that your raid will fail etc. Play any way you like and that works for you.

But if you want to know what classes are best in PvE, those aforementioned are the primary contenders.