Thread: Spriest Opener?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Spriest Opener?

Hey guys, I've read a few spriest guides that have different openers. So I was wondering what is the proper opening?

Thanks!

Deleted
    I'm pretty sure that if you take a look in this forum you'll find what you're looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Eldarc View Post
    I'm pretty sure that if you take a look in this forum you'll find what you're looking for
    I have looked in this forum and there seem to be different openers, the guide stickied at the top says start with SW:P and mind flay, but videos I've watched of pros start with VT. Don't know why you waste your time and mine by posting a response like this.

mind flay to 5 stacks and get archangel. then mind spike twice, mind blast, and dot. there.

i usually stack my dots mind flay to 5 stacks mind blast refresh stacks mind spike mind spike rinse and repeat. the mindflay and dot refresh when the dots are about to come off the target.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler

If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Kikazz View Post
    i usually stack my dots mind flay to 5 stacks mind blast refresh stacks mind spike mind spike rinse and repeat. the mindflay and dot refresh when the dots are about to come off the target.
    I may be misunderstanding what you said, but mind spike will remove your shadow dots. Please correct me if I read it wrong.

If you are using the mind spike rotation with shadow fiend the opener should be prepot, precast vt, mind flay to 5, mind blast, then the mind spike rotation you pick to use. After that either stack your flays then dot or just dot if you flay during your ms rotation.

I usually go with VT->SW:P, gcd, Mind Blast -> Devouring plague, gcd, mind flay for a little bit then once the dots are like halfway through pop arch and trinket into a mind blast and spam mind spike a few times and mind blast then restack dots and mind blast again.

my understanding(this is from forums, im rarely offspec spriest) is people who dot up before getting empowered shadows are doing it because they are running with t12 and are afraid of rng gods not giving them an orb, i think it was always less possible dps than waiting for empowered shadows but it was more reliable. If you have t13 i believe kilee's guide is the up to date rotation and if you don't have t13 it still works just might have to add more flays til you get an orb. just make sure you have an orb before casting first mindblast.

edit: thats for dot style, burning at start is different
    Last edited by kakle; 2012-02-24 at 05:07 AM.

i'm in 378 gear ( no t13 or t12)

Galaktic, the opener I use is as follow: vt, sw, shadowfiend, mind flay until you get 1 orb (but atleast 5 mind flay casts for 5x evangalism for 10% increased dot dmg). Cast mind blast to activate mastery, redot. After redotting, use archangel and keep up normal rotation after that.

1 second before pull: Prepot, start casting VT

On Pull, SW:P - > Sfiend. If you need to keep running use DP here.

Mindflay, Clip after 2 ticks twice, thise should give you 5 stacks

Mind blast if orb, else keep mind flaying.

after mindblast reapply VT / DP, then Archangel.

Standard dot priorities after archangel

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hikamiro View Post
    1 second before pull: Prepot, start casting VT

On Pull, SW:P - > Sfiend. If you need to keep running use DP here.

Mindflay, Clip after 2 ticks twice, thise should give you 5 stacks

Mind blast if orb, else keep mind flaying.

after mindblast reapply VT / DP, then Archangel.

Standard dot priorities after archangel
    I'm no expert, but this is what I do too. I sometimes delay SF after MB if power torrent didn't proc right at the start.

Deleted
    Depends if you have the 4set or not I spose :3

My opening goes like this: Prepot, VT, SW, Flay till x5 stacks, AA, MB(regardless of orbs), MSx3(or4), MB, MSx4, MB then normal rotation :3 Thats with the 4set though.
    A video was uploaded from Koiile not too long ago. Am trying to stick to that and would recommend anyone else to do the same.
    Last edited by mmoc771d918182; 2012-02-24 at 07:16 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jomu View Post
    Depends if you have the 4set or not I spose :3

My opening goes like this: Prepot, VT, SW, Flay till x5 stacks, AA, MB(regardless of orbs), MSx3(or4), MB, MSx4, MB then normal rotation :3 Thats with the 4set though.
    A video was uploaded from Koiile not too long ago. Am trying to stick to that and would recommend anyone else to do the same.
    I guess you mean pain rather than death

If i have DI i will VT+SW: P + 2 clipped flays to help the warlock get a few stacks for his burst, if not then just a sw: p and 2 clipped flays in the hope of an orb before popping AA, MB if orb up, if not then into MS x3, flay clipped till 3 orb, MSx5 (velocity) flay clipped till 3 orb then MB, then i can usually get my dots up while velocity is still up (obv all with a prepot)

Most openers don't net much difference in DPS, and as you can see there are a lot of differences. Everything I remember reading from the simcraft posts was that you should not wait for an orb to cast MB, and that opening with DoTs (w/o empowered shadows) was a higher DPS starter due to potential orb droughts. It just wasn't worth it to wait.

I have four piece T13, so my opener is the MS/MB spam rotation, but prior to that I was using the following:

VT, DP and SWP, SF (prepot and Power Torrent still up), MF2 x 2, AA, MB....then MF until DoTs need refreshing or MB is off CD, i.e. normal maintenance rotation at that point.

It's a simple straightforward opener that always worked well for me before T13 four piece. BTW, oh man do I love that peak burst from the MS/MB rotation. With T13 four set I'm doing the following:

MF2 x 2, AA, MB, SF, MS x 3, MF2, MB, MS x 3, MF2, MB, VT, DP, SWP, MB or MF2 if MB still on CD. It works so smoothly for me with the MF2 in there and I can get going right into my normal rotation w/o having to flay for evangelism stacks afterwards AND it isn't so bad for the lock giving me DI. I love it. Thank you Kilee for posting all the awesome info on H2P related to the tier 13 set bonus.
    Last edited by Sakamae; 2012-02-24 at 09:28 PM.

Deleted
    with 4p t13:

pre pot > vt pre-cast>mfx2>mfx3>aa>ms>ms>sf>mb(3orbs)>ms(3orbs)>ms(3orbs)>ms(3orb)>mb(3orbs)>ms(3orbs)>ms(3 orbs)>vt>sw;p>dp>volcanic potions end here>mb(3orbs)>mfx5(rebuild evangelion)>normal rotation

without:

pre pot>vt pre-cast>sw;p>dp>mfx5 (or more, you need to get atleast one orb)>mb>asap redot dp>redot vt when ending(mf if you have time)>normal rotation

Quote Originally Posted by blgns View Post
    without:

pre pot>vt pre-cast>sw;p>dp>mfx5 (or more, you need to get atleast one orb)>mb>asap redot dp>redot vt when ending(mf if you have time)>normal rotation
    You want to weave in AA/SF asap to alow them off CD faster.
    After casting the orbed MB, recast DP and VT and go with AA while continueing your normal rotation, you don't want to refresh your dots to close to AA due to MF stacks and lost time casting MF/MB which are the spells that will gain anything from AA.
    Try to cast your SF asap to. I prefer casting it after the SW: P in the beginning as this gives me three instant cast globals, the last two of them (DP and SF) should be spent moving in order to get in position and proc a Shadowy Apparition.

without 4t13, I used:

prepot
    precast VT(if precastable, if not skip it)
    SW:P
    fiend
    flay to 5stacks(and hopefully and orb)
    mind blast
    VT/DP
    archangel
    continue normal rotation

with 4t13
    prepot
    flay to 5 stacks
    fiend + AA macro
    blast/spike/spike/spike/flay/repeat
    when fiend is gone, put up dots and do normal rotation

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by waat View Post
    with 4t13
    prepot
    flay to 5 stacks
    fiend + AA macro
    blast/spike/spike/spike/flay/repeat
    when fiend is gone, put up dots and do normal rotation
    With t13 there is no need to flay for 5 stacks because the second your fiend does dmg you get 3 orbs. Just fiend, pop wings, spike/blast and dot when your wings run out. Flay is only good to put up dots and the buff will run out before your wings do anyway.