Page 1 of 14
... LastLast
    Deleted

Character movement - gliding effect?

Whenever I watch GW2 footage I can't help but notice the weird character movement at times. It almost looks like the characters "gilde" over the surface, rather than walk since the steps they take seem smaller than the distances covered by their actual movement.

On the other hand it does make things move very fluently...it just looks weird, especially when a character suddenly changes direction.

I was just wondering if I was the only one who noticed it and was bothered by it.

Deleted
    nope. i hope this will be one of the next steps of polishing in the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's mainly a Norn problem. Due to their huge stride, if you accurate depicted a Norn running, they would either be twice as fast as other races, or would walk at other races running speeds.

He's most likely referring to the problem where characters can change direction of movement instantly (i.e. from "forward" to "forward and to the left") but character takes a while to turn into desired direction.

This is present with all races.

The Charr sometimes look as they are doing the moonwalk.

I've noticed this as well, especially when strafing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have noticed this too. This is probably one of the biggest issues I have. Unfortunately you tend to see this in F2P/Low quality mmos. I am in no way insinuating anything about GW2, just saying it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't forget, beta is beta and there is still quite a while for this to get worked out before the game is released. Plus, did they even say how old that build was? Either way, doesn't bother me.

I only noticed this on Norns, to be honest. All footage of humans and Charr seemed fine :P

I'm sure they'll patch it!

My biggest pet peeve in games. No matter how fun, I still get a sour taste from poor running/strafing animations.

I definitely noticed it, and it's something that, if I'm beta, I intend to harp on about in the forums pretty much endlessly. Smooth animations is an absolute must, it seriously is probably the most easily overlooked thing that can make an MMO that could be promising come off as shoddy.

Such an issue could seriously hurt the game. Games need tight controls, and that gliding effect isn't characteristic of such.

15+ Year Old Account
    This is something that could be annoying at first, but I can get used to it down the road. I prefer running animations to look decent, and not like some characters run as if they have something up their rear ends.
    DISCLAIMER: Reader discretion advised. The above post is entirely fictional and purely for entertainment purposes only. Any similarities to real life events, animals, humans, persons, politicians, or any other form of entity, living, dead or in any other state of existence, is purely coincidental. The author cannot and will not be held accountable for such similarities or any other parallels that are imagined and/or drawn by you, the reader, between the above fictional work and real life events.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually like the moonwalk bug. BILLY JEAN IS NOT MY LOVER, SHE'S JUST A CHARR...

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm also worried about the character animations. It's my one major concern. If I get into beta I will HOUND ANet with messages to fix the running / jumping animations.

15+ Year Old Account
    Anyone got a vid clip of it? Because I haven't noticed it at all...

10+ Year Old Account
    I tried looking for this specifically, but I never saw this. And I looked hard.

The closest it ever got was when a player had movespeed increases.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    It happened often when the player tapped directions quickly to move just a little bit. Or am I thinking of something else other than what the OP is talking about.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    It happened often when the player tapped directions quickly to move just a little bit. Or am I thinking of something else other than what the OP is talking about.

happens a lot here

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    happens a lot here
    Video posted: Sep 5, 2011

It looks to me like it was fixed by the press beta.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.