Trying to do BGs on a 40s Hunter...

Hey, first let me say that I don't usually PvP a whole lot, and not really at max level. Please don't flame or troll me, cuz honestly I see enough trash-talking in BGs.

Anyway, I bought some heirlooms for my 42 Hunter (not PvP ones) and decided I didn't want to quest or dungeon, so I figured I'd run some BGs just to mix it up (I'm on a PvE server). I always pick AB, since I just like the size of it. Not too big, anyway. I usually am top or top 3 in damage/kills, and I'm usually pursuing objectives, trying to stay with a couple others for support.

But winning just seems hopeless to me. After waiting 15 minutes each, I did about 5 ABs without even coming CLOSE to victory. Most of the horde are doing twice as much damage as us, have twice as many rogues (usually travelling in pairs, so if they get to you, you die in about 1 second). It seems no matter how many flares I throw out, I never find one before they find me. Worse yet, it seems there's absolutely no coordination or objective seeking. We have 8 alliance just sitting around at the stables while we only have 1-2 points. Then, a group of 4-5 horde come up to stables and wipe out all 8 of them easily, so the one point that's over-guarded we can't even defend.

It's like... not even fun to try, and then we have everybody trash talking and calling them retards while they are being just as useless.

I know I am just one person, but how can I make a difference in our success? Or should I just not bother with PvP at all?

It's just really discouraging. It seems every time I attempt to give PvP a shot, it's all failure. I want to enjoy it, but is the game purposely putting me in a group that's more likely to fail? (okay, that's conspiracy theory stuff)

Groups are RNG. So RNG is RNG.

Well, finally got to my 8th (or was it ninth?) AB, and we finally win.

The difference? We actually managed to kill them.

Sure, a lot of it is strategy and forming proper defenses and offenses, but ultimate if your team cannot kill the enemy, you will lose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    Hey, first let me say that I don't usually PvP a whole lot, and not really at max level. Please don't flame or troll me, cuz honestly I see enough trash-talking in BGs.

Anyway, I bought some heirlooms for my 42 Hunter (not PvP ones) and decided I didn't want to quest or dungeon, so I figured I'd run some BGs just to mix it up (I'm on a PvE server). I always pick AB, since I just like the size of it. Not too big, anyway. I usually am top or top 3 in damage/kills, and I'm usually pursuing objectives, trying to stay with a couple others for support.

But winning just seems hopeless to me. After waiting 15 minutes each, I did about 5 ABs without even coming CLOSE to victory. Most of the horde are doing twice as much damage as us, have twice as many rogues (usually travelling in pairs, so if they get to you, you die in about 1 second). It seems no matter how many flares I throw out, I never find one before they find me. Worse yet, it seems there's absolutely no coordination or objective seeking. We have 8 alliance just sitting around at the stables while we only have 1-2 points. Then, a group of 4-5 horde come up to stables and wipe out all 8 of them easily, so the one point that's over-guarded we can't even defend.

It's like... not even fun to try, and then we have everybody trash talking and calling them retards while they are being just as useless.

I know I am just one person, but how can I make a difference in our success? Or should I just not bother with PvP at all?

It's just really discouraging. It seems every time I attempt to give PvP a shot, it's all failure. I want to enjoy it, but is the game purposely putting me in a group that's more likely to fail? (okay, that's conspiracy theory stuff)
    Unfortunately you're going to get a lot of this. And Horde is no better than Alliance, it all boils down to luck. One thing I've found making casual pvp tolerable is to bring friends. Even if you can't win with your own group (and you won't all the time), it makes it less about 'why can't we win' than just hanging out with people you like.

Are you using detect hidden? From what i remember from leveling my 2 hunters, rogue would typically get me down to 10% in a stunlock before you can kite them to death over a few seconds.

stand in your flare, go BM, you can stand in your flare forever, use detect hidden, dont leave flare location, drop your traps under you, your pet will do a lot of damage and most rogues want easy kills, so if you make it difficult for them or more difficult than one of your teammates, they will go after your teammates instead.

Even with flares up, rogues can shadowstep into it and get an opener b4 they r revealed. Same with druids feral charge. Try and stand on ur traps and track hidden as Strakha said. Feign death will make them untarget u, giving u a second at least to attempt ur next move. also its nice to have a pet ( i think most bird pets have this ) that will disarm rogues, making them useless for a while as u kite and kill them.

Yeah, my flare has been useless. No matter where I place it, I think I've detected a rogue once.

And it's not even stunlock that's the problem. It's literally instant death. I was standing on my flare, suddenly 2 rogues are shadowstepped onto me, and I'm dead literally the instant I realize I'm being hit.

How can I be skilled enough to beat those rogues?

The main problem is the ability placement of the classes and the horribly imbalanced scaling. Certain classes get overpowered undertuned/overtuned abilities at certain levels and it makes them gods for that bracket. Blizzard is working on fixing it for MoP, we will see how that goes...

Hunters counter everything but rogues. Rogues counter everything but priests. Priests can't do shit but bubble.

The three classes make low level PvP for any other class absolutely terrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

It would help if we had a healer every now and again. Been doing a few more, about 2 wins, 13 losses. Taking "random" a bit too far. You sure certain battlegroups don't just have one side that's better?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wait till you get into the bracket where DK's start joining. at that point I would RDF or quest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hunters are pretty much autowin until the 60s at minimum. Trinket out of Cheap Shot, disengage, and you've won. You should really be human if you plan on doing BGs below level 70. They're the only ones with a 2 minute trinket.

---------- Post added 2012-02-25 at 09:57 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Krunsh View Post
    Wait till you get into the bracket where DK's start joining. at that point I would RDF or quest.
    Hunters shit on DKs for a long, long time. Force the Death Grip, disengage, and you've won.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Quote Originally Posted by Krunsh View Post
    Yeah, the best time I had doing BGs was when I leveled my DK. I did quite a few, I guess it's nice being overpowered.

But I'm pretty confident I can take a DK. I've been getting better with my traps and disengaging.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    Yeah, the best time I had doing BGs was when I leveled my DK. I did quite a few, I guess it's nice being overpowered.

But I'm pretty confident I can take a DK. I've been getting better with my traps and disengaging.
    I believe it's possible to counter Death Grip with Feign Death, and you can also soft-counter spellcasts by feigning during a cast. Hunters are really pretty awesome once you figure out how to use all your buttons right.

They're a lot like ranged rogues.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    I believe it's possible to counter Death Grip with Feign Death, and you can also soft-counter spellcasts by feigning during a cast. Hunters are really pretty awesome once you figure out how to use all your buttons right.

They're a lot like ranged rogues.
    Like I said, I know I'm getting better at it. And by looking at the results of the battle afterwards, I can clearly see that I'm pulling my weight. We just have so many people who seem to do barely anything. And then I fight a rogue.