Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don't get that excited now.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

2 months of beta, some setup stuff in May, and game in June. That's my predictions.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Don't get that excited now.
    Now that I saw those game videos and read up about it, I can't actually patiently wait for some months =(

Quote Originally Posted by Ethas View Post
    Now that I saw those game videos and read up about it, I can't actually patiently wait for some months =(
    Go into cryostasis and wait out the long months.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Ye but then I actually risky to wake up in 2500 year and will not be able launch GW2 at all

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    *looks at his avatar*

I see what you did there. Of course, that happened to Cartman, not Butters...
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Meh I got my info in I almost always get into them so I will be kinda surprised if I don't get into this one.

This sounds awfully familiar to another big MMO that was just recently released, but we all know how bad that game turned out to be. That being said GW2 looks miles better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
    This sounds awfully familiar to another big MMO that was just recently released, but we all know how bad that game turned out to be. That being said GW2 looks miles better.
    We've been over this... SWTOR took years to get that many people in the beta, despite the fact that Star Wars is a very widely recognized and beloved IP. ><

Please don't bring it up again!

Quote Originally Posted by Ethas View Post
    do like cartman, find a hill and bury yourself in the snow near a tree.

Ask Warhammer and Conan how their impressive beta signups faired for them :P

People see free, and dive right in. Doesn't really take much to fill out a form.

I wonder how many of these Beta testers will actually test the game instead of just being the first to be able to play new game content?
    Really getting sick of new games being released with obvious bugs and the public beta has been out for months.

To the lucky people that get in, good luck. Just remember you are there as a Beta Tester and not just a game player that can scream out "First"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fangless View Post
    Ask Warhammer and Conan how their impressive beta signups faired for them :P

People see free, and dive right in. Doesn't really take much to fill out a form.
    I don't think that's a fair comparison. Didn't both of those games spend a lot of times TALKING about how great their game would be, claiming to be WoW killers all the while, only to completely fall short of expectations?

ANet has been showing their gameplay, and so far... meeting expectations, and working hard to surpass them. It's been in development for 5 years - rivaling how long WoW was in development.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    That's probably a reason why people stick around terrible MMOs for so long. They keep hoping that something will change for the better, or hope the developers will listen to their pleas. The funny thing is whenever a request is selected and implemented into an MMO that was presented by the player, it's usually the most idiotic suggestion made yet. For example WoW players beg Blizzard for Paladin fixes; doesn't happen. However, when 5 people at Blizzcon remind Blizzard about the TBC Pandaren idea, then Blizzard's all over that shit!

The fact is, games rarely change by logical player suggestion, and 90% of the time, most suggestions get ignored.
    Companies are going to make the game the way they want, and there's little anyone can do to change that. So if a game sucks, stop playing it, or you could always keep trying to "change" the game over and over again...what's the definition of that again?

Oh yeah...insanity.
    If enough people want a change, ANet might just change it. Since you'll probably want an example see http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/User_...roes_in_PvE.3F

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaikou View Post
    Well this thread goes to show that the GW2 guys know how to market their game.

Think about it. The hype has been building for GW2 for *months*, and suddenly there's a "48 hour only" beta signup. So every single person who has the slightest interest in GW2 flocks to signup, and it hits 1 million signups in that ~48 hour period. Now their marketing guys get to enjoy inflated hype from the community spreading the info that GW2 gained a million signups in 48 hours. Omitting the fact that those advertised 48 hours were the only possible time you could have signed up.

I'm not trying to say the game will be a huge flop or anything, and I'm excited for it myself. But I know a thing or two about marketing and this was a textbook marketing stunt, and really should not be used to predict the success of the game.

SWtoR would have probably seen the exact same had they done the "limited time offer 48 hour beta signup" thing.

It's a smart marketing stunt too. Rather than taking direct action, they simply influence the community into making a poor analysis and the hype automatically builds.

You can bet "1 million signups in 48 hours" is going to become a staple in the hype machine for GW2, just as the marketing guys intended.
    All beta tests are marketing stunts. A company that puts its game into a beta for the public has most of its bugs and changes already sorted. The most you get from a beta test is hype about the game (even with an NDA, this actually makes it even more juicy) and perhaps a few niche bugs, which are always nice to find out about before launch.

Dont get me wrong sometimes there is a glaring problem that just went past the devs, but a lot more often than not this is not the case. The companies do this for hype and very little else.