Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Talking Has anyone noticed this in their WoW Account?

I found this on my account, under the security settings

Anyone else notice it?
    Australian Oceanic Multi Class Veteran of the Burning Crusade Wars!
    Twitter: @Romiretv
    Youtube: RomireTv
    Twitchy: My Twitch

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Romire View Post
    I found this on my account, under the security settings

Anyone else notice it?
    Good find. They were talking about adding this option so you had the choice of having the authenticator pop up everytime instead of using their IP tracking.
    Last edited by Pejo; 2012-02-26 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Removed image

10+ Year Old Account
    yes, people complained that you didn't have to enter your authenticator every time (odd thing i know) so blizzard gave you the option.

Its about time, its pretty sad I can pull out my SSD in a caddy tray, drive to someone's house and shove it an another computer* and launch wow from it with nary a complaint. After 2 or 3 logins it finally asks for the authenticator...sorry but by then if its not you your account has been stripped naked.

The following apply to my firsthand experience using it at a relative's place:
    *In another state on another slash /8 (for the non-technical: its a different ISP with a vastly different IP, think area codes)
    *Significantly different windows configuration
    *Nvidia vs ATI graphics
    *Intel vs AMD (yeah yeah its all x86 but cpuid is a single simple instruction)

And none of that flags their supposed "algorithm" the first time? Fire that guy.
    Last edited by Aluminum; 2012-02-26 at 03:17 AM.

A good feature if the person mostly likely to hack your account is your little brother.

I never saw that. I thought it was strange since for the longest time I had to use my auth to log in every single time. Sure, it was a hassle now and then if I threw my keys somewhere strange after coming in from work, but I always knew I had that layer of security. Then for the past few months, when I went from my laptop to my desktop, it often didn't have a problem with me switching from one to another. I guess this was it and it must default to their IP-tracking technology which I think they brought up during a 6 mo. break from the game, since I don't recall it being mentioned while I was playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Aluminum View Post
    Its about time, its pretty sad I can pull out my SSD in a caddy tray, drive to someone's house and shove it an another computer* and launch wow from it with nary a complaint. After 2 or 3 logins it finally asks for the authenticator...sorry but by then if its not you your account has been stripped naked.
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

/facepalm

On Topic:
    Its good to have the option. Less complaining on the forums is a good thing. Next time i see a thread complaining about it i can just tell them to stfu and just enable the option. Thx op

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pejo View Post
    Good find. They were talking about adding this option so you had the choice of having the authenticator pop up everytime instead of using their IP tracking.
    I rather have the enter my Authenticator code everytime instead of one time becuase at LEAST i wont get hacked, and unlike last time where i got hacked within 15hrs apart!

Fucking hackers faked my ID twice and stripped my account twice, Blizzard was completly clueless.
    Australian Oceanic Multi Class Veteran of the Burning Crusade Wars!
    Twitter: @Romiretv
    Youtube: RomireTv
    Twitchy: My Twitch

*In another state on another slash /8 (for the non-technical: its a different ISP with a vastly different IP, think area codes)
    *Nvidia vs ATI graphics

And none of that flags their supposed "algorithm" the first time? Fire that guy.
    IP address has nothing to do with the hard drive.

Nope don't have an authenticator.

Come hack me bro!

yeah they added this a few months ago when people were complaining about the chance of being hacked or some crap... I personally HATE my authenticater, idk about ya'll. hehe.

*Nvidia vs ATI graphics

You know you were only asked for your authenticator code each time you logged in from a different IP address? So it would always ask you for your authenticator on the FIRST try logging in from a new location. You are blowing hot air out of your ass.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post

Come hack me bro!
    I love this false sense of security.
    Like it's completely in your hands to prevent being hacked (note: "hack" is a term used very, very loosely in this context)

And yes, I know, I know. Common sense, a strong password, never visit dodgy websites, never share your password and only log in on your own computer, and you should be fine. But since I have no control over the other 4.302.182.372 people worldwide behind a computer, I rather not take the chance, anyway.

That, and I can actually afford the 6 dollars it costs to have an authenticator...

Quote Originally Posted by Romire View Post
    I rather have the enter my Authenticator code everytime instead of one time becuase at LEAST i wont get hacked, and unlike last time where i got hacked within 15hrs apart!

Fucking hackers faked my ID twice and stripped my account twice, Blizzard was completly clueless.
    You got hacked twice, yet it's blizzard that were clueless, I really feel for the GM's sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post

Come hack me bro!
    I own a mac (nobody writes keylogging spyware for macs :P)

I don't download mac addons

I don't buy gold

I don't use any passwords that are the same as my WoW account

I don't enter or accept any funky downloads...

I don't visit any questionable websites

I don't click on any web adds or pop-ups...

I'm so damn secure I don't even get spam emails.

...and I got hacked.

Trust me, doesn't matter what "precautions" you take... you CAN get hacked.

Do yourself a favor and get an authenticator.

it's been introduced for a while now and yes I use it.
    I've never been hacked or anything but it gave me a pet. Then I got psycho and using it on every login (used to be angry at it requiring the code just once as opposed to my mobile banking token)

10+ Year Old Account
    The last time I got hacked was when I logged into Bnet from an airport in Germany on my way to Egypt. I had to reset my PW and call CS so many times. Also, my credit card company discontinued doing business with Blizzard at the same time. >.<

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    I own a mac (nobody writes keylogging spyware for macs :P)
    Don't kid yourself, viruses exist for macs and history has shown Mac OS is just as easily exploited as Windows by people who really want to do it.

On topic:

No, I never realized that. I'm debating if I want to turn that feature on or not. Playing WoW from two different computers gets frustrating sometimes when I go to log in on my laptop to check auctions from some other part of the house and it decides to pop up w/ the authenticator prompt.

With this feature enabled, at least, I'll get in the habit of grabbing my authenticator first

I noticed it but at the time I was more disturbed by the fact that I can log into my bank account from Los Angeles (I live in San Diego) without any problems, but my WoW account gets immediately flagged for questionable activity, even though I've been to my boyfriend's house before (lots). It still does it every time. And I have an authenticator and it always pops up. But it will pop up, let me enter the code, accept it, and then flag me.

I wish it had an option after you reset it to say "Yes that was me trying to log into my own account and yes this IP address is one I want to use from time to time so stop flagging it."

I can log into without getting flagged or bothered in any way:
    -Bank account
    -College records
    -Paypal
    -Student loan management website

I can't log into:
    -World of Warcraft

I mean, what the crap. I live about an hour and a half away, too, so while I would understand flagging for say, someone suddenly logging on from Nebraska less than half an hour after I logged off from California, I wish they'd adjust their algorithms to account for places it's actually possible to have traveled to in that period of time.

Even with that enabled, it still does it sometimes. I don't think it does it "instead" of the IP tracking, it does both.
    Last edited by neccowafer; 2012-02-27 at 05:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Those of you that say you will never be hacked are just in the line for them to hack you sooner or later it will happen....I heard about 3 weeks ago or so they now allowed us to change it were we had to use the auth each and every time again ...so I changed my account to require it...guess what 2 days ago even though I check my desk top system all the time and its protected ....they attempted to log into my battle net account...this is how I found out.

I was alt tab into the game with the wow forums up in back ground and I was logged into them......so I ran a dungeon on my little healer....after the run I wanted to do a bit more reading while relaxing.....so I tab back out too my Firefox that has wow forums loaded up and I was signed out...no biggie...that happens ever so often on those forums....so I click the blank pic in upper right corner to log back in ...and I get my sign in box and it states in HUGE RED LETTERING...TOO MANY ATTEMPTS"....that told me right away someone had attempted to break in ...I changed my password right away with my account...then went too my ISP provider...made a new email account and changed my wow account to that email account....ran sypbot...and other checker...didn't find a thing on my main desk top....so I checked my mom's old laptop that was given to me when my mom passed on ....I figured it wasn't dirty as my mother wasn't big into the internet....but I had forgot my son also used that laptop while he was visiting her.. I had used that laptop to read forums and log in from that laptop before...guess what I found out the laptop had a problem....so its all fixed both systems fully clean........

And I don't go to dodgy sites....I don't buy gold....I use anti virus...and key logger checkers....I live alone so nobody can touch my system....but like I said my son used my mom's laptop about 2 years ago and I just started using this laptop about a month ago to go online and read forums ....never logged into the game from the laptop cause it can't handle the game...its a older laptop.