Thread: Arena in gw2

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Arena in gw2

Am i the only one who would think arena would be awesome in gw2?

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Structured_PvP

Any competitive play is always 5 v 5, though you can make custom games or join custom games that range from anywhere between 1 v 1 & 10 v 10.

I like their system for pvp better than arenas in WoW. I like the idea that there's actually objectives but PvP altogether will be a HELL of a lot more balanced than WoW has ever had it. Which is a very exciting thing.
    The Glowing Piece of Radical Rock!

I don't know, I didn't like arenas in WoW at all, I'm not sure how much better GW2 could make them.

Well GW is a pvp based game , pvp has been balanced for 5 years and it'll be balanced in GW2

Quote Originally Posted by Progressiv View Post
    Well GW is a pvp based game , pvp has been balanced for 5 years and it'll be balanced in GW2
    Still don't get why people insist on this. If it was a PvP based game surely they'd have world pvp right? Not talking about WvW. Just because it actually balances the classes correctly doesn't make it a PvP based game.

Quote Originally Posted by AggroCrag32 View Post
    Still don't get why people insist on this. If it was a PvP based game surely they'd have world pvp right? Not talking about WvW. Just because it actually balances the classes correctly doesn't make it a PvP based game.
    That would be true if there were factions, but because of Dynamic Events, any world PvP could easily be used as griefing. You could make a 'Band of Bandits', if you may, and just stop people from doing events, or taking over an entire area. I'm sure they thought of World PvP, but they designed events and the game with ideas of "How this could be griefed and how would I stop it?" concept. World PvP would be out of the question.

I'm a huge world PvP fan, but I know that in a dynamic world such as this, where you don't have normal quests that it would be nearly impossible to take the griefing out if there was.

But yes, GW is mainly a PvP game.
    Last edited by Allanon the Mystic; 2012-02-26 at 07:59 AM.

Even though it has tons and tons of PvE content that is always relevant because your level scales? I could see labeling GW1 as mainly PvP. but this game is anything but that.

Even though it has tons and tons of PvE content that is always relevant because your level scales? I could see labeling GW1 as mainly PvP. but this game is anything but that.
    This I could agree with. What I meant by that 'it is mainly a PvP game', is that it's mainly structured around -a lot- of PvP, not that there isn't any or not a lot of PvE content.

I would like to see deathmatch style/objectiveless arenas. Would be brilliant in GW2, but the vocal minority likely will squash such an effort.

From a storyline perspective, you really couldnt have multiple factions and have only certain races allied with eachother. Every single race is out for domination, and they would not form alliances against eachother because the only common purpose they have is to defeat mr. Baddie dragon. Theres nothing that would make two different factions come up other than some so obscure and stupid it would ruin the story. Whiiiich as we all know is sort of important in gw1 and gw2.

Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    I would like to see deathmatch style/objectiveless arenas. Would be brilliant in GW2, but the vocal minority likely will squash such an effort.
    Gross. I never liked deathmatch style games even in fps. I find them to be stale and boring, that being said I fully support this idea as people who enjoy this sort of thing should be able to play it even if it is not my cup of tea.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaibhan View Post
    Gross. I never liked deathmatch style games even in fps. I find them to be stale and boring, that being said I fully support this idea as people who enjoy this sort of thing should be able to play it even if it is not my cup of tea.
    I'd like this aswell, and hey, it wouldn't really hurt anybody if they added it.

Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    I'd like this aswell, and hey, it wouldn't really hurt anybody if they added it.
    Besides the ones being killed ;D

10+ Year Old Account
    A deathmatch PvP mode would work fine in GW2 because there won't be any annoying healers keeping their entire team up. Not to mention how long it takes to kill a player in GW2, it would be much better than it is in WoW.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Actually arena does exist for Guild Wars 2.

Because Guild Wars 2 is all about social aspects, they allow you to join multiple guilds and choose between them each login. Naturally it makes it hard to have the original GvG to exist.

In their original game they did not like the idea that in order to be in competitive PvP you had to be in one guild. So what they decided to do is completely remove GvG and instead you are representing as a team. The teams will be exactly 5 players down from 8, so it will be easier to start matches.

The matchmaking system is exactly the same as the original Guild Wars, which means it is elo rating. Essentially when you are representing a team with multiple guilds and rating, you might as well say it is arena.
    Last edited by Deyadissa; 2012-02-26 at 12:59 PM.
    The most important thing to realize is, no matter what you experience you are never alone; no matter what you are struggling through, there is always someone who is more unfortunate.

It's Ok to Be Takei (Rank 35/ Fractal Level 22)

Unless you have numbers to back that up, I find it hard to believe that the people who dislike/are against arenas are the 'vocal minority', and in fact, I'd say the people who want Arena would fit that title better.

Firstly he was talking about GW1 not GW2 there was no WvW. but that aside GW is a PvP based game, hell you can buy the game boot it up and roll a max level toon purely for PvP without ever having to touch PvE.

Just because there is no factions and griefing in the PvE world does not mean it is or isn't PvP focused, it just means they didn't want to let people grief like they do in WoW, pre Cata had you ever tried to quest in the barrens at night? It was nearly impossible with the nightly griefing of quest giver killing on spawn for hours straight, and say your first toon coming into the game is a Tuaren/Orc/Troll, you get to level 10 go to the Barrens and then you can't do arse because you only play at night and the quest givers are being slaughtered, you then get frustrated and quit because you can not enjoy not being able to PvE quest on a PvE server.

Deleted
    I would definitely like a TDM hot-join PvP mode in GW2. And some sort of Skirmish mode in the hot-join menu would be awesome.

Well, a premade arena style play is certainly possible. Get two teams of 5 who want to fight arena style, make a private structured pvp game(You can do that afaik), agree on spot to meet, as fighting on whole map wouldnt fit arena style, ofc no resurections and voilaa! OFC, this is pretty much IH, but still.