15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cusco View Post
    Updated:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.30 GHz
    Memory: 16 GB Kingston HyperX DDR3
    Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
    GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5570 - I bought this very cheaply six months ago, as a temporary solution. But I just..don't run demanding games, so I don't need any better, I play wow and watch movies. The RAM and processor are rather cheap upgrades primarily bought for full-scale 4928x3264 photo-editing, and for creating 16000+x4928 panoramas. I know there are better options, but I like the 2500k.
    Hard Drive: Intel® SSD 520 Series 120GB, + 550gb shared amongst two other, old disks. Waiting for the WD CB 2tb 7200rpm to sink even further in price.
    Case: Antec Performance One P180
    Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 225BW + temporarily an old 17" LG L1715S
    Mouse: Logitech G5
    Keyboard: Logitech G15

And the camera equipment-figure has risen to around $5000. Quite remarkable when I think about it, I bought my car for $2900.
    Camera equipment worth for $5000 and not a single picture? Disappointed!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    Processor: Intel Core i5-2500k Overclocked from 3.3Ghz to 4.0Ghz
    Overclock with a stock cooler? How are the temps?
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    Camera equipment worth for $5000 and not a single picture? Disappointed!
    Haha, I thought about bringing the camera to my brother's house when he helped me upgrade (I barely knew anything about the process of upgrading a computer), but I didn't. I want to take great pictures, but I don't want to be the guy who brings his camera everywhere documenting everything.

For the sake of including a picture to my previous post, I did equip the 14 mm lens and external flash, crouched down under my desk, opened up the comp and tried taking a picture, but it's just too little space down there. I can fit the entire comp in a picture without problem, but the lens is manual focus, I couldn't get behind the camera and neither can I bother to unplug the computer and put it on the floor.
    Amateur Photographer studying Mathematics!
    Linkedin - Portfolio

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Biernot View Post
    Overclock with a stock cooler? How are the temps?
    Right now I'm running wow and a few other programs and it's at a steady 45C

Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    Right now I'm running wow and a few other programs and it's at a steady 45C
    Ya, you'll need an after-market cooler. The CM Hyper 212+ does wonders and it's pretty cheap.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by googz View Post
    Ya, you'll need an after-market cooler. The CM Hyper 212+ does wonders and it's pretty cheap.
    For what he is doing and the temperatures he is getting, he has no need of a better cooler. The stock cooler has been said to be fine for OCs into the 4-4.3GHz range, but really should not go above as it will struggle.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    For what he is doing and the temperatures he is getting, he has no need of a better cooler. The stock cooler has been said to be fine for OCs into the 4-4.3GHz range, but really should not go above as it will struggle.
    @ 4.3 ghz on anything but the best chip with the lowest voltage for that OC, the stock cooler is not up to the task in any scenario with 100% cpu use. Highest I went comfortably with the stock cooler was 3.8.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, full usage at 4.3GHz would be rough, but he said gaming is his main thing, and WoW never uses 100% CPU usage from what I have seen/heard, at least not on 2500Ks. ^_<
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    I'm fine with my overclock and I don't need a new cooler if I'm at 45C while raiding.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Service standards are appalling today. sometimes I wonder how the hell some these people get a job, it seems at times it's more important what's on their resume than how they're actually act in real situations. But that's a for another topic, I do like your "story" twist with the parking meter however. It's a nice monitor though, enjoy
    because computer people in general are finicky, we have brand favorites and hated brands, and all it takes for a brand to change from favorite to hated is one bad experience, the rest of the world doesn't understand this, it's due on personality type, and more common personality types are catered to, this is why companies like EVGA and Dell thrive and OCZ gets crippled, people with the personality types that tend to push them more towards computers love good customer service

also, gratz to Marest on the u2711, its expensive for a monitor, but still awesome, i gave up my eyefinity setup for mine

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    also, gratz to Marest on the u2711, its expensive for a monitor, but still awesome, i gave up my eyefinity setup for mine
    Cheers!
    Here in Sweden it's actually not that expensive as it costs the same as it does in the US (due to taxes it should be around 30-40% more expensive). The U2711 is only 40% more expensive than the U2410 here. Compared to prices on Newegg, where the U2711 is 65% more expensive than the U2410, I'd say it costs much less. (With currency converters, I paid around $900 for it. With our standard 1 Euro = 1 Dollar, it's closer to $600.) It's still a lot of money, but for such a good monitor of this caliber and quality I'd say it's perfectly reasonable.

I decided over the weekend to drop the second monitor from my setup. I rarely used it and I wanted to get (closer to) maximum performance from my build (I've seen a 5-10FPS increase in games like Skyrim and SWTOR, and the temps on my GPUs are down 5-7C), I swapped in my MacBook Pro for browsing and watching Netflix/Hulu. I also picked up a set of Logitech LS21 2.1 surround sound speakers, they were the only ones that I could find in the town I live in that got a decent review.

Click for full-size:

Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-02-27 at 02:20 PM.

That is one of the cleanest desks I've ever seen posted in a gaming forum.

Haha, I will admit that I did a little cleaning before taking the pictures (empty pop bottle, empty cereal bowl, etc). But all-in-all, I try to keep it pretty clean. It certainly doesn't get as messy as some of the desks I've seen in this thread! =P

Admittedly, I'm probably a little compulsive about keeping a tidy desk. I wish I could say that about the rest of my bedroom.

15+ Year Old Account
    Did you buy more fans to your case or just swap the top fan in front? How are the acoustics with one more front fan?

I moved the top fan to the front, put a 140mm NZXT fan on the side, and two 120mm SilenX fans on top.

My build in-particular is very noisy, but that's caused by the motherboard. I don't really know how to describe the sounds it makes, I usually tell people "you can hear it computing" - every time you use the scroll wheel on your mouse, for example, the motherboard will squeak with each scroll.

That being the case, I can't really tell you how much noisier it is with two fans on the front, everything else is drowned out by the squeaky MoBo. =P
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-02-27 at 03:32 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yep, that sounds weird Are you sure it's coming from the mobo and not speakers?

Anyways, was just wondering if I should buy two more fans to the top and front and run them slower but I'm not sure if that would accomplish anything. Also ordering some noice damping matt to cover the side panel fan hole.

Processor: I7 2600 3.4 GHz
    RAM: 12GB
    GPU: nvidia GTX 550 TI 1 GB
    Keyboard: Logitech 510
    Mouse: Razer Death Adder

Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    Yep, that sounds weird Are you sure it's coming from the mobo and not speakers?
    Nah, it is definitely the motherboard, the sound started as soon as I installed it (I swapped out a nice ASUS MoBo because it had bad PCI spacing). I've searched around, thinking that I might have got a defective one, but there are people all over talking about how noisy this particular MoBo is. It has a mini-fan attached to the VRM sink, and I thought that might be causing it, but the sound continues even when the fan is unplugged.

I'm just gonna have to live with it until I upgrade to Ivy Bridge and Z77 - which will probably happen around Christmas.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-02-27 at 04:05 PM.

Why not, since I'm a computer nut and well it's what I do for a living

Processor: Intel Core i5 750 CPU @ 3.7 GHZ
    Memory: 16 GB gSkill DDR 3
    Motherboard: EVGA P55 FTW
    GPU: AMD Radeon 6950 2GB soft-modded to 6970 2GB.
    Hard Drive: 2x 1TB Western Digital Black's + 1 120GB OCZ Vertex III SSD drive.
    Case: Antec 300
    Monitor: Hanspree 27.5" inch HF289H + 19" ViewSonic VX92 (really want either a Dell u3011,3007, 3008 or a HP zrw30 but I think the wife will put a bullet in me)
    Mouse: Logitech MX518
    Keyboard: Saitek Cyborg v2