Page 1 of 18
... LastLast

What Was the Reason You Quit Wow?

Some background on me: I started playing middle (ish) TBC and the first character I started was a warrior that I hit mid 30s I believe and switched to hunter (not sure why) and hit 70 with that. I was brand new to the game and found a group of friends on my server that I ran Karazhan with once a week and did heroics each night and had a lot of fun. After a few months I leveled a priest (which then was my main for 5 years) and I dedicated him to raiding with full DT/MH and 4/6 Sunwell pre-nerf clears
    I am not sure if this is the right section or if the thread will just be trolled/closed but I am curious about something so I'll ask and see what kind of responses I get. I do read posts here once in a while and one thing that made me want to make this post is tons of people say in lots of threads "people get bored after x years", "people get bored" ... etc ... etc ...

So it does make me wonder if you quit and you do still read this forum why did you quit?

I didn't quit because I was bored, I quit because I cant stand logging in anymore.. I am disgusted at what wow has become and I don't want to be a part of it anymore. I still love my spriest and I do miss being on him from time to time.

I loved TBC design and would even re-sub for a TBC server. My biggest wow regret is not playing during classic.

(As to why I am even on these forums as I am sure someone will say these are WoW forum... I check the swtor stuff and to see if the front page of mmo has started to get some swtor love)

I agree with you, but you are quite vague when you say you are just generally disgusted with 'what it has become.' I don't know why you wish you had played during vanilla, if you wanted to raid hardcore in vanilla that meant you had no life (even moreso than in TBC). When you like WoW the most it is like a drug, it gives you short term highs/fixes, but in the long run it amounts to a waste of time and potential. I suppose this can be said for every game, though most games ultimately have an end to them.

The truth is that I doubt many people would play WoW as a single player game for very long, the game itself and the storyline is not that good. What makes WoW so unique is that it is the 'biggest' MMO and therefore people feel comfortable playing it since they know it isn't likely to go under in the next 2 years. Why you really play a game like this is to play with other people, and I think that at some point people change themselves, and no longer want to play with all the other hamsters on hamster wheels.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Deleted
    Well for me it is as well the good old nostalgia sickness. As many people have already stated game haven't gotten worse - it has changed. And I don't like the changes. It doesn't matter if the TBC was harder or simply more time-consuming, but it seemed fun to me and that was what made me play at that time and makes me not play right now.

I stay on these forums because it makes me feel closer to the game, because I really miss it. I miss not only the game, but also players - my ex-guildies, people I played with for the best years of WoW. I was a guild leader and, even tho our guild wasn't the realm first, we had loads of fun running Karazhan and heroics. I loved the way heroics were, even with Shattered Halls being nightmare until you got into crafted epics and other heroics blues.

But I think that one of the things I miss in WoW most is how professions were important. It was another game in a game. Even if you didn't have a chance to do top raids, you could improve yourself in professions, earn money. There were people who were spamming trade channel and selling mad crabs and stuff.

So this is WHY I left WoW - nothing of that is left now. Yes I have less time right now as well, but that isn't even close to a reason why I am not playing. And I WILL be coming back when MoP is released even if it will be only for a little while. I still love WoW and I have loads of great memories buried in it

I played for as long as I did mostly out of commitment to the guild. Once the guild broke up, I left. The reason I do not even consider buying Blizzard products anymore is that they flat out lie to their customers. Cataclysm product description stated (and probably still does) that Cata would contain more endgame raid content than any previous expansion -- yet it contained only half the amount of WotLK's raid content. Blizzard doesn't give a shit about their players anymore, it's all about coming up with new schemes to put in less effort and get out more money.

Deleted
    horrible lore... non-scaling world and outdated engine

i quit b/c having to do the samething over and over again, raid, gather mats for exilirs for raids, lvl, pvp, gear and repeat, also b/c all my friends quit it as well, and imo it isnt very fun if you are playing by yourself, that gets boring

I'm still subbed, and suprisingly still enjoying this game.

Do I win? :3

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I realized that I wasn't actually having fun, all I was doing was obsessively chasing a carrot. A carrot which became obsolete every expansion pack.

For me it was the lack of roleplay (I didn't want to realm change) on my server and general dislike of what MoP is bringing to the game.

Plus GW2, so..

10+ Year Old Account
    Havent quit, dont plan to. Theres also plenty of other threads on this topic that you could search..

Lack of 25 man recruiting guilds that needs a rogue. My old guild died sadly and the stupid legendaries made it so every guild has their own now. How I miss this days when we were a rare class. If that doesn't stop it, my lack of DS experience and achievements does. No guilds seems to want to even give a veteran rogue a chance without a full achievement set anymore. Sad, because I know I could really do some damage in DS if someone would have me and I really miss the 25 man raiding environment. I'm always way on top of the charts in LFR with half firelands gear, when everyone else is rocking their DS set. O well...
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

Quit twice during Cata, - didn't really like the class\spell changes mostly with my hunter, then a RL friend asked me to come back so I level a bunch of alts up - just before Christmas decided to play my Hunter some and after getting the Disengaged\Deathgrip issue for the 4th time in an hour I logged out and let the last two weeks on my prepaid card run out, I've been playing Star wars online and trying the F2P star Trek. (still peeking in the forums seeing if changes are being made I'd like to play again but not as it stands now)
    Last edited by Dadwen; 2012-02-27 at 04:56 PM.

Still subbed, still having fun. Though I did quit after my guild fell apart in T11.

Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    you are quite vague when you say you are just generally disgusted with 'what it has become.'
    I wanted to keep my post constructive and to not have a chance of being called a "QQ" post. I suppose my biggest issue is with LFD/LFR and how blizzard is under the impression that if you're horrible and don't put any effort to play well at all (you can be casual and decent or even good/great) your class/spec you should still be able to see/do/clear everything fast.

if you wanted to raid hardcore in vanilla that meant you had no life (even moreso than in TBC)
    I didn't say I wanted to raid I said I regret not playing during that time period. I loved playing during TBC even if it was only an hour or two a night doing a heroic or grinding some reputation.
    Last edited by Brooxi; 2012-02-27 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
    I realized that I wasn't actually having fun, all I was doing was obsessively chasing a carrot. A carrot which became obsolete every expansion pack.
    a carrot that you used to be able to eat once an expansion, right at the end before the new XP came out. (unless you were really good at chasing carrots)

nowadays, you get to eat the carrot every tier, thats when i started to realise i dont like carrots, i liked the chase.
    <insert witty signature here>

Deleted
    I left wow for several reasons:

-The loot on my previous guild was distributed poorly: there were guys getting epics and tier over me, despite my performance and perfect attendance;
    -Said guild had lackluster performance to me; I was out-DPSing some main-spec DPS characters, with tanking gear;
    -Some of those main-spec players required a Rebirth-macro from me almost every fight;
    -Most of the person I loved playing with, have left the game; I got stuck with the others;
    -I hated this expansion and specially this last raid;
    -I am unemployed at the moment, so I don't have the luxury to waste time on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Procadin View Post
    horrible lore... non-scaling world and outdated engine
    Say what you will about the lore and the dumbing down of the game, but ragging on the engine is ridiculous.

The actual gameplay remains top tier compared to other MMOs I've tried (WAR, Rift, TOR) that emphasize style over smooth and crisp mechanics. TOR's heavily modified Hero engine is a great example of how tech that is 7 years newer can fall flat on its face.
    Retired GM of Temerity - US Top 50 raiding on a strict 3 nights since Ulduar. Check us out!
    https://www.wowprogress.com/guild/us/hyjal/Temerity

10+ Year Old Account
    I am still subbed because my guild has strengthened with every tier since ICC and I enjoy raiding with them.

I wouldn't stop playing unless I stopped having fun, however when I stop playing I will try to refrain from making 100 different threads on why wow sucks, is dying, or whatever.

I swear the only thing wow players like to do more then just playing wow, is complaining about how terrible it is and how everyone is leaving and its going to die.

Quote Originally Posted by zinnin View Post

I wouldn't stop playing unless I stopped having fun, however when I stop playing I will try to refrain from making 100 different threads on why wow sucks, is dying, or whatever.
    Please point out where I used the word "sucks" or "dying" or "whatever".

10+ Year Old Account
    Keep it civil in here. Seriously.